Votive Mania

Asher

One reason I am not putting a lot of effort into pillars is that everyone's talent level would appear to be MUCH more significant than mine in this regard. I noticed there were just a handful of votive pics on here, so I'll offer a few now:

3candles.jpg

mania.jpg

The candle in front is affectionately referred to as the "McDonald's candle", owing to it's color scheme (that school bus yellow color isn't quite as orange as the pic shows). Also, the third candle from the far wall in the second row is the "Shrek candle". It's more vivid in real life and does resemble the color of our favorite ogre, Shrek.

Look at those tops! I'm jealous! I can't get a beautiful top on my votives to save my life. Once in a blue moon they come out as nice as yours...but hardly ever. I can make all types of pillars but I still can't make a decent votive. Good job!

Thank you all for your comments. I was going to mention that each one in that large group is from its own batch. Normally, I'll do eight at a time and save one as a 'sampler'. Honestly, I tend to save the best one as the sample candle, so what you see are the best examples.

With regards to the tops, I still encounter problems every now and then. It was a long trial and error process just getting them to come out nice most of the time. I just do the first pour, wait until I start to see the first few snowflakes develop (around 60-70 minutes), and then do the second pour. I rarely will get tops that are perfectly level. Usually, there is a small indentation from the wax setting, which is okay.

About this votive swap, I had heard something about it, but haven't read any details about it. I certainly have some to swap :)

Admittedly, this batch of red-topped cinnamon candles were just about the best I have ever made. The last time I had tried to use a white dye I didn't use enough and got drab grayish candles. This time I was prepared and just saturated the wax with it so it actually looked white. The red tops were an afterthought, believe it or not. These became the first batch of dual-color votives and perhaps the best.

candle1.jpg

Admittedly, this batch of red-topped cinnamon candles were just about the best I have ever made. The last time I had tried to use a white dye I didn't use enough and got drab grayish candles. This time I was prepared and just saturated the wax with it so it actually looked white. The red tops were an afterthought, believe it or not. These became the first batch of dual-color votives and perhaps the best.
That's gorgeous, but you'll be better off using stearic or some other additive to opacify the wax to get white. There's no such thing as white dye. It's a pigment powder that floats around in the wax and tends to clog the wick.

My blended wax comes out white....or gloss poly works too (steric can yellow after time)...just experiment...Top is right...too much pigment and you will have a pretty candle that won't burn....well I guess then it would be a "safe" candle. Certainly wouldn't "explode".....But back to the original idea....your votives are just the prettiest things I have seen all day. " Little Gems" is what I would call them. Donita

There's no such thing as white dye. It's a pigment powder that floats around in the wax and tends to clog the wick.

Yikes! Well, I had bought a Yaley white dye block years back and finally used it up with that batch of red and white candles. I did burn one of them already, so they are functional. However, I certainly noticed the way my mix turned cloudy. It was hard to center those wicks properly....of course, even in clear mix I have trouble getting that silly base to center correctly, especially since the zinc core is never perfectly straight.

Anyone here use centering pins that form a hole in the votive for the wick? How do you get the wick to stay in?

I use wick pins and I love them. There's a couple of ways to keep the wicks in place, you can hit the top with the heatgun just enough to get the wax around the wick, or you can dip the bottoms a little to secure the wick from the bottom. Another way is putting the warning label on, just 'taping' it into place will keep it together until you burn it.

Yikes! Well, I had bought a Yaley white dye block years back and finally used it up with that batch of red and white candles. I did burn one of them already, so they are functional. However, I certainly noticed the way my mix turned cloudy. It was hard to center those wicks properly....of course, even in clear mix I have trouble getting that silly base to center correctly, especially since the zinc core is never perfectly straight.

Anyone here use centering pins that form a hole in the votive for the wick? How do you get the wick to stay in?

I can't remember what site I got this tip from, but it is simple and works well...light a candle (if you can find one;) ) and when you insert the wick, keep it about an inch or so from the bottom of the votive. Quickly hold the wick tab over the flame from your candle (it really only takes a second or two) then push it frimly into your votive. I do this all the time and it works very well, not to mention that it saves me from having to keep picking up the heat gun!