Poll How much did you spend?

How much did you spend before you sold your first product?  

121 members have voted

1. 1. How much did you spend before you sold your first product?

• 0-$300
    • $300-$500
    • $500-$1000
    • $1000- $5000
    • $5000 plus

I didn't keep close track, but I didn't start selling for years after I started making them. I make hundreds and hundreds of candles a month and gave them away, because that's what I did to keep boredom from taking over. By the time I started selling I owned about 200 votive molds, over 40+ pillar molds, dozens of silicone molds in all designs, had gone through dozens and dozens of cases of wax, tried every wick on the market, tried more than a dozen waxes, made probably 20 cases of containers, played with hundreds of color blocks...... I was spending close to $500 a month buying supplies (good thing I have an indulgent husband). I figure I have $2,000 invested in all the different molds I have, and that's not counting the professional wax melter hubby bought one year for Christmas.

So yeah, I put $5,000 or more. I probably spent $5,000 in just one year! But it was great to have a hobby that kept me busy during the loooonnngg winter months of Delaware, and I was so happy to send packages to friends and family every month with all the new scents I made. Even if I never sold another candle I'd still be doing this into my old age.

DanaE

I had no idea what I was doing. I started 3 years ago this month. I bought some J223, jumped around on candle forums, found some good FOs and a month later was doing a fundraiser for my teenage sons band. I was actually taking orders for candles that I had not even ordered the FOs or tested yet! :shocked2:

I just maxed the FOs out at 10% started with 51z wicks (double) and a few color blocks from Candewic. If I could see one of those candles I poured back then, I'd probably be so embarrassed! :embarasse I mean I even maxed out pineapple and those ones that would burn your nose hairs off! :undecided

Funny thing is I still have some of those original customers. We don't bring up those first candles I made :)

LOL I picked 1000-5000.. I think it was right around 3K before I sold my first little 5oz candle for 5 dollars.. lmao So funny, I thought I had hit the big time when I got that first sale!! lol (and yes, I have one of the dollars framed and hanging in my shop!) :)

I'd like to know how those that only sold up to 300 did it!! I WISH that's all it cost for me to do all my testing I needed to do before selling. :)

Easily over 5,000. I am a perfectionist in every way, and there was no way I was going to sell in inferior product and ruin my name, LOL. So I kept testing until I felt I had the best product I could be proud of and put my label on.

Now years later, I am still revamping my line, and still am a bit anal about it, but hey, what the heck. We all do things differently, I just want my candles to be a product every one is clammering to buy-- not one that everyone comments on how terrible it burned, smelled, or whatever.

So those are the standards I hold to. I have kissed many frogs before I found my prince, so to speak, when it comes to creating the perfect candle!

Jordan

It was actually somewhere between $300-$500. But my first sales were only 3 scents in votives (vanilla, spiced cranberry, christmas tree).

Used the first wax I tried - Cleanwax, so 2 55# bag of that was $120 I think?

Then scents probably $50.

Wicks I bought all sizes in 2 types, so that was probably $30.

Votive molds and wick pins. $100.

Dye I bought all colors $40.

Additives, presto, misc stuff, cello bags & twisties, votive holders, label paper, probably another $60-$70.

So probably somewhere around $400-$500 in 3 months time. I think I started in August and sold my first votive at work in November. That was about 500 hours of chandling/testing.

That's if I had been extrememly focused. ;) This doesn't count the custom pillar molds I had made for me by Pourette. The extra FO samples I kept buying. The extra FO samples I kept buying. The extra FO s....oh, I said that :)

Hmm, forgot about the business licenses - add another $50 :)

I have been at it for just right at a year. I have sold 2 candles, both to friends and am hoping to do my first craft show in December. I bet I have spent $3000 + between my candle stuff and my soap and B&B. I sure hope I am able to sell a few things in December. I figure if there is any profit it will just go back into more supplies :shocked2: I hope that 3 years to make a profit goes by quick!!

You know how long I've tried to NOT think about this?

Me too, I'm in denial, I just keep shoving the receipts in my file cabinet and hiding the cc bills from hubby! :eek::D

I've spent over $300 just THIS week!! :eek: Shhhhhh don't tell on me please! LOL:p

I didn't think I'd spent that much, or I guess I just hoped it. When I went to get my business license in May, they wanted a dollar figure on how much I had put into it. Of the receipts I could find, I was at $800. Many I didn't have reciepts for, incliding my first purchase with Peaks, which was about $150. So I'm sure I was ove $1000 by then. I refused to sell any, even to friends without the license :embarasse It was probably another month before I sold the first. Even now, I've only sold about a dozen. I'm just too obsessive about testing. Then again, If I could devote all my time to this, I would probably be farther along by now. Gotta have a full time job to pay the bills :rolleyes2

Amanda (my DD) got into B&B shortly after I started making candles. One day she asked me how much I had spent so far. I didn't really know, so I started adding up receipts. :shocked2: I wasn't quite as bad as she was, but I like her answer much better..."more than the Acura, not as much as the Taurus" - referring to her first 2 cars! Even with all we had spent and tested and tried, we were both so nervous to make it real and get the business license. Looking back, I probably wouldn't have jumped at everything I saw. I didn't focus - I tried to perfect everything at once. :rolleyes2

Guest highflier

So far I have spent over $25,000

Candle Machine 18,000

35 Scents 2,300

1 Pallet Wax 1,900

Scale 1,200

1500 Jars 1,300

Wicks and all the overnight shipping 300

At least that is what I can remember.

Man this is starting to cost as much as my race car..lol

Mike

I sold tarts for years from another lady, when she said she was unable to keep up, I started making them. It is a good thing, that I had a quality to measur eup to or I would have just done any old thing. I bought wax and a few scents and when I found one as good as hers, I started on another one. I didn't even try candles for a long time. I sell tons of tarts so my testing was pretty easy.

It's crazy how this addiction has snowballed!!! I started out with a $40 kit from Michael's and $2800 later I sold my first container candle at a local craft show!

It was only supposed to be a "hobby" but then I became more and more consumed by it....for soooooo many reasons mostly to preoccupy myself. I was in severe depression and it was an "outlet" for me. (Hubby was shipped to middle east with the army and I lost my kid sis in a car accident) I just kept working and working on it 'til I got it "right" I wish I had found this website sooner!!! I tested about a year...went thru 2 container waxes and then worked on votives.

I can honestly say very little has changed since that first show! Only difference is the use of UV inhibitor. I am currently switching my line of wicks.....but that's because of preference not necessity - just tired of zincs mushrooming so I'm retesting with LX's and they are performing wonderfully for me! Almost have all my scents rewicked!!!! (which I carry about 45)