Phthalate Free Suppliers

soycrazy

So does anyone think this will be a BIG DEAL? The news media has picked it up here in Texas & will probably keep talking. Most of my FOs are not Phthalate free. As I understand it, it does not apply to candles, just B&B incl soaps. This is about all we need, still not over the huge increase in soy. Should we :tiptoe: :tiptoe: ? Carole

Funny you should post this. I spent nearly the whole day researching this and founds tons of info (related to body stuff). I made the decision awhile back to go paraben free with my lotions, creams and scrubs and am now considering phthalate free for my synthetic fragrances.

It would be interesting to see what happens. California has banned phthalates I believe in toys and children's products. It hasn't gone into effect yet. Some scientists say it is fear mongering, some say the phthalates need to go. There is a big debate going on but I know several more states are considering bans--although I think they are targeting toys/child products as well.

I agree that we have to have an eye out for conflict of interest. But in this case I believe them.

Course I'm in the fragrance manufacturing industry...

Here's some info from IFRA (http://www.countrymeadowsoaps.com/blog/?p=444):

Recent misleading reports on the use of phthalates as fragrance ingredients have raised questions regarding their safety in consumer products. Not all phthalates have safety concerns. Diethyl phthalate (DEP), as used in fragrances, is safe for human health and the environment. The fragrance industry would like to make clear that consumers can use fragranced products containing DEP with confidence.

“Phthalates” is a broad term that refers to a wide variety of compounds of differing chemical structure. General, undifferentiating statements about “phthalate toxicity” have created confusion about potential safety concerns that are in fact only associated with specific materials within this group.

Here's a link to IFRA for more info: http://www.ifraorg.org/Home/Other+pages/Search/page.aspx/38?sRequest=phathalates

DEP is what I'm concerned about esp when I read the msds a while back. "Low vapor pressure indicates a low inhalation hazard unless this material is heated or misted. If heated, inhalation may cause irritation to respiratory tract. Symptoms may include coughing, chest pain and shortness of breath. Higher exposures may cause central nervous system effects."

This is why I'm staying away from them, because these are the symptoms I get with any fo's with dep in it. Even with a mask on, so I'm trying to avoid them. Even some candles do it so I stopped burning them in my home.

The other ingredients in your FOs are likely as bad or worse = same with EOs. But I understand that we each do what we can and different folks have different sensitivities.

But just for giggles - here's the MSDS for Bulgarian Lavender: http://www.newdirectionsaromatics.com/msds/lavenderbulgarianmsds.htm

"When heated to decomposition produces toxic fumes and carbon monoxide smoke."

"Avoid breathing in product by ensuring good ventilation when handling.

Avoid skin contact by using chemical resistant gloves."

I've been to this site before and go to the about us page and take a good read. I don't really think manufacturers would be for our best interest they just want to make a buck and say it's safe :undecided

Yes I thought of that, but I guess I've just been around so long (me and Moses are about the same age, LOL) that I know just about everything on the planet is going to be bad for us according to someone at some point in time. I cut back on eggs then am told later they aren't as bad as previously thought (actually seem to help me with my diabetes and sugar control), coffee & tea have been "Bad" & I was told to quit drinking so much tea, now they are sometimes touted as healthy in preventing some illness. So it goes with so many things , and I know phthlates are not foods and are not likely to be found to be "good" for us at some later date, just making a point that the media loves to find things to tell us and make us question everyday products, only later to be found false. Plus apparently phthlates are in practically everything from soup to nuts to coin a phrase, so I feel I am going to be exposed to them anyhow and the little extra in some soap or lotion is probably going to be a drop in the bucket compared to what mainstream companies are already exposing me to unbeknownst to me. As one supplier told me as I asked him about it, as soon as the media has something better to pick on phthalates will once again take a backseat. He also pointed out as is usually the case, testing is frequently done with massive doses of something and then dire repercussions are pointed out which would just not be the case with the small amounts actually used in products. I am in no way telling anyone else what to think, you all must make you own decisions obviously and as Care Bear stated everyone has different sensitivites to deal with. Who knows if the media hypes this much more I may have to go on the phthalate bandwagon myself, I'm just not totally convinced yet. Customers dictate the market and all FO may have to go P Free.

JMHO,

Glo

I agree that we have to have an eye out for conflict of interest. But in this case I believe them.

Course I'm in the fragrance manufacturing industry...

Here's some info from IFRA (http://www.countrymeadowsoaps.com/blog/?p=444):

Just read the above article Care Bear and this is basically what one of my suppliers told me sometime ago. He used the analogy that a wolf is a canine and wouldn't make a good pet but that doesn't mean other canines aren't good pets. So it may be with the "differing" phthalates. Only time will tell.

Glo

Now there's even a link between using sunscreen and developing liver cancer... I kid you not. (not enough sun may mean you don't make enough vitamin D, so if you don't drink milk and you stay totally screened via clothes or chemicals... liver cancer can happen.

It's a matter of balance, I believe...

The other ingredients in your FOs are likely as bad or worse = same with EOs. But I understand that we each do what we can and different folks have different sensitivities.

I saw some msds sheets on some fo's and man the chemicals looked scary to me. Weird thing is so far I haven't had any reaction to eo's (knock on wood). That lavender msds was pretty funny though.

• 1 year later...

I know this is an older post but I found it while searching because I want to only work with phthalate free and I wanted to add that some of the CS are (use their search and type in phthalate free) also I just emailed Peak and they sent me a list of all the scents with notation as to whether they are or not. If you are interested in the list you can email them and ask or message me and I'll send it to you.

“Phthalates” is a broad term that refers to a wide variety of compounds of differing chemical structure. General, undifferentiating statements about “phthalate toxicity” have created confusion about potential safety concerns that are in fact only associated with specific materials within this group.