Pumpkin soaps

Scented

I just have to be the enabler again... :D

I just got my order in of Pumpkin Patch-ouli from JS. This stuff rocks. It was a tie between this one and Sweet Fresh Pumpkin from SW to soap. I think Pumpkin Patch-ouli is the winner. :)

It has the pumpkin note, a tad bit of spice, with patchouli bottom notes. The spice doesn't stick out though... it's mostly the pumpkin and patchouli. This one FOR SURE is going in soap. Now... to find someone to put this in wax for me for the Fall! :wink2:

Is that Just Scents? I've never ordered from them. Do they do sniffies or tester sizes?

The Pumpkin Patch-ouli sounds WONDERFUL.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Is that Just Scents? I've never ordered from them. Do they do sniffies or tester sizes?

The Pumpkin Patch-ouli sounds WONDERFUL.

Yep... Just Scent. :) I think she does sniffie sampler packs. This Pumpkin Patch-ouli... I am really liking it. And I'm not a patch lover (but I don't hate it either). I put a bit on the back of my hand the other night, and rubbed it in... then I couldn't stop sniffing my hand. LOL I gotta get this in soap soon, but I need to go buy canned pumpkin first. (Unless I use MY cooked pumpkin that I have in the freezer.) :D

MOAN!!! (We need a howling smiley, ya know?)

Fire, you take a pix lol. I wanna see, please.

Bethany, really any recipe would work wouldn't it? Or do you think that pumpkin might make more of a creamy bar? I measure as you do, but I got to wondering if maybe my favorite recipe is one I shouldn't use? Course I will have to alter it to put in pumpkin seed oil.

CBE -- You should be banned LMAO! You know, I bet that's a great FO combination like Chris R showed that Patch and Chocolate would be (and I was thinking she was crazy, but her soap was so intoxicating) and Patch honey (as long as I let it mellow out.) I can't order from JS, so I'll have to take your word for it and maybe think about putting a little patch with some pumpkin FO. Think I'll be starting on mine this week with GL's pumpkin harvest.

Scented - The ratios I gave were to help Darbla formulate a basic recipe by weight, not volume, not particular to using pumpkin. You are right, any recipe would work. In my experience pumpkin doesn't contribute all that much to a bar anyway (but I don't use all that much because I don't want it to go bad), but has WONDERFUL label appeal!

Darbla - I'm very glad this recipe has worked for you. however it is very hard to get the same results every time by volume, especially measuring solid oils. I know that millers is very reputable, but also know that seasoned soapers will tell you to use recipes by volume for accuracy. If you want to keep using this recipe and it is working for you, great. :) I was just trying to help you out. Once you get soaping more you will find that you will want a scale and to do your recipes by volume.

Well now that's interesting. I still have to go look for some stuff. Wonder why bananas and not carrots.

Thanks Bethany! I was hoping I wouldn't have to reformulate too much. I have the pumpkin seed oil and a recipe I was tinkering with was indicating more moisturizing than the one I use.

Yep... Just Scent. :) I think she does sniffie sampler packs. This Pumpkin Patch-ouli... I am really liking it. And I'm not a patch lover (but I don't hate it either). I put a bit on the back of my hand the other night, and rubbed it in... then I couldn't stop sniffing my hand. LOL I gotta get this in soap soon, but I need to go buy canned pumpkin first. (Unless I use MY cooked pumpkin that I have in the freezer.) :D

ah man, you're all a bunch of %$#*& enablers!

I went from a 1 oz sample of one fragrance to 5 lb of fragrances THAT I DON'T NEED. Geez.

ah man, you're all a bunch of %$#*& enablers!

I went from a 1 oz sample of one fragrance to 5 lb of fragrances THAT I DON'T NEED. Geez.

LOL Sorry. :embarasse heeheheheheee

Well, I JUST got finished soaping Pumpkin Patch-ouli. I DID add 1 oz. of Karma to my 4 oz. Pumpkin Patchouli FO (I can't help it, I like mixing) because I wanted a bit more patch in it.

Soaped beautifully, no acceleration. Not sure about discoloration yet, it will no doubt discolor because of the FO, but I also used some infused amber resin oil in this batch. I also added canned pumpkin. Smells heavenly. I'll post some pics if it ain't too ugly. :D

that sounds luscious. I have some Karma...maybe I'll try adding some. I also have a bunch of amber resin sitting around waiting to be used. I only ordered 4 oz of the pump-patch.

can't wait to see yours and get your feedback on the scent.

I don't know, it turned out pretty good quality wise the first couple times I made that recipe. I would think the lady from Miller would know what she was doing, and she may have formulated it by weight and translated it to volume or something for people who don't have scales lying around (which is probably most).

