Joy Wax

Joy is something I've never tried (or experienced much for that matter).

I was doing some research on it last night in the archives and saw it was based in Ohio. I guess what I'd like to know is what is so different about it other than mixing soy and paraffin at 98% and 2%? Is it really different than that and have you tried your own mix?

And can the Joy users here confirm that zincs are the wicks of choice for this?

Any pros/cons would be appreciated. Thank you!

I have to try everything "new"....lol

I tried it when it first came out....

I loved the look, it set fast....did not have to cure long...

after I got my first batch, I think they had a 'revised" vesrsion, I also tried that....

same results....my biggest problem was no matter what wick I used or how much I cut back on f/o I got black on the glass....and trouble with smoking when the candle was burning....scent throw was awesome though...

It just was not a good wax for me...and not worth the shipping cost as I am in Texas.

HTH!

Karen

I can see the issue you had with the shipping.

Hmmm ... that is not good. (the sooting). I'm sure you tried going down with wick sizes? I know when I used parasoy I had to wick down 4 sizes of LXs for the same container size and I remember one time with the wrong wick it puffed.

I'm wondering if that is a symptom of ALL the soy/paraffin blends? (I just don't have a lot of experience with them to know.)

Thanks for your post.

I have used the old version and the new version and I WON'T use anything else for my containers. I absolutely love it. The only time I've ever had any soot from this wax is when my wick is too large. I use only zinc wicks in this wax and have great results, clean burn, awesome throw, both cold and hot.

To me it's easier to purchase their preblended Joy than it is to purchase 2 different waxes and have to mix. HTH Portia

Perfect timing for this question....I just emailed Nature's Garden for them to suggest a wick using Joy with the 8 oz square mason jar. I got a slab last month and I am still stumped on the wicking. I see they suggest zinc but in the Joy kit that you can buy with jars/wicking/joy/scent they send hemp wicks. HMMM, maybe someone can suggest a wick that will work without smoking.

I love hemp wicks, and they don't smoke in my 50/50 wax. After the rec. from ChrisR, I ordered the LX wicks and they are wonderful. Try them, they are my new best friend. LOL No mushrooms, no soot, no smoke. Just a very nice clean burn. I am switching to LX.

Well, I've been using LXs for 2 years so I'm set there. Plus I've got a sample pack of zincs so thats covered. Maybe I should just try a slab. Its not the paraffin which at that percentage is no big deal, I'm sure clean up is just as easy - I just have this odd feeling about ordering a wax I can get from only ONE supplier.

So Jordon, I guess you are saying that the zincs will shroom in this blend, but the LXs less so? I've been using LXs for so long for just about everything but BW, but I can remember getting nice burns with plain soy with cottons for the brief time I used them - just hated the mushrooming.

Oh - how messy is this? Is it like a stick-to-the plastic wrapper type of wax? I assume it would be since there is so much soy in it.

Finally - you guys mentioned a new and old formula (now why does that sound familiar?) :) --- is the current one better I assume? Why the change?

Thanks very much - I appreciate your responses since I'm not sure how much of the information in the archives is still applicable since there has been a formula change.

Hi guys! I've been busy testing new waxes, and had thought about Joy wax. I have tested with Mill Creek, Natural Soy and J50 from Candlemaker's store. I'm pretty lucky that MC, NG and CS are equally close to me so shipping is no problem!

NG says one can mix equal parts Joy wax with their 100% soy, has anyone tried that?

I hate not being able to get S1, I got it to work with 3% BW and pour at 125-145. :):(

The J50 I like so far! I used NG recommendation of 1/2 tsp vybar 260 and 6% Crisco, and with 9% load of Home for the Holidays it threw very well with only a 12 hr cure on 51-24-18z.

Hey Top - I'm just keeping my options open thats all - don't know whats going on with CBA so just sniffing around. Still love soy for my containers, but don't want to put up with regular soy with its issues.

You know what I confiscated today? I went to my candle-leacher's house - she still had one of the original CBA containers I made for her back when the new formula first came out - think that was mid-June - STILL no wet spots, no frost - like the day it was made - and that was like 4 months ago and it still looks flawless. I took it from her to keep - maybe it will be like that light bulb thats been working since 1901! :)

Regarding LXs - I get most of mine from Longwycks because they are 8" long and I like the way they burn. 8" ones are nice if you make pillars too (and you can easily cut them in half to get two container wicks from one).

I use Joy and love it, and I am in Florida too! Yes, the shipping kills me, but I have tried other waxes, and for me, Joy is the best. I have also tested every kinda wick you can think of, including LX's. I have found the low smoke zinc burn the cleanest. No soot on the jar. I LOVE MY JOY WAX!

On a side note tho....I am venturing into feathered palm pillars. :confused: Anyone know what wicks work good with candlewic feathering palm?

