Made a few suggested changes

Jokerjen

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, I'm sorry to say that ring-around-the-rosy thing makes me hurl. Maybe it's just me, but pretty much anything moving around on a site is disconcerting. But yours really, sorry, there's no way to say this delicately, makes my stomach heave.

I know my opinion means nothing, but I'm sure there are others who feel the same way and just won't say it.

Sorry.

Actually, I'm sorry to say that ring-around-the-rosy thing makes me hurl. Maybe it's just me, but pretty much anything moving around on a site is disconcerting. But yours really, sorry, there's no way to say this delicately, makes my stomach heave.

I know my opinion means nothing, but I'm sure there are others who feel the same way and just won't say it.

Sorry.

Well, you are entitled to your opinion.... but I really don't think it was necessary to be so rude about it.

And I have been a member of this site for 5 years and most people would be bluntly honest with me..if not in the post they would pm me about it.

You can't please everyone........

Don't assume people just don't want to hurt your feelings. There are how many posts to this thread? 3 or 4 are yours on this one alone and not many on your first thread. Don't ask for opinions if you can't take the good with the bad. Everyone does have an opinion and for some reason most aren't giving it. Maybe now they will :wink2:

As I said before, your products are beautiful, the photos and graphics are not. That blurred thing you have going on does nothing to promote your product. I think what some suggested was to put a gathering of some of your products, take a cool photo and put it smack in our face when we see your site. I don't think that thing you made, the carousel does the trick. Maybe a slide show going slower may be nice. Picassa does have some nice fancy templates to add web flash to your site.

http://www.paulvanroekel.nl/picasa/

I"m not into prim personally and usually back out of a prim design shop unless there is a great picture to grab me. I like the idea of your rotating product thingy but the pics go by too fast and if I miss one then I'm stuck waiting to see it again. Then when I clicked on a picture I was taken to a slideshow of some sort that loaded very slowly and I clicked out after 10 seconds. I like to click on a picture and be able to order that item instead of seeing a slideshow.

BTW - your red pillar set on the rotating thingy is awesome! That's what I as trying to click on-lol.

You have beautiful products. I would just showcase them more and let the pictures sell your work because they will :highfive:

Don't assume people just don't want to hurt your feelings. There are how many posts to this thread? 3 or 4 are yours on this one alone and not many on your first thread. Don't ask for opinions if you can't take the good with the bad. Everyone does have an opinion and for some reason most aren't giving it. Maybe now they will :wink2:

As I said before, your products are beautiful, the photos and graphics are not. That blurred thing you have going on does nothing to promote your product. I think what some suggested was to put a gathering of some of your products, take a cool photo and put it smack in our face when we see your site. I don't think that thing you made, the carousel does the trick. Maybe a slide show going slower may be nice. Picassa does have some nice fancy templates to add web flash to your site.

http://www.paulvanroekel.nl/picasa/

I'm not assuming people don't want to hurt my feelings, quite the opposite if you re-read my post.

What I was trying to get at is, there is such a thing as constructive critisim..people don't have to be rude in order to say that they don't care for something.

The last thread, I obviously paid attention and didn't get upset at what peole said because I made some changes to the site.

This site sure itsn't what it used to be, I can tell you that! I was around when the "oringinal" site first opened , and people not so rude and judgemental then, they were helpful, honest and tactful.(I noticed that most of the "rude" people are not posting their own sites or products ...I wonder why that is?)

I took a look at that picaso site, they do have some neat things, but for the time being I think I will leave my slideshow as is(may change the speed though), I have more votes for than against it (not just from this forum)

I am working on changing and updating things, but right now I just want a functioning site, a website is always a work in progress for the most part....

I would like to redo all my pictures, that was already planned, all the blurred out pics (again ...most people like because it centered on the product) was done a few years ago .....

I just haven't quite decided what I am doing yet .....:undecided

But thatnks again everyone for your input!

Now that I have a better camera, I can take some clearer pics as well, the last few pics have been so much crisper than the pics from a few years ago.

I think your site is wonderful!! You have a true talent at making such realistic looking (and smelling, I'm sure!!) candles!! :highfive:

And I think the comment about your slideshow was completely uncalled for and flat out rude! Hang in there, I think you're doing great!!!!! :D

I think your site is wonderful!! You have a true talent at making such realistic looking (and smelling, I'm sure!!) candles!! :highfive:

And I think the comment about your slideshow was completely uncalled for and flat out rude! Hang in there, I think you're doing great!!!!! :D

I agree

An those that talk rude .. can stick their comments ***********

Well, you are entitled to your opinion.... but I really don't think it was necessary to be so rude about it.

And I have been a member of this site for 5 years and most people would be bluntly honest with me..if not in the post they would pm me about it.

You can't please everyone........

The tone was far from rude IMO. Question asked and answered.

My opinion is that the movement is difficult to watch, almost painful to me = disorienting and all that. If it was slower it would be easier on me perhaps but I have no patience for that kind of thing so my advice is to drop it.

or not. ask for opinions get them. take 'em or leave 'em.

I do like your site in general - the color scheme is nice and calm and not too cluttered.

