need pillar help please?

I use mold sealer and wick pins. Before i got wick pins I used mold sealer. I learned the hard way you have to make sure the wick is completely covered by the seal or it leaks. Also make sure it's flattened around the edges the slightest opening will leak.

• 1 month later...

I use duct tape on the flat bottom aluminum molds and on the concave molds I use a wick stickum over the hole and then put a piece of duct tape over the wick stickum. I usually get about 25 to 30 pours before I have to change the wick stickum. I get more with the duct tape on the flat bottom molds.

I have a method, which I've used for years, that does not require plugs or tape or sealers, and I haven't had a leak since I developed it.

If you'll PM me, I'll tell you how it's done.

Fredron

:tiptoe: Better keep it a secret. Wouldn't want the Feds to come after you.

:rolleyes2

- Mark

I change my mind a lot and do it different ways. When I am doing chunk candles which has been one of my best sellers, the wax is so cool by the time it reaches the bottom that a wick screw just slightly turned so it doesn't cut the wick and masking tape works for me. I have noticed that on new molds, the edge is sharper and more likely to cut the wick. If that happens, I just poke a hole with a hot knitting needle on top of the cut off wick and insert a fake wick. As soon as you light the fake wick....the real one catches on fire. I haven't had to do that many but if it is a $40 candle, then you can be sure I am going to save it. There are molds from Don at North Valley Candles. They are aluminum tubes. Only round. They fit into some kind of flexible base with a groove in it for the cylinder. Then you thread the wick in a wicking needle and push it through. No leaks at all. You have to use flat braid wick so it will go through the eye of the needle. He told me that a big name candle company....one we all know....uses them. I also have been known to put my molds on top of damp sand. If anything leaks out it is stopped immediately by the water in the sand. Of course this wouldn't be practical if you were making hundreds of candles in a day (smile).....but as I said...most of my pillars are chunk candles. I have rubber plugs that you insert after you place the wick through the hold....then wrap the wick around the plug. I mainly use plugs to seal the bottom of a mold that I want to use as a hurricane. Then, a very easy way is to use wick pins. I seal the bottom of the mold with metal tape, put in the wicking rod....center it with whatever you want....you can buy the set up, or use a piece of cardboard with a hole poked in it. I have a bunch of small lampshade rings with a hole in the center. I put that over the wicking rod and adjust it so the wick rod is centered. After you un mold your candle, push a pre waxed hard wick through the hold and level the candle. It will secure it from the bottom. Donita