Just a candle nose!

So I went to bed, frustrated as hell about my candles not throwing out alot of scent, as most of you know from my other posts. But then the DH and I got up early because he had to take his vehicle into the shop and I had to give him a ride back, I lit my Secret Crush J223 candle before we left. I know you're not supposed to leave them alone but I did (probably not smart) because I knew we wouldn't be gone long. Anyway... when we walked back into the house the whole house was filled with the scent! Silly me.

Glad you got a scent throw...

Your Lucky your house did not burn down..

What if your tester jar broke, or your tester wick was to big..

You could have burned down your house and then some...

#1 RULE :

For you own safety and others.. NEVER leave a candle unattended.

I am not being mean. So don't take it the wrong way.

Just commenting on what you shared with the us..

Once, ONCE have I EVER left a candle burning and left, and that was an accident. I realized it after I'd been gone a while and even though I was only gone for 2 1/2 hours, I thought about it the ENTIRE time.... I was so glad for three things. It was a tin, it was almost full, and it was on my stove in the center of the kitchen burning with NOTHING around it.

Still, I thought about it CONSTANTLY. NEVER again. I was lucky. Don't be stupid and do it on purpose!!!

-Kristi

What a bloody stupid thing to do! What if you had been held up for whatever reason?? Do you think the fire brigade have nothing better to do than come and put out fires caused by morons who should sodding know better.

Anjie,x.

Well said! :highfive:

I can just see you telling the fire marshall that one-I'm sure he AND the insurance company would be sympathetic to that-NOT!

Glad it was candle nose....

I know you're not supposed to leave them alone but I did (probably not smart) because I knew we wouldn't be gone long.

The phrase "Famous Last Words" comes to mind.

Just to toss out a few common happenstances...

Flat tire....

Car breaks down...

Traffic accident....

Locking yourself out of the car....

You don't expect anything to delay you. But then accidents are rarely expected! There are different types of accidents though. Those that are unavoidable and those that are cause by pure negligence.

I admit, I have forgotten one burning and left the house before, to walk over to my moms next door. Sadly, my conscious mind doesn't think of it as going away since I don't turn off the tv or even close my front door when the weather is warm, but I try very hard to remember the candles because they pose a much greater risk :(

I test my candles in my dining room in a backing pan, a deep pan just in case something happens. My DD is in the same room watching TV. I've gone out to smoke, but never in my wildest dreams would i ever think about leaving the house for longer then the 5 minutes i'm smoking, and even then i'm looking through the window at the candle.

you got LUCKY

When I was little my grandmother thought her closet smelled a little "musty" so she lit one of her pillars made with the gulf wax anyways she lit the candle in the closet and went outside to mow, lets just say the parakeets did not make it and she spent the summer with us while the house was rebuilt. I remember a post I did earlier this summer I tested hot apple pie from JBN and I knew it was good because my house smelled great when I came inside from doing yard work. I guess genuis runs in my family natalie

Let me tell you a true story......

I love candles and always have.

A number years ago before I met my husband, I was rooming a super friend that was willing to take me in during my divorce when I had no place else to go.

Everything she and I owned was in that apartment... along with my 5 y/o son, our dogs and a cat. Below us in the downstairs apartment lived a couple and their son, all their possessions and their dog.

I bought some candles and thought I would put them in my bay window that was in my bedroom. My roommate mentioned after some time that she thought she could smell something burning. I told her that I would hope so since I had a candle burning in my room. I never went to check that candle.

The burning smell got stronger and we went into the room to find one wall on completely on fire. I, of course, panicked... in the mean time Janine is trying to put the fire out...which she did manage to do.

That candle had fallen over and ended up leaning on the wooden window casing. It could have easily fallen on the mattress.

It occured to me after the fire was out that I could have ruined the lives of 6 people. Best case scenario would be that none of us would have a place to live... worst case is that we could have all lost our lives because of my stupid mistake.

To this day I still feel guilty about what could have happened and what would have happened.

It's a lesson I learned well and it's a situation I never want to see repeated in my life ever again.

Kim

I left a candle burning once, and that was because I had gotten a call that my nephew was being life flighted to a trauma hospital. I was in such a hurry to the hospital I totally forgot about it, but, after driving halfway there, I remembered and called a neighbor to go and put it out. :( . What I didn't need was to come home the next morning to find my house gone too. I might be trying to make candles, but, I am so paranoid about them.

I've never left a candle burning in the house, and don't leave the oven or stove on either. I'm usually so cautious about that stuff. Anal about it even.

I did scare myself the other night though. I left my tart warmer thing on all night. Now it might not be so bad, but I was really upset. It could have gotten too hot and something melted and caused an electrical fire or something. I've heard of that happening. I'm afraid to use the thing now after seeing myself do that. :(

While I think it's great to have a healthy respect for the dangerous possiblities of a candle--it might be best not to get carried away with fear. No--we dont generally leave candles burning when we leave the house but considering what we have read on power burner threads there are a good number of us who burn candles for hours and hours at a time. When we are home. And nothing bad happened. Of course there is always that little margin of error---which depends a great deal on the makeup of the candle itself. I see a lot of candles in stores and even, I'm sorry; on here that I would never buy. Yes, they look pretty--gorgeous even. But are they safe enough to burn for hours and hours at a time? The sink is a great place to put a burning candle, if you choose for whatever reason not to extinguish it.