Thumbnail pictures

SatinDucky

I'm really not satisfied with my website so I want to make some changes. Well, ones that I can make or learn to without burning out my brain. First on my list is the pictures. I would really prefer to have thumbnails that can be clicked on to bring up a full sized picture, instead of the medium sized ones I have now.

I've been googling on these but I seem to get only pages with thumbnail pictures on them, not how to make them. Is there some kind of scripting involved or just tiny pictures with a link to the bigger one?

Can anyone point me to some websites that have info on this?

To make the thumbnails look decent I would resize the original to whatever size you want your thumbnails to be and then link it to the larger image.

You'll need to use html code to link it or there are some neat scripts available online that will do the code for you. Let me do a quick search through my bookmarks to see if I can't find the scripts.

If you use front page, which I do and it is an older version 2000, I post my picture the regular large size on my page. Then click on the picture and at the bottom of the page - that's where my toolbar is - next to the A there is a little "thingy" and when you put your mouse pointer on it it says auto thumbnail, just click on it and it will size it for you. When you upload your page you have to upload the original photo and also the resized one. Hope this makes sense.

Ducky, I'd prepare two images for each item. One very small for the page, then one larger. then on the "starting page" make the thumbnail clickable, saying it's a link to your other image. if possible make sure you make this link opening in a new blank window.

I don't know which software are you using to develop the site this should be a common way in html. Make sure you start resizing from a good quality pic.

for fast resize of images (even batch resizing) I found a good freeware, it's called Fast Stone resizer. it lets you also rename pics, so you can build a set, as for example "candle_01", "candle_02" ...

HTH!!

It might be easier to know which program you are using to deal with your site, and what cart you are using.

Some carts (like OsCommerce) automatically do it for you with the right option selected, while others, you'll need to go as far as entering whole new code.

Thanks ya'll. Being just pictures and links, maybe I can accomplish that :grin2:

I don't have a shopping cart on my site, it's more of an online brochure. I'm not ready for the big time yet...lol.

I think I had used Front Page to create some of the early pages. I mostly use Wed Weaver or note pad now. Though I've forgotten an awful lot about html coding since I made most of it a couple years ago. Need to do some brushing up.

as long as your going to be doing some brushing up and since you are using notepad you must be somewhat familiar with coding you may want to check here http://www.doknowevil.net/litebox/ I use a script like this alot for the site I design. Click on one of the thumbnails and it will open it in a css layer instead of popping a new window. if you get stuck pm me I will help

as long as your going to be doing some brushing up and since you are using notepad you must be somewhat familiar with coding you may want to check here http://www.doknowevil.net/litebox/ I use a script like this alot for the site I design. Click on one of the thumbnails and it will open it in a css layer instead of popping a new window. if you get stuck pm me I will help

Now THAT looks confusing...LOL. It just might be outta my league for a while :grin2:

I use paint shop pro 9 for all of my pictures. I'm in the process of changing pictures now on my website. I change things all the time.:confused: I feel sometimes I will never get it right. LOL My husband thinks I'm crazy cuz I'm changing things all the time.:laugh2: But with using this program I've found it's the easiest program for me when it comes to resizing or working with pictures in whole. With this program it's better to do your pictures by % instead of pixels. HTH