What wicks for 8 ounce JJ ..

Just curoius on the CD wicks, what size you all use in your JJ's..

i have always used the hemp wicks, but there is only 2 places i order them from.. i am thinking of switching to CD wicks cuz most suppliers offer this type of wick..

i just hate to have to do all the retesting, but i can still make and sell the candles with the hemp wicks till i get the new ones tested..

now from what wsp is saying on their site a CD 8 is used with the 8 ounce JJ's.. but i think i have heard people saying they use CD 10's for most and 12's for the ones they need to wick up.. and i have also seen people saying they use CD 14..

so if anyone can give me a good starting point, i would be very grateful.. thanks..

What are the dimensions of your jar? Jelly jars are not all the same dimensions nor shapes, which is why there is a difference in the wicking. The 8 oz. widemouth canning jars that I use need a CDN 14 - sometimes can get away with a 12 - but those wicks would not work for a jar that was narrower and taller...

sorry ... the jars are 2 1/2 inches in diameter, and the jar is 4 inches tall

Nothing to be sorry about, a jelly jar is a jelly jar. Both the 8 and 10 oz are the same diameter.

The other jars mentioned above are either pint or wide mouth mason jars, which you did not ask about.

I usually use a cd10 in mine. On occasion I go up to a cd12 or 14 depending on the fo, but not very often.

It really depends on what soy you use...and the lot #. Many times the same brand can vary from batch to batch. A few years ago, I got 6 cases of really hard to wick soy. The same brand mind you, but with that batch-lot# I generally used a cd12 to start.

Try the 8's but 10's may do better it is hard to say. What kind of wax are you using??

I am testing CDN wicks now and am testing 10's in a different slightly larger jar so 8's may work for that jelly jar depending on the wax you use.

tootie

• 2 weeks later...
When I used the HTP wicks the 104's worked really good in that jar. But I really like the CDN's I am testing now....

tootie

Just curious tootie...If the 104 worked really, why did you switch to cdn? What were your pro's and cons? The wick curling on the htp? Also a cdn the same things a cd that everyone talks about?

Trappeur

Just curious tootie...If the 104 worked really, why did you switch to cdn? What were your pro's and cons? The wick curling on the htp? Also a cdn the same things a cd that everyone talks about?

Trappeur

That last sentence I put I was asking is a cdn and a cd the same wick? Just a typo...

Trappeur

That last sentence I put I was asking is a cdn and a cd the same wick? Just a typo...

Trappeur

I switched because the supplier I WAS getting my wax from started carrying the CD wicks. Also alot of seasoned candle makers rave about the CD wicks. I switched to them when I switched to the GW464 wax. BUT I am not done testing yet and may very well end up using HTP's again.

The CDN's are a little different than the CD wicks. They have been treated with something that helps them work better in veggie wax.

Stella knows alot about the CDN wicks and I am testing them due to her advice. The only problem with them that i have found is that I need to test SMALLER sizes and the suppliers only go down to 8. I need CDN6's and cant find them so I will be testing CD's in that particuler container with the 6006 wax I will be testing next week.

Search "CDN" and you can find some info on the wicks.

tootie

I guess I'll be trying out some new wicks too..

Just did my test run on some jelly jars I've never done.

Did 1 in a 104 and one in a 105

Both had a melt pool in an hour...They were not far off from one another at all....

So now tonight I'm going to try a 93......Thought for sure the 104 would have been the one...They both have been burning really beautiful but l think a little too fast for a melt pool.....So yep like we all say, test, test, test....

Trappeur

Trappeur........you make me sick!!, lol! You must be the test queen. I have a day job and can only test a scent/wick or two at a time. It takes me forever to test . You have done more testing and have got more results in such a little amt of time. I want to be like Trappeur when I grow up!!

Trappeur........you make me sick!!, lol! You must be the test queen. I have a day job and can only test a scent/wick or two at a time. It takes me forever to test . You have done more testing and have got more results in such a little amt of time. I want to be like Trappeur when I grow up!!

same here! work during the day, and try to make and test candles with a hyper 4 year old!:D

Hi guys!

I mostly use HTPs in 8 oz JJ, and either double wick with zincs or single wick with Premier 795/798 in any jar approaching 3 1/2 inches wide. However, I have found that the largest CD wick, CD22, burns hotter than either HTP 1312 or HTP 126. In general I think the CDs burn hotter than an equivalent HTP. Not sure why, both are same type of wick but different manufacturers. Mushrooming gets to be an issue though in the larger sizes and jars, but in JJ I can use HTPs and as long as it is not wicked too big, I don't have any 'shrooming trouble.

geek

Just these past few days I have been testing the jelly jars and this is what works for me...and I use c-3

htp 105 - got a full melt pool in an hour

htp 104 - got a full melt pool in an hour

(these 2 wicks were every so slightly not much off from one another)

htp 93 - got full melt pool in about 2 1/4 - 2 3/4 hours....so I chose this wick......and the flame is real nice.....

And I have no sooting what so ever...

Trappeur

• 14 years later...
39 minutes ago, Dee P. said:

I’m having trouble finding a eco 8 & eco 10 wick that’s long enough for “12” inch mason jars‼️ Please direct me to wear i

can purchase these items

Candlewic offers custom wick tabbing. 

On 7/11/2022 at 8:46 AM, Dee P. said:

I’m having trouble finding a eco 8 & eco 10 wick that’s long enough for “12” inch mason jars‼️ Please direct me to wear i

can purchase these items

12 inches tall? Boy, that's a large mason jar. I checked Lonestar, because I needed long wicks once, but their tallest ones are 10 inches. Good luck in your search.