Essentials By Catalina

prairieannie

It says this on the product page for the clear...

I do see that NOW, but I definitely don't remember it being there when I ordered, and it definitely didn't show in the sample (1 lb.) that they sent me.

I'll try taking a picture later and see if I can upload it ... it's far from a "slight blue tint"

The other thing I'm baffled about is that the 1 lb. sample was pretty solid, but this block is so soft that I'm cutting right through it ... I really, really think something is wrong with this batch.

Any clues how to tell their WHITE from their NATURAL? I ordered both, and the blocks aren't marked. They look identical to the naked eye. I thought the natural might be more creamy looking, but they look the same to me.

(and yes, I've emailed them about every issue I've stated here ~ they have not yet responded)

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HI, the natural base I got is a yellowish color and more clear than white. You can almost see through it. It is pretty soft too. I am going to play with different additives until I am happy with it. Maybe some coconut oil will harden it up some.

Soapymomma

mine's not clear ... all 3 blocks are an off white color. I'll try melting a small chunk and see if I can smell the difference.

ok, here's a picture of a hunk cut from the block of CLEAR soap. I wish I had kept the sample to show the difference.

Have you had a chance to melt any of it yet to see if it clears up? I have a sample of the clear and white on the way and was hoping to be able to find a better clear but that doesn't look too promising.

Wow, that IS blue. Have you tried melting some to see if it will clear up? Have you tried adding some colorant to see if it will take the color ok? I'd like to know how that base turns out.

They say they are trying to make a SLS free clear, so we shall see how it looks when they get that one ready. Has anyone else who has used the clear gotten base that was that color? Is it always like that, I wonder?

Soapymomma

For those who have already purchased the white, goat's milk, shea or cocoa butter bases....can you share if these are in fact SLS free. I called the company and was not given a straight answer. The only thing I was told was that it was made with natural ingredients when asked if the product was ALL natural:confused: . I know that PrairieAnnie posted the ingredients but I'd like to know what you all are seeing on the packaging. This could very well be a great base, but, I do not like the fact that the ingredients are so top secret....that bothers me, kwim? Or, am I just being paranoid?

For those who have already purchased the white, goat's milk, shea or cocoa butter bases....can you share if these are in fact SLS free. I called the company and was not given a straight answer. The only thing I was told was that it was made with natural ingredients when asked if the product was ALL natural:confused: . I know that PrairieAnnie posted the ingredients but I'd like to know what you all are seeing on the packaging. This could very well be a great base, but, I do not like the fact that the ingredients are so top secret....that bothers me, kwim? Or, am I just being paranoid?

Not sure what others will experience, but the 5 blocks that I ordered have ZERO labels or ingredients list with them. Priority Mail boxes were lined with plastic (like Saran Wrap) and the soap was poured in the box to fill it. You can tell it was done this way because of the way the plastic is folded and stuck in the soap. I doubt that I'll be ordering from them again. I cut a hunk off the white and set it next to the white I currently use, and it's "ivory" in my mind. Not a bright white at all. That's exactly why I stopped using SFIC as well because the white just wasn't white enough.

my 20# blocks have labels but no ingredients, HOWEVER, Maria emailed me the list of ingredients without any problem. When I can put my fingers on it, I'll post it here....hmmm, where is it??

Well my filing system apparently works, here is the ingredient list I was given:

Ingredients Statement: MP Glycerin Soap Base:

Clear and White

Glycerin - 100% Vegetable Certified Kosher Glycerin

Sodium Cocoate - Sodium salts compounded with coconut fatty oils.

Sodium Palmitate - From Palm oil Non-detergent surfactant

Sucrose - Pure Organic Sugar

Propylene Glycol -Derived from vegetable glycerin or seaweed. The most

common moisture carrying ingredient other than water used in cosmetics

because it moisturizes better than glycerin. Is used as a wetting agent and

surfactant which gives a product better absorption and promotes spreading of

the product on the skin. Propylene Glycol is an emollient.

Dionized Water - chlorine and all toxic ions are removed

TEA Lauryl Sulfate - A mild, high foaming, anionic cleanser. It is

free-rinsing and hard water resistant.

Acetamide MEA - Used as a Stabilzer.

Cocomidopropyl Betain - A coconut oil, alcohol and betaine compound. A salt

derived from the fatty acids of coconut oil. Betaine occurs commonly in

beets and other vegetables. It is used as an emulsifier, thickener, foam

boaster and conditioner. Coconut oil is a highly saturated fat semi-solid

oil derived from the kernels of coconuts. Alcohol is manufactured by the

fermentation of starch, sugar or any other carbohydrate. It is used to help

dissolve or dispense one or more substances. Commonly used in shampoos and

conditioners for its cleansing, thickening and foam boasting properties.

Titanium Dioxide - makes clear base White *

(* Only for white soap)

Not sure what others will experience, but the 5 blocks that I ordered have ZERO labels or ingredients list with them. Priority Mail boxes were lined with plastic (like Saran Wrap) and the soap was poured in the box to fill it. You can tell it was done this way because of the way the plastic is folded and stuck in the soap. I doubt that I'll be ordering from them again. I cut a hunk off the white and set it next to the white I currently use, and it's "ivory" in my mind. Not a bright white at all. That's exactly why I stopped using SFIC as well because the white just wasn't white enough.

