mushroom/wick question

Okay I have been playing with this for what seems forever and I am stumped and not quite understanding what is going on even through all the reading.

I am using ecosoya CB135 no color and the wick is RRD47 from peaks, the scent is the xmas pear that bert carries. The jar is the 14oz bayside from genwax where the bottom is not as wide as the top. From one side to the other its about 3.5" on top

my confusion is the mushrooms I am getting with the RRD's. I have tried other wicks but keep going back to these cause I love the throw they give off.

I started with 8% but knew right away that I could go down since the throw was better then I had ever gotten. I then went to 7.5% and then 7% and then 6%. I at the moment have the 7% and 6% burning in different parts of the house to see if the % is what is causing my ugly mushrooms. (these are no little shrooms either)

The 6% FO has a 3 head mushroom on its 1st burn and almost a full MP after about 4 hours

The 7% FO has a 2 head mushroom and the flame is a tad high MP almost complete as well just thicker on one side but I know as it burns more in the future it will all catch up.

I think if I go with a smaller wick I would not be able to get a Full MP at all and not sure if it would help with the mushrooms. I can handle shrooms ( i think lol) but these are just huge.

Any help or suggestions would be much appreicited.

Sometimes just the first burn shrooms badly and after that they are little if you get them, so wait for your 2nd burn to judge these. Some fo's (regarless of the % used) just seem to make the wicks shroom all the way down to the bottom of the jar where others maybe a tiny one on the first burn and then nothing again. It's frustrating, but it seems we have to live with some shrooms or bending wicks or crappy MP. I'll take the shrooms over the other 2 options.

Have you tried a different brand of wick? I've never had much luck with the rrd's, I always got mushrooms. After much testing I've determined that the ECO wicks tend to mushroom a lot less then the others I've tried ... RRD, HTP and LX. I use CBA so that might be the difference in my test results with the rrd's.

Thanks, I am beginning to think this is a FO that shrooms all the way to the end. I have tried different wicks, LX's HTP's, CD's CDN's Premier 700's to name a few and I keep going back to the RRD's cause of the hot throw I get with them.

I have not tried the ECO's with this size of container so I may have to give that a shot and see if I have any down in my stck pile of wicks lol I have so many of differnt kinds that I had to break down and buy a wick caddy to keep them all seperate

RRDs mushroom because the wick stands straight up and the end of the wick is in the hottest part of the flame. The carbon builds up and causes the mushrooms.

"Self-trimming" wicks like CDs and HTPs have a lot less mushroom because the wicks curl when burned, moving the end of the wick out of the hottest part of the flame.

So I think if you keep with RRDs you are going to have mushrooms.

So I think if you keep with RRDs you are going to have mushrooms.

Agreed -- I got a sample pack of RRD's a couple of years ago and never went through all of them because of the really bad mushrooming.

ECO's and CD's work well in my experience - much, much less mushrooming.

Good luck!

A lot of things can influence mushrooming. Wick type, wick size, wax, fragrance, additives. Hard to tell sometimes what's the biggest contributor, except by futzing around to see what helps the most.

Let me tell you this though. When I used CB-135 I found it to be kinda shroomy, so maybe the wax is a significant culprit here. Trying different wick types is probably the best way to deal with that, but you may just be going for decreasing rather than eliminating the blobs. One member here burned CB-135 without fragrance and it still shroomed.

well thank you again to all of you, I have some curing right now that i just poured. I found HTP 104 and 105, eco 14, lx26 and my last cd12 and last cd14 so hopefully I can get some great smelling no mushroom candle out of one of those lol

• 14 years later...