Just because you got away with something doesn't make it a good idea. One big problem is that the actual amount of lye in your measuring cup can vary dramatically depending on the granulation of the lye. And that isn't even necessarily consistent from the top of a lye container to the bottom.

Converting from weight to volume is only as consistent as your ingredients.

And measuring cups are not typically considered accurate.

I think it's time to invest in a scale. A cheap one is fine for starters. I got my first one at Target, and the ones at the PO are pretty fine too.\

(did I ever welcome you to the soaping addiction?)

That sounds about right... I assume too much pumpkin puree will rot in soap?
I have never soaped with actual food such as pumpkin puree or even bananas for that matter, so if this` question is off wall, please excuse me :embarasse as I'm still learning....but is there an additional additive needed so the soap won't go rancid like a perservative due to the fact you're using food or is that not neccessary.
And anyone posting here up to teaching a class on making pumpkin soap?
I would most definitely be interested in learng how to make a pumpkin soap using pumpkin puree.:D

Darbla - I'm very glad this recipe has worked for you. however it is very hard to get the same results every time by volume, especially measuring solid oils. I know that millers is very reputable, but also know that seasoned soapers will tell you to use recipes by volume for accuracy. If you want to keep using this recipe and it is working for you, great. :) I was just trying to help you out. Once you get soaping more you will find that you will want a scale and to do your recipes by volume.

I have a scale, and I even weighed the shortening. I even changed some of the oils. That lady has far more knowledge that many I've seen, so if she presents a recipe as workable, I'm going to at least give it a fair try.

OK I raided the baby food aisle and I'm disappointed that these stores don't do carrots of some kind (quite possible I forgot about them though lol.)

Someone figure out what I'm going to do with nanners, because I dunno. Got some, so let's work on something here lol ... not to take away from making pumpkin soap though.

Absolutely no pumpkin!!! Can you believe it and yet they had turkey, gravy and mashed potato something all stuffed in a jar. WTH!

So I'm using squash instead ... pumpkin is a squash right. FO will cover any yucky smell.

OK I raided the baby food aisle and I'm disappointed that these stores don't do carrots of some kind (quite possible I forgot about them though lol.)

Someone figure out what I'm going to do with nanners, because I dunno. Got some, so let's work on something here lol ... not to take away from making pumpkin soap though.

Absolutely no pumpkin!!! Can you believe it and yet they had turkey, gravy and mashed potato something all stuffed in a jar. WTH!

So I'm using squash instead ... pumpkin is a squash right. FO will cover any yucky smell.

You couldn't find canned pumpkin either? Hmmm.... Canned pumpkin is by the pie making stuff... like apple pie filling, blueberry pie filling...etc.

I don't think they make pumpkin baby food. lol At least they didn't eight years ago when I was buying it! :) I've seen sweet potato now!!!

Saw that sweet potato too. Well poop ... (go ahead and use the s word, I want to type it lol) I didn't look by the pie section LMAO. Back to the store to stalk the aisles and mumble again.

Anyone with whole and not dried cranberries though ... I need to see about getting them.

Oh batman. I swear I looked there lol. Either way, perhaps head to the bomb shelters tomorrow. Me has baby food stuff and the ingredients and surprisingly two recipes to try where numbers came close to what I use now. One recipe is supposed to be higher in conditioning values ... which will be a good thing should this blow up.

Scented, I just added one of those really small baby food jars to 4lbs of oils at trace - it is the smallest jars that Gerber carries. I used my regular soap recipe and did my normal water discount. I also added some jojoba meal and scented with OT's "Top Banana."

Here is a picture of my soap. It is the top middle one.

http://www.craftserver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70560&highlight=banana

If I add milk to my carrot soap, I noticed the lather feels creamy like when I soaped with bananas. I only soaped with bananas that one time but I am so pleased with this soap that I will soap it again.

Cozy Aromas,

When soaping with food like bananas or carrots, you have to be careful to not use too much or it can spoil. But if you don't use too much, I think the lye kind of helps to act as a preservative. As I mentioned above, I only used a very small jar of bananas. I made this soap about 2 1/2 to 3 months ago and so far so good. I've taken a bar in the shower and have one at the sink. It is very nice.

Oh my...this is just TERRIBLE~!

I placed my first order with Just Scent yesterday morning...and by 5PM I had a UPS shipping notice. Customer service like this can be addicting. :bliss: and even worse...what if the FO's are wonderful? :eek:

Oh my...this is just TERRIBLE~!

I placed my first order with Just Scent yesterday morning...and by 5PM I had a UPS shipping notice. Customer service like this can be addicting. :bliss: and even worse...what if the FO's are wonderful? :eek:

LOL Well, from first sniff of my pumpkin patchouli soap this morning... I'm ordering a way bigger bottle than 4 oz. next time! lol Yep, she's pretty quick on shipping!!!

