Pumpkin soaps

Scented

Yeah I know ... we're not close to autumn and it isn't even summer yet, but ...

when you make pumpkin soaps do you gals go with just the scent from pumpkin puree and maybe pumpkin oil or do you break out an FO? And if so, what recommendations have you got? Seems every pumpkin scent I've bought is a no for the body, but I wasn't interested in soaping it at the time.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have the sweet pumpkin spice from peak and it says it's suitable for B&B. I haven't soaped it yet but plan to later this year to give as Christmas gifts. I won't be using any pumpkin puree, will just use an FO and color it orange.

Yeah I know ... we're not close to autumn and it isn't even summer yet, but ...

when you make pumpkin soaps do you gals go with just the scent from pumpkin puree and maybe pumpkin oil or do you break out an FO? And if so, what recommendations have you got? Seems every pumpkin scent I've bought is a no for the body, but I wasn't interested in soaping it at the time.

I have not done a pumpkin soap but I did make a banana soap. I used pureed bananas (baby food) and a banana scent (OT's "Top Banana"). I've been planning on trying OT's "Ol South Pumpkin Pie" and adding some pureed pumpkin to the soap. So I say do both! I don't think the addition of the pumpkin will really add much scent but it might add label appeal. I'd add the FO if you really want the scent to come through.

I plan on soaping Pumpkin Frappiccino (sp?). I got this from Greenleaf a while back and it does smell heavenly. :)

You probably know this already... but if you do add puree pumpkin, discount your water. The last time I did a pumpkin soap, I didn't do a discount. And it stayed soft a LONG TIME. So you might have to watch what FO you use (seizers or accelerators) if you will do a water discount.

Well actually I didn't know that. Haven't made anything of this nature so see ... now's a good time to practice lol. I just need to find the right FO. I already soap with a discount most of the time. I wish Southern Soapers would add their pumpkin scent so I can check it out. Flicker's is discontinuing the one I have. OT, well I wish I would have thought of it when I was there ordering and so I'm on a search.

I was playing with a 90% shea bar just the other day and scented it with sweet pumpkin spice from peaks and pumpkin nog from JS. Ofcourse since I was soaping shea, I can't truly tell you if it accelerated, but man I had to put that soap under the sink because the smell was making me soooooooooooooooo hungry!

I made a pumpkin soap using pumpking powder, mollases, cinnamon and clove eo, and ground ginger. It smells nice and spicy, but it took 3 months to cure out and get hard!?! Next time, I'm discounting the water a bit, and using ginger and nutmeg eo to replace the ground ginger and clove eo.

Scented~~your banana soap sounds great. I'm thinking..add a touch of coconut fo.. MMmmm. :)

I read on another forum about using Lechitin (spelling) in soap when using a fast tracing FO. I have not tried it, but do have some on order. I was just wondering if anybody here has tried it and if so what was the results. I have a couple of scents that trace fast and am going to try it in one. If anyone has tried this, was is successfull? If not, I will post my results after I try it.

:confused:

LOL my recipe went something like this: 40% RBO 40% coconut 10% shea 10% castor. I used milk (raw milk from jersey cow) for the liquid and did about a 23% lye solution. It was the sweet pumpkin spice FO from peak, then I colored it orange using some turmeric. Let's just say there is no time to stop and smell the pumpkin LOL.

One recipe I saw used only 3 oz of pumpkin in a batch that made about 4.5 lbs of soap. Is that a usual amount? It seems awfully tiny.

That sounds about right... I assume too much pumpkin puree will rot in soap? lol I say rot.... maybe... mold? I wouldn't add too much. I think the last batch I did, I added only 2 oz.

Yeah, Scented got me jones'in to make Pumpkin Soap now too. lmao But of course, I LOVE the Fall. Summer's here and I'm screaming for Fall!!

BW Grammy's Yummy Pumpkin is great in soap, so is the pumpkin cornbread, but it isn't quite as spicy. The Yummy Pumpkin also gets the right shade for pumpkin pie!

Steph

I have to agree with you on this one. I love both of them. I add some pumpkin pie spice after light trace to give it a more spicy scent. i only add about a 1/2 teas for a 4 lb batch. I also use pumpkin puree. I do it as 1/2 the water with a 20% water discount with out a problem. i have some here that is about 2 years old it has no signs of mold, DOS or any other problem. It almost smells better then it did after a 6 week cure.

Oh and I added the FO to the oils, before adding the lye solution. This buys you an extra few seconds LOL.

Egads ... so in other words, I best be on a caffinated binge (or however that's spelled) ... I am going to have to play with this ... I can see it now ... I'll let you all know when to head to your bomb shelters (when I decide to try this lol).

Yeah, Scented got me jones'in to make Pumpkin Soap now too. lmao But of course, I LOVE the Fall. Summer's here and I'm screaming for Fall!!

I know! As much as I LOVE Summer, Fall is still my favorite time of year. Not that we have much of an Autumn here where it's hot as blue blazes 9 months out of the year.

If you can get your hands on some, BCN's Pumpkin Pie Closeout is by far the best Pumpkin scent in soap!!! I hoarded 2 lbs of it from the classies when I found out BCN had finally sold out of it! It is sweet & spicy all at the same time and the soap discolors to a lovely pumpkin pie color! I have had no issues using it, other than my recipe being a heater in general. Not sure if it is the pumpkin, fragrance or GM.....or a combination of the 3 but I have to soap it cold and not insulate--or I create an evil orange oozing monster!! :mad: