Do you do wickless

Do you do wickless?  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Do you do wickless?

• Yes I sell wickless candles for the warmers
    • Not yet, but plan too
    • No because I don't think they are safe
    • No for other reasons

Wondering how many peeps do wickless candles. I personally think they are a waste of time. I know that I make a good quality candle, but my mother has burned mine on a burner, and after awhile, the fragrance is not there, but she still has a ton of wax left. I am thinking that it has to do with the fact that you are releasing all of the scent each time that you turn that baby on. Basically like a tart that runs out of fragrance, and it just leaves you with a blob left over.

I have a lot of my customers asking me about these. I don't think they are safe, as shown in another post. Testing is always important, I just think that with these, they are a hazard waiting to happen, cuz none of us know what a customer is going to do. So I just wanted to see how many of us sell wickless candles for these things.

I personally think wickless candles suck. :P

People buy candles for atmosphere and ambiance. Wickless candles are just glorified air fresheners to me. We can't burn candles in our offices, but I don't see any wickless either. I can leave a lid off one of my candles and smell it just fine. In fact~ its a great marketing tool. I know they sell for alot of people on this board but I just don't see the point in a candle without a flame.

I make them but only made about 30.I had people wonder what they were and some would say "What do you do with the wax".Glad that was asked.Also had some say I can just put a regular candle on my burner and I said No not really but if you ever do make sure the warning label if OFF( I know they will do it).I do put mine on the warmer with the wick Because I tested some left over candles from last year to see if they would be OK for wickless. I do think they are great for offices etc and for me since at times I have left my candle burning.Yes a candlemaker being negligent.

I got a phone call from a elderly man.He left a message.He said "we brought several candles from you".I was thinking before he could get anything out"What happened"? Then he said it has no wick.It is a wickless Apple Pie candle and I don't know what to do with it, will you call?I called shortly after and talked to him and explained what it was.I said I can give you a wick one but he was a distance and he said he would try it.He was going the next day to Wal Mart for a warmer.I asked "How were the other candles and he said FINE but just tried to light the wax and didn't know what this was.I did have the candles seperated from the wick candles but it was moved and he or his wife got a wrong one. I think these are also good for older people.Sometimes they tend to fall asleep during the day.Dose off.

I will make some but not alot of them.In this area people are just getting to know what they are. One man said his is on a timer for just before he and his wife get home from work and when they go to bed. So organized.

I understand the need for them in areas where you can't have a flame. I just don't see what those that will burn a candle would rather have one of these :confused:

I use them at work and at home as well as wicked candles, I have for over 3 years, the throw is awesome whether it be candle melts or wickless candles. Of course, like a wicked candle in time the scent will fade. I have one on a warmer in my bathroom 24/7 except when I'm on vacation and I also have a warmer on while I'm at work. I've had lots of sales just from people coming in my office and smelling my melts or wickless candles.

It's a matter of preference :cool2: I like both and make both.

I use them at work and at home as well as wicked candles, I have for over 3 years, the throw is awesome whether it be candle melts or wickless candles. Of course, like a wicked candle in time the scent will fade. I have one on a warmer in my bathroom 24/7 except when I'm on vacation and I also have a warmer on while I'm at work. I've had lots of sales just from people coming in my office and smelling my melts or wickless candles.

It's a matter of preference :cool2: I like both and make both.

Same here. I sell a ton of wickless candles and I use them myself. I keep one on in my bedroom and the ladies in my law school's office have one going constantly (which is great advertising for me :grin2:). I don't think they are pointless. I want my house to smell good, but don't always want to attend to a burning candle. So for me, it's the best of both worlds.

I agree with Mystical for the same reasons. They take forever to melt and my pillars scent the rooms without even lighting them. If i just wanted a scent id use store bought air fresheners as their small and less hassle, but i enjoy candles not just for scent but the relaxation i get from a burning candle in the evening. Most of my customers tell me they also just enjoy coming home after work and dinner and relax while burning candles which relaxes them after a stressful day. Lin

Wickless candles are just glorified air fresheners to me.
Yup, that is what they are Terri. Hee. I sell a fair amount of them - enough to make me consider not selling wicked ones at points. I personally think wickless/tarts throw better than wicked candles, without putting all that smoke and burning FO in the air. I think they have a great benefit that way. However, for ambiance they aren't anything special. Nothing tops a candle, I agree. Most of the time if I want to burn candles for ambiance I burn pillars. But for scent I like to go for wickless or tarts for reasons mentioned above.

What DO you do with the wax once the scent is gone?

Can you re scent it?

I am new at candles but have made a few wicked and wickless.I like the wickless best myself because I am terribly forgetfull.I have left the house before with a candle burning before :shocked2: I just about died when I got home and saw that I had forgotten it burning!

A soaper frined of mine's house burnt down a couple of years ago because they forgot to extinguish a candle.Fires just scare the crap out of me.

So that's the reason I like to make the wickless.I make mine either in the 8 oz jj or the 8 oz tins.I have found that the tins melt quicker and throw alot better.

The thing I worry most about w/the wickless is a child (or anyone) spilling that hot wax all over them.That would be terrible.

Well I am still fairly new to candle making, but I love wickless:yay: . I have made containers and some votives but wickless is sooo easy. As to a prior post of mine I just started selling some at work and they have been going like hot cakes. I think its alot to do with the area you are in maybe?? And as far as the wax goes well you can either throw it out like most people do with the used jars or containers or I have even added a little more scent to the ones I keep burning at work and it does last longer(I only do this for me not in the ones I sell). But like I said I am still fairly new and this is just my opinion.

Angie

I'm a flame girl myself, have to have that atmosphere. If I had to pick one, I'd pick a flame over a scent any day of the week. Heresy! LOL... Plus, then I have to carry the warmers to be complete, and who has room to store extra stuff - I just got rid of the last of my levine tart warmers.

I sell a few wickless and the candle warmers to those that can't or shouldn't be burning candles. Mom's like them for their girls who want to enjoy the scent of a candle but don't want the kids burning a candle. Elderly like them. I enjoy melting them in my home for the scent. Don't have to worry about remembering to extinguish them when I run out.

WE do very well with our wickless and warmers and would not consider dropping them from our lines.

What I can't quite figure out is the concern some of the posters seem to have with the leftover wax. We get just as many if not more hours out of a comparable priced container vrs. our wickless and when they are gone, their gone, in a jar the wax is gone and in a wickless the fragrance.

We are confident enough in our glassware that we offer an exchange program, (glassware is inspected for chips and cracks upon return) and prior to us refilling goes through our heat testing process we use for all glassware.

We do not reuse the wax that is in a piece of glassware when it is exchanged, unless we use it for firestarters or similar but we refill with fresh. If a customer returns one of our wickless candles free from defects they get $2 off of thier next wickless off the shelf. We have been selling wickless for a long time and have many customers that pick out two or three scents for a season then exchange for a different grouping the following season.

Our warmers and glassware have been tested extensively and we have had no problems in three yrs. other than the first glassware we attempted them with and discontinued.

As for spilling hot wax on one's self unfortunately that can happen with a candle too.

JMT

Wendy

So does that mean that the fragrance lasts as long with a wickless as it does with burning the same size candle from start to finish??? I guess I don't understand all the hype :confused:

I think safety is my biggest concern. I am glad that some of you have not had any issues, but it is still very scary. Do you guys have insurance? I was just down pouring a bunch of candles for the mall set up that I am going to do this year. I poured and poured, and since my basement is cool, I have had a few that have sink holes in the top :mad: Anyway, normally, I just heat gun it and it is good to go. However, I went to heat gun this one candle, and as the hole was filling, the whole top rim cracked off on me :shocked2: I look at the candle, and here is a huge crack down the side, with a hairline running u to the rim. Now, I inspect all my jars as I pull them out of the box, and yes, I have found a few that are cracked or chipped. But none of these had any "noticeable" issues. If this would of went out to a customer -- OH MY! Or if it was placed onto a warmer, then it really would of been a mess!