Thank you sooooo much for posting! Here is my thought...maybe they are cutting corners a bit for this sale by pouring directly into the flat rate boxes. That bothers me because I'd rather pay for the packaging, its easier to store. But then again, I just ordered 10 #s of Cocoa Butter from CF and I swear thats what they did too. It exactly the way you described in your post. As a matter of fact, I had a hard time getting it out of the box to break it up to freeze it because it was the same size as the inside of the box.

My issue with the ingredients is, what if you have a customer that is sensitive to SLS or wheat protein (which is found in SFIC shaving base) and you don't know it and then that customer has a reaction or gets sick? I think as business owners we have an obligation to those we serve to know exactly what we are selling. When a company goes out of their way it seems to keep these things quiet or a secret, it raises a red flag for me. How can you trust that? Thanks for confirming that I am not REALLY being paranoid....

I think I may just get 40 lbs and see if I like it but I am just a tad bit hesistant about ordering now....

I'm surprised that you weren't given a straight answer, so I just called them to see what I could learn for you.

They told me that all of their soaps except the natural base are currently made with SLS.. HOWEVER, if you call them and request a soap base with no SLS, or SLES, they would be happy to make it without for you. All you need to do is call them and let them know. The cost would not increase.. it may take a wee bit more time to whip up the batch. But they not only are happy to do it, they encourage it! She said they love special orders, and they are working on a suspension base and an ultra clear base right now! She said that their goal at this time is to try to keep the cost of their soap where it is now.. meaning the sale price!! The response to their sale has been great, and they were able to get better pricing on ingredients for future batches! So....

No top secret on the ingredients.. when you call.. ask to talk to Bill or Catalina. That's whom I have had the best luck with.

You can expect to hear from Maria or Catalina shortly! :) I hope they work things out with you to your satisfaction!

my 20# blocks have labels but no ingredients, HOWEVER, Maria emailed me the list of ingredients without any problem. When I can put my fingers on it, I'll post it here....hmmm, where is it??

Well my filing system apparently works, here is the ingredient list I was given:

Ingredients Statement: MP Glycerin Soap Base:

Clear and White

Glycerin - 100% Vegetable Certified Kosher Glycerin

Sodium Cocoate - Sodium salts compounded with coconut fatty oils.

Sodium Palmitate - From Palm oil Non-detergent surfactant

Sucrose - Pure Organic Sugar

Propylene Glycol -Derived from vegetable glycerin or seaweed. The most

common moisture carrying ingredient other than water used in cosmetics

because it moisturizes better than glycerin. Is used as a wetting agent and

surfactant which gives a product better absorption and promotes spreading of

the product on the skin. Propylene Glycol is an emollient.

Dionized Water - chlorine and all toxic ions are removed

TEA Lauryl Sulfate - A mild, high foaming, anionic cleanser. It is

free-rinsing and hard water resistant.

Acetamide MEA - Used as a Stabilzer.

Cocomidopropyl Betain - A coconut oil, alcohol and betaine compound. A salt

derived from the fatty acids of coconut oil. Betaine occurs commonly in

beets and other vegetables. It is used as an emulsifier, thickener, foam

boaster and conditioner. Coconut oil is a highly saturated fat semi-solid

oil derived from the kernels of coconuts. Alcohol is manufactured by the

fermentation of starch, sugar or any other carbohydrate. It is used to help

dissolve or dispense one or more substances. Commonly used in shampoos and

conditioners for its cleansing, thickening and foam boasting properties.

Titanium Dioxide - makes clear base White *

(* Only for white soap)

I was told that they do use Tea Laurel Sulfate sometimes in place of SLS or SLES.

That's an issue to me too not having the ingredients listed on the package. Its bad enough that they're not listed on the website. That's a big reason why I never ordered from them in the first place. The suppliers I order from have them listed on their website and in the packaging when it arrives.

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread to see how some of you feel about the bases once you have tested and used them.

Here is a copy of an email I got from the a couple of days ago.

Hi Debbie, Sure we can cut them into smaller chunks. Since we are pouring them into flat rate boxs that hold 20 # we can either slice it into 4 or 5 chunks, if we cut it more than that it may be difficult to fit it back into the flat rate box. Please be sure to put your request in the special instructions or call us since this is not something we automatically do.

Our melt and pour bases do not contain SLS but they do have SLES. It is not one of the main ingredients but they do contain it. We are currently working on a sulfate free soap base but are having issues with it not being clear. The white will not be a problem but clear will be kind of hazy. This is something we are working on. For now if you need sulfate free the only base we offer like that is the natural soap. Here is the ingredient list.

Natural soap

Glycerin

DI Water

Sodium Cocoate

Sorbitol

Sodium Palmitate

Sodium Stearate

Soybean oil

Sweet almond oil

Safflower oil

Jojoba Oil

Aloe Vera gel

Vitamin E.