As soon as I get a chance, I'll post some pics in here of the soaps. :)

No need to worry about the shroom ... me thinks it may the Glob come to life that will get you.

Christ! I'll pull pictures later, but unless I'm dreaming, I thought someone said this stuff would trace fast? Not even sure I ever saw a trace, but had two stick blenders I could burn out trying. Grrrrr.

If I screwed up we'll know when it comes time to try to unmold, but I'm thinking I need to stay awake to see the Glob come to life.

Too many firsts for this batch too. So we've got questions to go with the experience.

Since it was a new thing, I didn't take a water discount. Big NO NO! Discount that water lol and don't be shy about it is my opinion. Course it's my recipe too lol, but next time, we're at least discounting to 30 for the water.

Here I was making a two-part soap. (This takes forever in a small kitchen where the cat wants to watch. Course he got tired waiting for trace and the sb sounded like it was going to crash.)

Added 2 oz of Libby's Pumpkin filling into my oils. Even sb'd it just so it didn't look like a turd that sunk in water. (Hope you had breakfast lol.) Had a good looking pumpkin soup appearance and lye had cooled down. So made part one.

Since I have a threshold before patience runs out sometimes, I decided that when the sb's tongue was hanging out and smoke could have been next that it was time. Thing is, I'm by far not convinced it did anything. I could sb and you could see the filling float to the top, kind of applesaucy like. I could go again, close to a couple of minutes worth, stir and same thing.

Yes, I cussed. If I didn't, then it was a miracle. But when I'd hit the sb, it was like soap coming up from the bottom.

Got me to thinking that maybe the FO wasn't soap safe which would have been a tremendous downer. Bottle said body safe. Not sure body safe always = soap safe, 'cept:

Part 2. .5 oz in a 1 lb batch of the same oils, minus the pumpkin filling and the stuff went together. However, HTH (that's not hope that helps) do you use TD? I have oil/water soluable. I put in way less than 1/16th into the water and it didn't exactly dissolve completely, though I thought it did and added the lye. Was that a no no? I had a stream of white on the bottom of the lye pot for that one. I seem to have an off-white appearance for the topping part. Worried that the topping part will set up before the middle part and that the filling/middle will never set up.

So are there tricks? I mean now I'm not a virgin gourd user, but I had this idea that those of you who do this might be beyond crazy lol.

Oh no...that was a crappy first experience for you...I'm sorry.

My first question would be...Libby's Filling, was it just plain pureed pumpkin or was it the pie filling that has spices and stuff added? You want just pumpkin...nothing else.

I stickblend into my oils before adding the lye solution and never run into any separation problems doing it that way.

The TD...I mix my TD with a bit of water in a small plastic squirt bottle and keep it in the fridge. I don't use TD very often, but when I do, I just take the lid off the bottle, pop it in the microwave for about 10 seconds, shake it up and squirt in as much as I need. A dear soaper friend taught me that trick and it works like a charm.

I've always interpreted body safe to be soap safe. Safe, as in, skin safe. Doesn't necessarily mean it'll perform well in soap, of course.

The Libby's filling is just plain pumpkin puree, at least the last time I bought it. I remember because when I tried to make a pie with it, I was disappointed it wasn't already "flavored" and had to look around for my own spices such as nutmeg to flavor it with.

Hey Jbren!

It was just pumpkin filling. I didn't see the spice in this. Just solid orange. Can said just pumpkin too.

Stick blended too before adding the lye too. Going to let it sit till at least tomorrow or maybe longer to see what happens.

Here are some pictures.

[ATTACH]15795[/ATTACH]

See it looks a little well applesaucy to me just looking at the spoon and the side. So we kept stick blending and stirring. Seemed it took about 20-30 minutes (maybe. I should have timed it.) My thought was maybe the FO wasn't soap safe, because Drakkar FOs used to do that to me, but cutting into would show the lye pockets etc.

[ATTACH]15796[/ATTACH]

Obviously in the log. To me, it's got this shiney stuff on top, almost a gel. Let it sit like this while making up batch two or the topping, which ended up being spooned on and then just sat the bowl down till it got thicker lol. Enough time to do dishes really before spooning on another layer. Even able to flick some copper penny mica on top and take a tooth pick and pull the bigger blobs of that through the soap.

This stuff has set up pretty actually (the top).

[ATTACH]15797[/ATTACH]

I'm thinking the log look is what's under this.

So on TD you mix some up with water and just fridge it, warm it when you use it. You don't add it to the lye water then or you do? Or do you add it later?

post-23-139458447686_thumb.jpg

post-23-139458447688_thumb.jpg

post-23-139458447689_thumb.jpg