Oatmeal Box Mold

Donita

After my relatives had oatmeal for breakfast yesterday and I was about to toss out the box, it dawned on me that I should make a candle........you know....that little voice that drives us candle makers nuts (smile).....so I went into the studio and found exactly enough aqua chunks to fill the box. I sprayed it with pam first. I dyed the over pour with just a speck of aqua. When I unmolded it this morning, much to my surprise, it came out without having to tear the cardboard away. I took a photo of it as is in the rustic state then just now crackled it in snow. I scented it with Ice Crystals from Candle Cocoon. I am keeping this for myself. Got me thinking, if I can make candles in sand then maybe I could make candles in snow......oh no.....here I go again. Donita

post-248-13945843937_thumb.jpg

post-248-139458439373_thumb.jpg

post-248-139458439374_thumb.jpg

Donita you are amazing!!! I'm really enjoying seeing your creations! Thinking about an oatmeal container, that seems like a nice just right size for a larger pillar candle with just enough wax. Those wide ones seem like just too much wax, since they have to be triple/quad wicked. Hope to hear your burn goes well. Take a pict and post if you can, when you burn it. Really beautiful for a spur of the moment candle too. :)

oh no.....here I go again. Donita

Yeah, there you go again --- giving us ideas!!! If the soapers can use pringle cans then we chandlers can use oatmeal boxes;) I bought a pre-cooked roast thingy in a plastic tray from Costco a few weeks ago and after it was emptied, I used it for a soap slab mold.

BTW: have we told you lately that we love you:D

Thanks everyone. The candle is burning and looks great. It is so big that it should last a year (smile)......also notice that Crystal Lite containers look like great candle molds to me too. Well, actually, way too many things look like candle molds to me. If I live longer I am sure that I will experiment and just see what in the heck works. I love it!!!!!!!!!!!! When I made soap I found all kinds of things that were beautiful, especially European chocolate molds. Donita

Amazing as always, Donita!! Actually, I've looked at that container many times thinking the same thing. But.....doesn't it take a LOT of wax?? Just curious. Anyway, I'm envious of you being in Tahoe. Love that place. Take care, God Bless and have a great New Year!

Beautiful candle. I guess if it's got a hole or crevass, you can pour wax in it. I knew a lady who collected drift wood and she would pour wax in any hole she'd find. Of course it was for decoration, not to actually burn. Ginger

:naughty: Ginger.... don't get me started.....you never know where my mind will go.....pour wax in ANY hole or crevass....hehehehehehehehehe Donita

Normally for this size chunk candle I would use a #3 SB. But I am out of it so I used #2. This is different wax than I am use to and I have to wick down anyway. I have been using 2/0 and it works better, but I am still a fan of 4045 and 4045H. I have been power burning this giant candle and it is working. However, if I were going to sell this size I would play with some more wicks because the average person doesn't really know how to burn a candle. Donita

Julile......don't get me started. Now I have to go out to the garbage and dig out the juice can.......thanks a lot!!!!! (smile) Donita

However......I did buy 6 antique darling jello molds at the thrift store for 25 cents each and they will make some cute small candles. When I use jello molds I pour the wax in and when I unmold them I drill a hole for the wick so I don't have to have a hole in the mold. Someday I may decide that I will never use them for Jello and just make them into candle molds. I haven't made Jello for years. Donita

LOL!!! Yeah, but you can make some cute companions!! I just don't use juice cans. Now there is an empty poptart box ... you could go for squares! In all the candle books I have there's a make it yourself mold out of cardboard. If I could cut straight, I'd try it lol. Show off the jello molds. Wonder if they match my collection of things-intended-to-do-something-with.