Essentials By Catalina

prairieannie

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dolphin--question for ya:

You posted your results with the natural and goat's milk but unless I overlooked it, I don't see anything from you regarding the white. If you've tried it, can you compare the white and the goat's milk?

I normally use SFIC's goat's milk and oatmeal bases and love both, but this white base has such good posts and the price is so great, I'm considering trying the white and adding my own goat's milk to some and oatmeal to some.

Any opinions and comparisons on white and goat's milk?

TIA,

Jane

Dolphin--question for ya:

You posted your results with the natural and goat's milk but unless I overlooked it, I don't see anything from you regarding the white. If you've tried it, can you compare the white and the goat's milk?

I normally use SFIC's goat's milk and oatmeal bases and love both, but this white base has such good posts and the price is so great, I'm considering trying the white and adding my own goat's milk to some and oatmeal to some.

Any opinions and comparisons on white and goat's milk?

TIA,

Jane

I haven't tried the white base yet. So I can't compare the two. Maybe someone else can chime in here.

Regina

Yes, the shea butter base, it's very nice. I'm now just buying her while and GM however and adding my own shea butter, which I also buy from her, lol!

I like the idea of adding my own butters and oils, makes me feel like I'm creating something.

That's what I'm doing now with the white SFIC. I know I sound crazy when I say this, but I'm just not that impressed with it and I'm wanting to try something new. I plan on trying EBC's white. I know their coco butter MP base is new so I was just curious if anyone had tried it yet :)

Sorry, can't help you with the cocoa butter base, it's very new. I probably won't try for quite a while it because I have lots of that yummy cocoa butter from the co-op to use up.

I've used both white bases SFIC and EBC and I like the EBC better....however....

Not everyone has the same likes/loves from a bar of soap or there wouldn't be hundreds of varieties on the store shelves. You really need to try it to see if it fits your needs. EBC used to do sample sizes which I think were 1# or if you can't find that, email her.

I want a soap base that does not contain SLS, that is why I use SFIC, however, EBC has that natural base which sounds completely wonderful, so I ordered 40 lbs and I am determined to find a combination of additives to make a bar that moisturizes and looks good. I am sticking with SFIC for the other bases because EBC bases other than the natural do contain SLES - a sulfate. I spoke to Maria there and she told me that they are working right now on a sulfate free base. She said that the sulfate free white is ok, now, but they are having problems getting the clear base to be really clear, so that is why it is taking so much time. Sulfates must cloud the soap base. Maybe that is why SFIC bases are a little less than completely clear. They do not contain sulfates. Anyway, EBC does not require the huge min. amounts that SFIC does and they will ship in ways other than private carriers, so if they do make a sulfate free base that is as good as their other products, I will be making a big switch. SFIC shipping is crazy high and I am only one state away from them.

EBC has wonderful customer service too, so that is a BIG plus. Can't wait to try the new sulfate free soap base as soon as they get it perfected!:yay:

Soapymomma

Yep, Dr. Bronners is a wonderful additive for bubbles!

To answer the question about why use liquid soap vs. glycerin and I'd like to take a stab at that..

Glycerin is wonderful for lather. It will help a *little bit* with bubbles. The liquid soap will boost your bubbles greatly. Some folks prefer the extra creamy lather, and some folks like lots of bubbles.. while others need to have both to feel like they are getting clean. LOL! So.. it's personal preference, and realizing that there is a difference between lather and bubbles I suppose.

Okay PA. I just purchased my first ever bottle of Dr. B's liquid soap. I had to ask the store clerk if they had one that was scent free. They had the peppermint, tea tree, and something else. But I wanted the scent free cause I knew I didn't want it to clash with whatever scented soap I'm making.

Now all I need to know is how much can I add to one lb of base? And do you add it to the base before or after you melt it? Thanks.

Okay PA. I just purchased my first ever bottle of Dr. B's liquid soap. I had to ask the store clerk if they had one that was scent free. They had the peppermint, tea tree, and something else. But I wanted the scent free cause I knew I didn't want it to clash with whatever scented soap I'm making.

Now all I need to know is how much can I add to one lb of base? And do you add it to the base before or after you melt it? Thanks.

You can add a LOT! If the liquid soap was not too pricey, I'd go with 3 Tablespoons or more if you want! You will love what this does for your soap! I have found that some liquid soaps can be drying though, so you may want to be sure you have a good moisturizing additive in there too like shea butter, or some such..