Hey Top - I'm just keeping my options open thats all - don't know whats going on with CBA so just sniffing around. Still love soy for my containers, but don't want to put up with regular soy with its issues.

LOL, good to keep one's options open with soy. I originally thought 100% soy sounded like an appealing marketing angle, but now I'm not so sure. The first one I tried liked to turn my wicks to toast and set up like nicely dyed and fragranced snot after burning. The second one needed stearic to set up properly on the initial pour and has the scent throw of cement. Ironically that one is promising but the manufacturer seems inclined to yank it (no response from Dr. Al yet!). Now I have the C-3 and goodness knows what Pandora's Box will unleash with that one. I'll try to post HenryK-style test info when I get to it but need to make some progress on my jar mottles first.

For my purposes I like to keep my paraffin and vegetable wax separate, but I would be inclined to adopt a non-100% soy vegetable wax if there was one that sets up and throws nicely and resists frost like a champ.

I use Joy and love it, and I am in Florida too! Yes, the shipping kills me, but I have tried other waxes, and for me, Joy is the best. I have also tested every kinda wick you can think of, including LX's. I have found the low smoke zinc burn the cleanest. No soot on the jar. I LOVE MY JOY WAX!

Hi What part of Florida are you in? I have been trying to find a co-op for the Joy Wax but no one seems to do one that lives close by. :embarasse I even offered a lady that lives near NG to do one and I would cover shipping and gas for her to pick up and send it to me but she never replied. I guess that was a no..LOL! Does anyone know who would be doing a co-op from NG? Let me know! I really want to use that wax because I don't like the wax that I am using now but I have a supplier right here about 7-8 mins away from me which is great!

Veronica

Henry, I'm so bummed I'm still not getting the same results as you did in your pillars with this palm wax. I have gone down to LX 24 and it has much too large of a flame, 22s don't even have a flame in this wax. I'm still waiting patiently for a wick to work. RRDs are like flame throwers - hehe. There are so many wicks out there I know I will find one that works one day :o . I've made some great progress on my 2" pillars though.

Joy isn't messy at all, it's soft enough to cut with a sharp knife, but not sticky or gooey. Each slab in a case is separated by wax coated paper, just peel off the next layer of paper for the next slab, no mess.

Wouldn't use anything else for my containers, but I haven't had any luck with the zinc wicks, I use hemp and LX also... no black jars, no smoking.

I've seen people say they couldn't get rich colors with Joy, but I can get dark and vibrant colors with NG's liquid dyes... much more concentrated than others I've tried, I have a tougher time getting pastels! HTH.

Henry, I'm so bummed I'm still not getting the same results as you did in your pillars with this palm wax. I have gone down to LX 24 and it has much too large of a flame, 22s don't even have a flame in this wax. I'm still waiting patiently for a wick to work. RRDs are like flame throwers - hehe. There are so many wicks out there I know I will find one that works one day :o . I've made some great progress on my 2" pillars though.

Agree about the 22 and its probably because that wick is the last wick in the LX series that does NOT have an NST2 treatment - and that treatment is what I think is the key to get palm to burn good. RRDs - the full line, also has this treatment - and I believe its why its pretty much the wick of choice for people in this wax.

Make sure you have your wicks trimmed enough. It may seem really small at first, but it catches up. The only thing I can say is my wicks are from Longwycks if that matters. Are you using the 5% stearic trick to help with mold release? I didn't. Mine are also unscented. Actually adding FO sometimes makes candles EASIER to burn (I did a test in soy pillar wax and was surprised - since you always hear to "wick up").

One thing you should take solace in, is if you are getting 2" pillars to work - you are to be congratulated - most people can't do it - from what I read from others - I never even attempted them in palm.

I wonder if someone could suggest some additve to slow down the burning that doesn't interfer with the crystalization/feathering effects.

You can also try one of the other Astorlite-suggested wicks if you have test packs on hand: HTP or CD (basically the same), and Performa.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Hi What part of Florida are you in? I have been trying to find a co-op for the Joy Wax but no one seems to do one that lives close by. :embarasse I even offered a lady that lives near NG to do one and I would cover shipping and gas for her to pick up and send it to me but she never replied. I guess that was a no..LOL! Does anyone know who would be doing a co-op from NG? Let me know! I really want to use that wax because I don't like the wax that I am using now but I have a supplier right here about 7-8 mins away from me which is great!

Veronica

That wasn't me was it?? If it was I never got any messages. I live near NG. I wanted to do a FO co-op and NG politely said that they would not be willing to give an additional discount for a co-op. So I took it as a no. Mostly there was not enough savings for anyone to be interested in it. We could ask again for wax, the reply may be different.

I obviously never had them ship to me. Is thier shipping high? I know WSP is