Pumpkin soaps

Scented

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ok Girl. Does Rob need some soap? All I use is Pumpkin Cheesecake from BCS.

I know you used that, but we're not ordering one item from BCS lol and you haven't been out making for awhile lol. You know he loves that soap of yours. However, we're wanting to try making a pumpkin soap in general.

I make a kitchen bar with Pumpkin Cornbread.

For a 36 oz. oil batch, I used 8 oz carrot juice

4 oz pureed pumpkin. I also add yellow cornmeal (2.5 oz for this small batch)

I sell them tied with fabric to the IKEA soapdishes. They sell very well.

cornbread-1.jpg

Those are so cool jbren!! What's behind the carrot juice? The beta carotene?

Thank you!

Well, as far as the benefits of the carrot juice, or anything like it, I don't think we know WHAT is left, if anything after the lye. I've used carrot juice, pureed carrot, tomato juice, etc. in other soaps, and I think more than anything, there is the label appeal. Hey...if Burt's can do it......

MY reason for using the carrot juice was more for color, as I thought adding more pumpkin would make for a soft soap. While the combination of the carrot juice and the pumpkin temporarily stained my Kelsei mold orange, you can see that the resulting soap was NOT orange...so there went that theory too! :laugh2:

LOL! I don't want to temporairly stain lol. Then again, that's what log molds are for right?

I actually think that's a great color for pumpkin. Reminds me of the custard inside. God I want a slice of pumpkin pie any more lol.

Well I don't have amber resin ... less you tell me where to get it ... and then I could try it too lol. The Oil of Amber I do have is just an absolute to-die-for scent.

I'm thinking we're going to have an experimental class taught by all who participate. Something a little different, but must figure out how to make it happen.

You can get amber resin from Snowdrift Farms. That's where I got mine. OR

Eden Botanicals. They have the resin AND the oil of amber. They also have packages for soapmakers. It's quite pricey... but man, it smells so good!!! Yes, I broke down and ordered soap package #1. :lipsrseal LOL I'll wait till this one comes in to try and experiment.

I love soaps with a fresh pumpkin pie scent. I like it all year round. Last year, I made Spicy Pumpkin from SW. It was a fast seller. I was still making it in January for those that loved it in the fall.

Last week I tested a new fragrance from Natures Garden; Pumpkin Apple Butter. It is da bomb!!! I love it. It is both spicy and fruity. It does discolor to a tan color.

Ann M

Hey I have that one ... just how bad is the brown? Some say medium brown and it's like the darkest brown I've ever seen.

The Spicy Pumpkin is a medium brown for me. It's like coffee with just a hint of cream. The NG Pumpkin Apple Butter is like butterscotch or cafe au lait.

Ann M

Those are very purdy!

I make a kitchen bar with Pumpkin Cornbread.

For a 36 oz. oil batch, I used 8 oz carrot juice

4 oz pureed pumpkin. I also add yellow cornmeal (2.5 oz for this small batch)

I sell them tied with fabric to the IKEA soapdishes. They sell very well.

cornbread-1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

This recipe I'll be using calls for a little over one pound of oils:

1 cup plus 2 tablespoons Crisco

1 1/3 cups olive oil

1/4 cup lye

6 fluid ounces cool distilled water

So would using 1 oz of pumpkin be about right? Someone mentioned 3 oz pumpkin in 4.5 lbs of soap, so I'm aiming for close to that ratio.

P.S. That's the super easy recipe from Miller Soap here: http://www.millersoap.com/USAToday/SoapArtUSAToday.html

I just have to be the enabler again... :D

I just got my order in of Pumpkin Patch-ouli from JS. This stuff rocks. It was a tie between this one and Sweet Fresh Pumpkin from SW to soap. I think Pumpkin Patch-ouli is the winner. :)

It has the pumpkin note, a tad bit of spice, with patchouli bottom notes. The spice doesn't stick out though... it's mostly the pumpkin and patchouli. This one FOR SURE is going in soap. Now... to find someone to put this in wax for me for the Fall! :wink2:

I would strongly suggest not using a recipe done by volume. It is very inaccurate and I'm disappointed millersoap would publish such a thing. All soap ingredients should be measured by weight. The only thing we know of that is same volume as weight is water, but I still weigh that too!

This recipe will have poor bubbles and there are lots better out there. A good very basic starter recipe is 40-60% lard or tallow, 20% coconut, and 20-40%% liquid oil like sunflower or olive.

Also one pound of oils is REALLY small. Try at least two pounds of oils.

This recipe I'll be using calls for a little over one pound of oils:

1 cup plus 2 tablespoons Crisco

1 1/3 cups olive oil

1/4 cup lye

6 fluid ounces cool distilled water

So would using 1 oz of pumpkin be about right? Someone mentioned 3 oz pumpkin in 4.5 lbs of soap, so I'm aiming for close to that ratio.

P.S. That's the super easy recipe from Miller Soap here: http://www.millersoap.com/USAToday/SoapArtUSAToday.html

I don't know, it turned out pretty good quality wise the first couple times I made that recipe. I would think the lady from Miller would know what she was doing, and she may have formulated it by weight and translated it to volume or something for people who don't have scales lying around (which is probably most). Anyway, I tweaked the recipe today before I made a batch, and a pound or so should be plenty to experiment with 'til I get better at this.

Hey Scented, I did my Pumpkin soap last night. I took Crafty's basic Goat Milk recipe and added the Spicy Pumpkin scent from Peaks and a little of a regular pumpkin scent and combined them!:drool:

I soaped room temp with no water discount and threw the Misty Creek Mold in the freezer when poured. I didn't bother coloring as I don't color my GM soaps. I cut it when I got home from work and it's a very pretty light pumpkin color. I'm sure it will darken as it cures but it smells great.

The scent accelerated some but not as much as I was expecting. Can't wait to try this one in a month!

Fire