I always add it after the base is melted. Let me know what you think when you get it done! :)

The Dr B soap is super concentrated, I use about 2 tsp, or 1/2TBSP per pound. It is rather expensive, so you don't want to use more than you really need. If you don't add any oils to your base, just that little bit is plenty. If you add oils or other stuff that might cut lather, then maybe go as high as 1 TBSP. I add it after the base is melted, gently stir it in.

All of these ideas have inspired me to try some new things with the EBC natural base. I buy the natural liquid soap by the barrel from SFIC. It probably isn't as concentrated as the one you are using, but it is really good, so I'm going to try adding it to the base and see what happens. Heck it might improve all of the bases, uh?

Thanks for the great ideas -- I guess you can teach an old dog new tricks. :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:

Soapymomma

I got my goats Milk and White soap bases from EBC Saturday :yay: I can't wait to try them. But I have to wait I also ordered some new FO'S and some body frosting from them. And for some reason the soap came all 80lbs but my jars FO'S and body frosting are missing. Darn post office. I emailed EBC and they are looking into it for me. Darn I sure hope they find out were my other stuff went. :( But I do have to say EBC has great customer service they got back to me right away.

Regina

I also want to add that the cs from EBC is great. I called them because I had a couple of questions about their sale. I talked to Bill (owner, I think) and he was very nice and more than happy to box my soap and sprayers for the cheapest possible shipping. I received my order today (about 2 business days after placing order). Very please with cs so I hope the bases work well for me.

I just received my order, and I'm not very happy. I've never ordered from EBC before, but ironically had just gotten "samples" from them a few weeks ago, and then happened to read on here about their sale. The samples seemed nice, so I went ahead and ordered 40 lbs. white, 40 lbs. clear, and 20 lbs. natural. I always try to order 100 lbs. of soap if possible for the UPS discount.

First issue was they shipped the soap in 5 separate boxes via Priority Mail. I'm sure they meant well by doing so, thinking it might save me a bit of shipping $$, but they never asked me if that was ok. I had specifically selected UPS on my shopping cart. I have a UPS daily pick-up, so they're at my house every single day. Since I'm in a small town though, our mail does NOT deliver at home and the post office has short hours because of the town size. The soap arrived on a Friday, but I wasn't able to get to the P.O. to pick it up until Tuesday. Then of course I had to carry all 5 boxes ~ 100 lbs. of soap ~ to my van to load it myself, and then again unload at home. SIGH. Not the end of the world, I realize that, but again had I been asked I would have gladly paid a bit extra even to get the UPS delivery to my door!!

2nd issue though, and an actual problem .... the CLEAR soap is not remotely clear :( The sample I got wasn't "clear" either, but kinda cloudy like other clear bases, and still completely workable. These big blocks though are a blue/gray color ... WTH??? Did anybody else buy big blocks of clear??? If so, are yours COLORED?

I've written to them, but of course now I'm stuck because I have orders to make that require the clear soap and I thought I had 40 lbs. in stock that's now just not right.

HI, even when you choose UPS, if they can ship cheaper they will. What you need to do is to put in the comments box that you ONLY want UPS even if it costs a bit more. They will honor your wishes if they know them. I have never ordered clear from them because I want to stay away from SLS and other chemicals, but is there a chance that the base got really cold or froze? I know that can affect the look of soap base. Do you think it will change once it warms up? Try melting some and then letting it set up and see if it clears up some.

I'm sure sorry you had a bad experience. I believe they will do their best to make things right for you. I have always had good CS with them. One thing they did at my request that might be helpful to some of you who order from them, is they cut the huge 20 lbs chunks up into smaller pieces. They said they didn't mind cutting it into four chunks and that really helps me handle it easier.

Please let us know how things go with you.

Soapymomma

2nd issue though, and an actual problem .... the CLEAR soap is not remotely clear :( The sample I got wasn't "clear" either, but kinda cloudy like other clear bases, and still completely workable. These big blocks though are a blue/gray color ...

It says this on the product page for the clear...

Slight Blue tint in bulk form but colors clear as shown in pictures

Dolphin,

Let me know how you like their body frosting! As soon as I get tax $$$ I'm going to be buying a boatload of samples from them (frosting included)

I'm glad they were able to sort everything out for you!

I got my goats Milk and White soap bases from EBC Saturday :yay: I can't wait to try them. But I have to wait I also ordered some new FO'S and some body frosting from them. And for some reason the soap came all 80lbs but my jars FO'S and body frosting are missing. Darn post office. I emailed EBC and they are looking into it for me. Darn I sure hope they find out were my other stuff went. :( But I do have to say EBC has great customer service they got back to me right away.

Regina