Yes Heather we are fully insured, have been in business for over 7 yrs. now as a candlemaker and 4 yrs. supplier, we are confident in our products.

The "fragrance" time with our wickless is dependent upon the fragrance however on average we get more hours out of our wickless per oz. than our container per oz. Glassware is speculative, purchase quality to start, test thoroughly and yes still expect things to occur. A glass can be bumped and damaged in shipping or as a customer carries it home, we control what we can.

Thanks for asking.

Wendy

I do not use glass because I have the same safety concerns you do, Heather. I do use the tins though, and I honestly believe they can be safer than glass period, regardless of wicks. The tin itself does get hot, but the wax does not get extremely hot, at least not with the 17 watt warmers I use. Not enough to cause serious burns, IMO. Yes, I have read where the tins can damage wood, which is why they should only be placed on a heat resistant surface. But as far as a fire hazard goes, I do not see how they could be since they cool down so quickly once they are removed from the heat. The only fire hazard I can see is if the wiring in the warmer was faulty, but you take that chance with any electrical product you use.

Yes, I sell wickless, and they are a very popular seller. I also sell refresher oil for them. Of course they are not intended to be used forever, but the glassware I buy is very thick and high quality, so they can be used safely for quite awhile. I've tested them for several months, and had no problems. I also stress the use of proper candle warmers (NOT mug warmers) on the warning label. I personally feel they are safer than a candle with a flame. Yes, you could have a big mess, if the glass broke, but not a fire.

I think the same consumers that like the potpourri simmer pots that were so popular 15 years ago, like the wickless candle concept. The problem with the simmer pots was that you couldn't let the water evaporate, and the wickless candles solve that problem.

IMO a burning candle especially left unattended would be more apt to cause a fire than a wickless candle burning on a warmer. :cool2:

Besides you can let a wickless or tart sit on the warmer all day, you can't do that with a wicked candle without trimming the wick or worrying about power burning

I also have a warmer on while I'm at work. I've had lots of sales just from people coming in my office and smelling my melts or wickless candles. It's a matter of preference :cool2: I like both and make both.

Ditto.

I posted this in a different thread ...

"I have recently started to do just that [Does anyone test fos in tarts...] w/ wickless candles in tins. I now refer to them as my "testers". I was coloring them, but the next batch of testers I do will be just wax (6006) and FO because that will create more flexible re-use options later. I've been using an electric candle warmer at work, & I do get a full melt pool so the throws, depending on the FO of course, has been steller w/ some. W/o the risk of setting on fire papers on my desk, this has been a great opportunity to hear the thoughts of others about various FOs as they're walking by."

One of my coworkers really liked the idea of the wickless candles. She has a teenage son who loves to burn candles & she has some fire safty concerns. Wickless w/ the electric warmers, in her mind, reduces that risk. Of course, there's always a risk, however slim, that there could be an elecrical short in the cord that could cause a fire....

As far as selling them .... I think each seller will have to figure out if wickless is worth their time depending on the dis/likes of their region.

As far as the wax when the FO has been completely evaporated .... hell yes I reuse it. Lol. Again, I'm just experimenting, learning, etc. I would "refresh" the wax by melting it down & adding some new FO. Probably be most inclined to use the same FO or a combo of FOs that included that scent.

I made up a case of wickless candles in a 16oz jar. I sold maybe a few at shows. Not many asked for them. I did not place them anywhere near my wicked candles. I do not make them anymore. They just don't sell for me. Most people that buy them for the warmers tell me they either leave the wick in it anyway. I would up having to give what was left of the case to my babysitter. She uses ones. She hides it behind some picture frames on a shelf. Although she did have it in a different place before this and one of the kids knocked it over and it got all over the carpet and she can't get it all out. There is a huge red stain there now.

I have one customer that will order them wickless and that is fine. She loves them, but she also came to a show I was at recently and still bought the ones with a wick in them.