Titanium Dioxide *

( * trace amounts)

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate in contacting us. We are always eager to help.

Thanks,Maria

That might help answer a couple of questions.

Soapymomma

Nothing like waiting till the last minute to get in on a sale! I was waiting until I got a chance to visit Wal-Mart to be sure I could find goat's milk locally. I've always used SFIC goat's milk soap, but decided to try EBC's white and add my own goat's milk since the price was so good. Next change I get, I'll stop by the health food store and get some of Dr. Bronner's liquid soap, too, to test out.

PrairieAnnie, I called to ask a question before ordering and spoke with Bill. I told him they have an excellent advertiser in you, but that I didn't know your name, only "PrairieAnnie." He said they've heard of you from several people--I personally think you should start getting a commission!

He told me they pour into the boxes to get the maximum amount in the box for the shipping cost, and I thought that was a great idea! Who knows--I may not like the result when my order comes in, but it sounded good to me in theory.

And one other note--when I've ordered SFIC soap, it's never come with an ingredient list, either. I had to call them to get that info or got it from their website--I can't remember now which it was.

Again, thanks to PrairieAnnie for telling us about this sale. I'm looking forward to trying it.

Jane

Nothing like waiting till the last minute to get in on a sale! I was waiting until I got a chance to visit Wal-Mart to be sure I could find goat's milk locally. I've always used SFIC goat's milk soap, but decided to try EBC's white and add my own goat's milk since the price was so good. Next change I get, I'll stop by the health food store and get some of Dr. Bronner's liquid soap, too, to test out.

PrairieAnnie, I called to ask a question before ordering and spoke with Bill. I told him they have an excellent advertiser in you, but that I didn't know your name, only "PrairieAnnie." He said they've heard of you from several people--I personally think you should start getting a commission!

He told me they pour into the boxes to get the maximum amount in the box for the shipping cost, and I thought that was a great idea! Who knows--I may not like the result when my order comes in, but it sounded good to me in theory.

And one other note--when I've ordered SFIC soap, it's never come with an ingredient list, either. I had to call them to get that info or got it from their website--I can't remember now which it was.

Again, thanks to PrairieAnnie for telling us about this sale. I'm looking forward to trying it.

Jane

LOL! Even Maria told me she felt like I worked for them! Hmmm.. perhaps they could pay me in soap!! I jest! I don't mind talking them up one bit.. I believe in their product and their customer service. Plus, I am the great enabler don't ya know?

My main thing is to try to spread the word about MP soap. And to dispel the ridiculous accusations from non MP soap makers about how a bar of MP soap is "nothing but detergent like you use in washing your clothes!"

That isn't the truth in every MP soap case, and me thinks that they "doth protest too much" :cheesy2:

I am here to tell anyone who will listen that MP soap can be not only wonderful for your skin, but leaps and bounds better than many CP soaps out there that dry your skin, stink, and leave you wondering what the big deal is! For me, it's not about spouting the differences of hand poured soap and something store bought, it's proving it with an incredible bar of soap! But it all starts with an excellent base for us!

Wow, I had typed up a long response basically telling you how much I agree with you, and it disappeared before I could post it!! I decided it was the soap fairies letting me know I was opening mouth, inserting foot, so I'll just stick with saying--yes, I agree with you completely! I love my M&P!

Jane

it's interesting that anyone had a problem getting the ingredients, i can't imagine anyone there not being willing to send the list if asked. and all my samples came with ingredients labels without me even asking.

i also got 20 pounds of white and 20 natural. i am not a kid and not particularly strong. the soap was pretty tight in the boxes, to be expected since it was poured in. for me, on the east cost, the priority shipping saved me a considerable amount.

the customer service ALONE is worth any annoyance in getting the soap out. that being said, i turned the box over and just shook and pulled, shook and pulled. it wasn't that big a deal for me.

i also inquired about a white natural base, and maria wrote that adding the titanium dioxide to the new natural base wasn't a big deal and they'd be glad to do it.

all in all i love them! :yay:

just my:2cents: ,

eileen

I ordered and have now used the clear base. It's blue-ish in the box and when you cut it but as soon as I melted it down it became very clear looking. I used colorants and they all came out true to color. Only thing I'm waiting on is the ingredients list...they should add that in the box when you order. Would make it easier for all. I will post them when I get them as I haven't seen the clear listed yet.

I ordered and have now used the clear base. It's blue-ish in the box and when you cut it but as soon as I melted it down it became very clear looking. I used colorants and they all came out true to color. Only thing I'm waiting on is the ingredients list...they should add that in the box when you order. Would make it easier for all. I will post them when I get them as I haven't seen the clear listed yet.

Look on the side of the box.....the ingredient list is on their label.. I just received my box a couple of days ago and it's there.....if not, let me know and I can give it to ya.

Crrie

dogmom if you order again just score both corners of one side of the box and then pull the side down and the soap slips out very easily. You can't reuse the box but I recycle them instead.

kandlekrazy, thanx for the suggestion! i actually didn't think of doing that.

i tend to save boxes, but i sure do have a lot now, so that will work for me. :)