Tho you need new pics for most of your pillars - many are crooked. And there's something odd about the preserves pic - tho I can't put my finger on it. And finally, the blurry edges don't seem professional somehow - not sure if it's the idea or the execution but you may want to re-think that when you re-take your pillar photos.

And one last thing - I personally don't order from any site without at least a city and phone number. I don't think I'm alone in this tho I might be. You don't even have a name or anything - just the email address. Just something to consider, tho of course privacy issues and all that.

ETA: I do see your address now, on the payments page. Perhaps since you are putting it there you could also put it on the contact me page.

I agree

An those that talk rude .. can stick their comments ***********

Where is that? Unless you have something constructive to say in response to the thread, don't post to stir up trouble. People are trying to help is all. I know I am. I was not being rude in the least.

Hey joker, I wouldn't post my website on here for all the tea in China, nor my products. Too damn many thieves around. Plus, I don't get a kick out of accolades. I know my stuff is good, LOLOL.

The motion is difficult for me as well. I get motion sick very easily, and so I don't like the merry-go-round thing.

I don't think Sliver's post was rude either, it was just to the point.

I get the feeling from these website posts and the zillion gallery posts, that all you are looking for is lots of pats on the back and attagirls. You will get those (and have), but you will also get opinions that are not so easy to take. That's the way it goes on a forum.

I noticed that most of the "rude" people are not posting their own sites or products ...I wonder why that is?)

CUz I was hacked and wiped out so that's why you don't see my site or products. :o

I keep going back and looking at what you've got and right now I'm feeling the carousel (cool feature that it is) doesn't fit or it moves too fast ... can't decide which. So I've noticed some of the changes, but I've not gotten past the carousel. Now, what about changing it and seeing if a slide show would deliver more impact? That's the other thing I can't decide either.

Julie, that was not aimed at you at all...you know that! I was just saying it could have been put nicer than that..it makes me wanna hurl!

Camay, I am not looking for pats on the back, as previously mentioned, I have been a part of this board since it first appeared... the old candletech board, and any of the members that are still here from that time will tell we all always posted....lots. We called it sharing....

As far as the website goes, there are many members on here who's opinions I truly value, and look forward to their advice and feedback.

Everyone has varying opinions on everything ..... this thread obviously shows that very clearly.

Some people like the slide show as is, some don't......

Some people think that comment was rude, some don't.....

I guess what I am trying to say that is if you don't like something, that is fine, just use a little more tact and courtesy when replying....

This board seems to turn EVERYTHING into a debate somewhere along the line....

When most people post they are looking for advice, help, some constructive critisism..not to turn it into a debate, or a personal bashing. Or sometimes are just wanting to share because they are pleasd with the way something turned out.....

There are a few people who have posted they don't like my slide show as is, but have still offered some friendly advice.

See, you can disagree and say you don't like something without insulting the poster and saying it makes you want to hurl!:wink2:

And Jules, you said it would be nice to see product on the front page, I wanted something different from the rest, something that stands out, so I went with it....

Like I said still tweaking and such ....we will see...

I'm just happy that after such a long hiatus, I haven't lost my touch and I was finally able to pull a website together!:grin2:

And finally , I know my product is good, BUT I am new at the website building aspect....:undecided So I was looking for some advice...and to get a general opinion..

Jen,

You've done alot of work on this site. You can see it!! The carousel thing is cool, but I think the speed of the photos being enlarged is causing an eye problem for me (I get migraines, and get motion sickness, so sitting on a bus facing the wrong way makes me hurl). LOL!

I see the prim inspiration, but the photos (as I see them) have a vintage look. Two completely different looks. I think a vintage look on your site would be cool. It gives you the "old fashioned" look. There's alot of prim out there and it all looks the same to me after awhile (but, once again, it's not my thing). I do realize you are changing your pics though.

One more suggestion. Your home page, you could re-word the introduction and maybe use a different font to work with the theme.

Good for you. I can see all of your hard work. And welcome back to the board.

When I click on the website, I get a big empty space in the middle of the home page. Once I click on the product pages, everything seems to be find. Is there supposed to be a picture or something on the home page that isn't loading on my computer?

Jane

Camay, I am not looking for pats on the back, as previously mentioned, I have been a part of this board since it first appeared... the old candletech board, and any of the members that are still here from that time will tell we all always posted....lots. We called it sharing....

This board seems to turn EVERYTHING into a debate somewhere along the line....

When most people post they are looking for advice, help, some constructive critisism..not to turn it into a debate, or a personal bashing. Or sometimes are just wanting to share because they are pleasd with the way something turned out.....

There are a few people who have posted they don't like my slide show as is, but have still offered some friendly advice.

See, you can disagree and say you don't like something without insulting the poster and saying it makes you want to hurl!:wink2:

JokerJen, this isn't the same board it was 5 years ago. It's gone from 50-100 members to 8,484 members. You think with a group this large they are all going to agree, let alone give you kudos everytime you post. I'll tell ya, I've been on this board a very long time and I remember you from before you left the board but when I get online and 3 of the first 5 posts are from you looking for people to tell you you're great and talented just puts me off and I leave that section.

I don't look at the galleries anymore because there are 5-6 people that post every freaking thing they make. It's like a "Hey, Look at me, I'm great" kind of gallery and I don't want any part of it.