Phthalate Free Suppliers

soycrazy

• 2 years later...

This is indeed an old thread started back in the days when just a handful of suppliers started carrying phthalate free oils. Manufacturers have since reformulated their oils and all the suppliers carry them now. Just look for them at your favorite supplier. But keep in mind that not all FOs are formulated phthalate free. If it doesn't say phthalate free it probably isn't so look carefully.

Edited by Candybee

Anyone know any phthalate free suppliers out there. I want to switch my soap to phthalate free fo's. I know southern soapers, northstar, BCN & JS has some, but I'm looking for others :)

CandleScience has some phthalate-free oils, and they said they are switching all their oils to that, if I remember correctly.

Very old thread lol. I'm not scared of phthalates anymore ;)

The nice people at Cierra Candle sent me a document which explains that the phthalates in fragrance oil are not the same ones used in plastic, and that they have been tested by lots of government organizations and such and found to be safe. What actually prompted my investigation is the discussion I am having with another member about whether or not it is safe to compost leftover wax. The oil manufacturers err on the side of caution and tell you to put a sealed bottle of oil in the trash or "other proper disposal". I am speculating that if an oil is phthalate free, it may be safe for composting. Jury is still out. Thanks for all the input!

The nice people at Cierra Candle sent me a document which explains that the phthalates in fragrance oil are not the same ones used in plastic, and that they have been tested by lots of government organizations and such and found to be safe. What actually prompted my investigation is the discussion I am having with another member about whether or not it is safe to compost leftover wax. The oil manufacturers err on the side of caution and tell you to put a sealed bottle of oil in the trash or "other proper disposal". I am speculating that if an oil is phthalate free, it may be safe for composting. Jury is still out. Thanks for all the input!

Trying to explain that to the crunchy people will make you pound your head in the wall though lol. Doesn't matter what kind of evidence you find, they still will believe everything the ewg says on this stuff. I'm not even sure if it would be safe for composting either since there are so many chemicals in fo's that are "secret" I'm sure that is why they say to throw them out instead of pouring it down the drain.

Trying to explain that to the crunchy people will make you pound your head in the wall though lol. Doesn't matter what kind of evidence you find, they still will believe everything the ewg says on this stuff. I'm not even sure if it would be safe for composting either since there are so many chemicals in fo's that are "secret" I'm sure that is why they say to throw them out instead of pouring it down the drain.

You are right. Once folks get a notion, they stick with it despite contrary evidence. I know that oil can break down naturally, but other chemicals, not so sure. The people at Cierra seemed to think it would be ok to compost the oil once the fragrance was gone, but I think it depends on the oil. Even reading the MSDS sheets, when available, does not totally answer the question. More research....