Essentials By Catalina

prairieannie

I had ordered 40 lbs of the natural base a while back. When it arrived, it was a sort of yellow color and almost transparent. It has a fairly strong ordor to it. I didn't use it right away. Then I ordered again from the sale - hate to miss a sale. Anyway, it was a nice white, kind of pearly, and only smelled like clean soap. The yellowish batch was pretty sticky and hard to get out of molds even after I put it in the fridge for a long time.

I like this new one much better. It is very basic and does need additives, but I can feel good about it being natural and not containing detergents and can control what I put into it to make it better, so that is ok. My concern is consistancy. I have emailed them to see what they say about this. What do you guys think, has anyone else had this happen? Look at the difference in the soap. Both are supposed to be the natural base. Both have nothing added to them. The yellow one had been poured into a mold, but that is the only difference.

Soapymomma

post-331-13945845342_thumb.jpg

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, big difference. I would definitely wait to hear what they have to say. Once when I ordered, the label was a different product than what I ordered so Maria asked me what shape it was, she said at that time they were pouring different shapes for each white base so they could tell the difference without a label. I've never received any white base that was any color but white, no blue, no yellow. I do know that they moved this past year and I'm wondering if older stock was discovered and sent out??

Next to test the Shea Buter Base. Will post results soon.

Regina

Did you get a chance to test the Shae Butter base?

I got a sample and trying it as is. Very sudsy and not drying to my face, that's my tester, very few pass the face test. This soap is wonderful, wish I had them all tested before the sale.

I would purchase from EBC in a heart beat. But their shipping is much too high for me because I am on the north east coast. I wish they could ship me soap base in TWO flat rate boxes. I would save so much money. I just cannot see paying over $35 for shipping. :(

I would purchase from EBC in a heart beat. But their shipping is much too high for me because I am on the north east coast. I wish they could ship me soap base in TWO flat rate boxes. I would save so much money. I just cannot see paying over $35 for shipping. :(

my order from them came in 5 flat rate boxes. I personally didn't want it that way (P.O. doesn't deliver to my house since I'm in a small town, so I had to go pick it up), so I don't see why they wouldn't ship to you in 2 flat rate boxes ... Unless you're ordering something that just won't fit that way. I ordered 5 of the 20 lb. blocks, so each was in it's own box.

BTW ... update on my situation throughout this thread .... the ingredients were listed on the outside of the boxes, and I totally missed it! I'm used to papers being inside and never even paid attention to the outside of the box until they emailed me back.

About the blue "clear" soap ... I haven't melted it alone to see if in fact it does melt to clear, but it definitely gave my yellow soaps a gray tint. Their white is very creamy too, so I'm not sure that's ever going to work for me ~ I need a "snow white".

When I talked to them about the blue dye in the clear soap they said they actually have a yellow tinted clear soap too, but got feedback that it turns some colors an orange tint, so they now add blue to counteract that. They said they may offer a choice in the future. Neither are CLEAR, but at least you might be able to choose between yellow tinted or blue tinted. As PA mentioned, they did also say they're working on a "super clear", but said it will have a whitish cast/tint.

Noodle, mine was shipped in 2 flat-rate boxes. There's a link on one of the pages (I believe the first soap page) about flat-rate shipping saying to put "Please check on Priority Mail" in the Comments box.

Hope that helps you--my shipping wasn't bag at all, all the way from California to Alabama.

Jane

Noodle, what it says on the website is:

"Flat rate priority mail boxes hold up to 20lbs of soap

and ship anywhere in the USA for only $9.85"

I think that rate has actually gone up to maybe around $11 (I'm at work and don't have my invoice with me), but it doesn't show up on your order--they adjust when processing the order if you've added the request to the comment box.

Must add, though, here I am telling you all this stuff when I haven't even opened my box yet! DH had surgery yesterday and when we got home my two priority boxes were on my doorstep, so I haven't had time to open them.

HTH,

Jane

• 2 years later...

I have to say, I use EBC regularly for my lotions, body washes and sprays, and have spent quite a bit of time on their site. I don't understand why you think the company is not giving you a straight answer. Whether the bases are SLS free or not is listed clearly on the soap page. Link: https://www.essentialsbycatalina.com/shop/display_products_Glycerin.html The site also states on numerous pages that they will be happy to e-mail any ingredient list if you don't find it already listed. Nothing is "top secret". I have had nothing but great experience with the company; both products and customer service. Sorry, but I think you are being paranoid.

I have to say, I use EBC regularly for my lotions, body washes and sprays, and have spent quite a bit of time on their site. I don't understand why you think the company is not giving you a straight answer. Whether the bases are SLS free or not is listed clearly on the soap page. Link: https://www.essentialsbycatalina.com/shop/display_products_Glycerin.html The site also states on numerous pages that they will be happy to e-mail any ingredient list if you don't find it already listed. Nothing is "top secret". I have had nothing but great experience with the company; both products and customer service. Sorry, but I think you are being paranoid.

You realise that you are commenting on a thread that is over two years old. Back then they did not list any of the soap base ingredients on their website and it was very annoying. Yes they would email the ingredients if you asked but that is something that should never have been something you would have to ask for.

Are you sure you are talking about EBC? They do not have 5 lb blocks of soap, only 20 lbs. I actually called to see if they sell anything smaller than 20 lbs, as I am just starting to dabble in soap. The 20 lb blocks are poured in plastic-lined flat rate boxes to save us money on shipping. The plastic wrap is sure not Saran Wrap, as it was very thick. Not sure what the problem is there. And, the label with soap type and ingredients was on the outside of the box. In my experience the white soap was as pure white as it can be.

I do realize that. I just found this forum, as I have a little more free time now to work on my lotion biz. I have had such great experience working with EBC, it is odd to read comments like that. Obviously from reading these posts, very few customers are dissatisfied.