71 members have voted

1. 1. Do you do refills?

• Yes -- On any container they have
    • Yes -- But I only refill my containers
    • Yes -- But only to family
    • No -- But plan to in the future
    • No -- For safety reasons
    • No -- For other reasons

I wont do them because its not worth it to me to risk a jar breaking and starting a fire etc. The way ive seen most customers burn candle,s just scares me to much. Glass weakens over time and if someones burning a container candle to long and its getting to hot who knows what disaster could happen. If anyone asks me to do this ,i point out to them the risks and that their not going to save that much any way as their only saving the price of the container. Besides the danger above its time consuming to clean a bunch of used containers and the cost of a jar dosent compensate for my time as far as im concerned. Lin

LOL. You go girl. Posts are kind of fun. Always interesting to see the numbers. ;) Oh. And I voted no - for safety reasons.

Aw shucks :o See what happens when I get a few free minutes LOL! I don't think they are safe either, but I had already posted that in another thread :rolleyes2 I thought this would be helpful to some to see what other chandlers did or thought, especially for those that are just beginning. I honestly don't think refilling a container to make a sale is worth the liability issues. Quite a few in my area do refills, and it doesn't seem to really affect my buisness, although I am always going thru and explaining why to them. Some see that I am a "safety girl" and realize how important that is, while I have had 1 or 2 refuse to buy from me, I figured they were the ones that would cost me the most on a lawsuit ;)

I voted yes-but only my containers, as I will be selling a hand painted tin bucket this year (I hope, if I get them done in time :rolleyes: ) that will be a little pricier than my reg. container candles, and since they ARE tin and not GLASS I think it will be safer for those to be refilled.

Only ONE refill though will be included in the original purchase price. Since I've never done it before, (sold this way) I don't know how they'll do, they may not even sell who knows??

I have tested and tested though to make sure that these can withstand the abuse. ;)

Otherwise, glass NO WAY, I just don't feel that they can handle the heat that they go through twice, or at least don't want to chance it. :eek:

I have a yes and no answer for jars and glassware NO NO NO NO but I have a couple of customers That I make candles for them in the quart paint cans and yes I refill those regularly for them. But these ladies are long time customers but I would not do it for just any customer.

I don't do refills either, partially for safety reasons, the other is because it takes too freaking long to clean out a container. It's not worth it, IMO. My jar cost is about $1.25 or so...that dollar is not worth the trouble in cleaning containers. :grin2:

I said no for safty reasons. And I use mason jars too. But I still will not refill them for the simple fact that I have no idea where that jar has been. I also will not take donated jars for candles that have beeen used for canning. Lot of people call me saysing they have free jars but when I ask if they've been used for canning, the answer is YES and I always kindly pass. Jar must never have been exsposed to heat for me to pour them and if somedoesn't know, I'll pass on the offer.

But no matter what, in my book safety is #1

No. did have a friend who brought oodles of candles when I first started and asked if I would refill and I said NO.At first I thought I would to her but changed my mind.She understood.I did ask her for some back if she didn't care and I would use for testing(myself).She cleaned the jars very good but really that old scent was there.So for safety NO.

I give a discount to friends anyway so to refill wouldn't be safe or worth it.

LynnS

Yes, I've done it for about 3 yrs & (knock on wood) have never had a problem. I only do it after a long discussion on the safety risks & the details of how I will only be guessing at the proper wick for a container I've never tested. BTW, I've only misjudged wicking a container once & it was a 3 lb candle in a brand new container that I had to remelt & rewick -- not fun. All my refills contain the following message on the bottom of their receipt: We cannot test the containers you provide for refills & we cannot guarantee the safety of a reused & untested container. Any container used for multiple burnings will eventually crack or break. You accept full responsibility for burning any container you provide for refills. NEVER leave a burning candle unattended!! As far as trouble -- I charge $1. an ounce for refills.

Susan.

Yes, I refill customer provided containers....they also get a long sheet when they place the order explaining they are solely responsible for any breakage & damage done by glass or wax, while I pour or while they burn. I clearly state I am in no way liable or responsible for damages occured while container in my possession or while in customers possession. I do not replace broken containers provided by customer if it breaks while I'm pouring. If I accidently drop it I'll offer to replace it...but that's the only example where I will.

This is a large part of my business. I have re-filled jars tons of time and never had them "weaken". I don't understand how that could happen since it's heat that created it to begin with. I'm not a glass blower but I used to hang around a glass blower's shop for hours on end and became friends with the guy and he would try to teach me how glass is made and how you mold it and what makes it weak and strong; what you can do and not do. As far as I remember the only time it was in danger was if you cooled it at the wrong time (dahhh that's a given) or to quickly. You can reuse jelly jars (not the rings) over and over and that's putting them in boiling water for long periods of time. If anyone can explain to me why it's dangerous I'd love to know.

You can reuse jelly jars (not the rings) over and over and that's putting them in boiling water for long periods of time. If anyone can explain to me why it's dangerous I'd love to know.

A jelly jar candle with a flame can burn for 40 hours or more. Now if you take the same sized jelly jar, and submerge it into boiling water like you would for canning, it may be in the cooker for about 20 minutes under pressure. So I will give you an hour time frame since I don't know the exact temp a pressure cooker gets too. I know peeps reuse these every year for canning, HOWEVER, do you actually think the same jars last for 40 years? What I mean, is you can the jars one year, and wait until the next year. The same jar is not going to last for 40 canning seasons. There is no way, generally, you can use the jar for 5 times or so, but not 40. So if you look at the 40 hour burn time in a jelly or any container, you are already exceeding the canning process. I hope this made sense.

This is how I explain it to my customers that ask. And most of them have canned in the past, and understand where I am coming from. They know that after a few years, the jars will develop cracks during canning, which results in an unsealed or broken jar.