How to Know if Candle making Is Right For You?

Hi - I'm new to this. My half-sister owns her own candle making business in California and suggested that I might be interested in it too. Can some of you share how you came to be in the candle making business? I buy lots of candles and currently am good friends with a woman who makes soy candles and sells them at the mall (I spend about $40 a month with her) and local craft fairs. I'd love to do a home based business that would let me spend more time with my daughter. How do you get started and what are some of the costs? What are some things I should do first? About how long did it take to get proficient? Is there a lot of competition? Where do you sell your candles?

Thanks for your help - I look forward to getting to know all of you!

Charity

If you are only spending $40 a month in candles you are doing good. Candle making is not an cheap hobby and it is a more expensive business.

First thing I recommend is get a kit and make some candles you may find you just don't have the time or real interest in making them that is what happen with most people that try.

Don't look for the business end till you have got your feet wet.

Welcome to the board!

A way of getting started, aside from the kits, is start reading the forum and things you can get your hands on about candles.

I wouldn't worry about the business end for awhile either. There are plenty of companies who offer kits and the biggest choice you'd make is what to try first, votives, pillars, containers etc.

Hello and welcome :) I agree with everyone else here, read, read and read more boards!! Now, I believe you have to have a "passion" for candle making if you really want to make candles for a living. I have for 7 years now and work at least 6 days a week most weeks, with the exception of the summer months. But, I am the sole bread winner here, so I must, but I truly love it. I wish you the best :)

Thank you for responding. I read some posts and visited Peak candle supplies. Their kits look interesting - I might just try some. I don't really like the pillars much as I like a strong scent so I probably will start with some container candles.

Do you get discouraged easily???? I welcome you to try it, but please go in with the mindset that you're going to start making a lot of crappy candles at the beginning. It takes a lot of time, money and testing to really start getting things right. Good luck, I'm glad I started!

Discouraged? :confused:

Far from it - I think I got a bit of a reality check is all. I'll probably buy a kit and start experimenting. I'll probably read a lot of the boards as well. My problem is I work fulltime plus I have a part-time business already as a financial representative. I also have a six month old daughter. I'm looking to fire my boss :cheesy2: and if I do both I might be able to do that sooner rather than later but I have my daughter to think about first and foremost. I just have so much on my plate already that I'm not sure how I'd manage it all.

I know quite a few people so if I come up with some good scents I probably could make SOME money at it but I'm not sure what would be realistic. My problem will be coming up with something original since so many people already do this. I'm thinking of delivering orders rather than a traditional method but CandleLite is pretty popular for this stuff as well.

So I guess I'll just start with a kit and see how it goes - you never know until you try, right?

That's right, you never know until you try! :)

I do think that one thing new candle makers are continually surprised by is how much it actually costs to make a candle. It's not like one would think when they are still in the "mullilng it over" stage before they actually start to purchase supplies. Even using quality suppliers where you can certainly buy supplies cheaper than say Michaels or JoAnn's, it's still kind of shocking to realize the costs of the fragrances, wax, containers, molds, etc. etc. I still see people who have been doing this awhile blown away when they try to figure out wholesale costs because it costs them so much to make their product initially. It's certainly possible to get your costs down low enough to make wholesale feasable, I've managed to do that and do more wholesale than anything else, but it's a matter of doing it long enough and having enough customers to make it a good idea to buy some things in bulk, and be able to produce enough candles to make it worth it.

I am certainly not trying to discourage you though. We all had the same dream (or a version of it) to start with, and for some of us the pros outweighed the cons overall. Just do yourself a huge favor and read as much information here on these boards as you can, buy a kit that includes all you will need to get started to try it out.. and keep your fingers crossed that you don't become an addict like the rest of us lol. It happens quick~ and you won't be expecting it! :) Good Luck to you!

I agree with what everyone has already stated. You have to invest a lot of your time and money into producing a safe product. So many people get into candle making thinking it is a get rich quick idea. Kits are a great way to get your feet wet! I would also like to add that if you are planning to sell consider the expense of having insurance into your budget. JMO but making a product that if incorrectly used has the potential of causing major damage or loss of life is certainly one that I wouldn't consider selling without insurance for my business.

Could you pay your sister to send you a start-up kit? That would be an ideal situation since she has already tested the wax and wicks she's using. Not to say that the ones on suppliers site haven't been, I'm sure they test also. If you're in a different state, the weather may factor in how the wax performs. IMO...get ready...because the first time you make a candle you will either be totally addicted or you won't like it. JMO, but...Financially, you'll be better off spending that $40. a month because candle making is not cheap by any means and it takes a long time to start making more than you spend!

I think you will know it after you've attempted some candles. Not to be a downer, but you won't know til you try it. I love making candles and some months I don't sell any, some months I run out of stock. It's not any source of reliable income, so for ME...it's personal satisfaction of people liking my candles. That being said, if you are looking to make $$ to help support you...find something else to do. But if you want to have fun and see how creative you can be...enjoy it!!

No no no... stay AWAY from the boards. They are evil!!!!! :D

I'm just kidding, they are so awesome, it was hard not to run into doing everything here! :) There's still around 100 more things I want to try, but alas, one step at a time, and I'm still struggling with my pillars.

Hi, I just started making candles the first of the year. The reason I started was because I love burning scented candles and I was tired of spending money on candles that didn't burn right or didn't have a strong scent. I was searching the internet one day and happened on Cajun Candles sight and started reading all of their literature and money saving ideas as far as the little things you need. Anyway I thought I can do that and I got hooked. Like everyone said to do start with a kit. I started with the container candles. and now I've started making tarts. So start small and see if it is something you want to continue to do. Good luck and have fun.

Here's a new perspective.

I was also new, and found this board, and wanted to try everything. So, I went gung ho on it, read everything I could get my hands on, and bought a bunch of stuff for hurricanes and container candles. About a 300 dollar order to last me for a long time.

And then I found out. I do NOT have the candle making bug. It just didn't keep me going. I made a few candles, it was fun, made some very quality scent throwing candles, but I just don't have the urge to make more. The only thing that makes me think about it is the fact that I haven't done a successful hurricane yet, and I don't quit on things till I get a success.

So, try a little. Like they said, buy a small kit of whatever type you think you'd enjoy. (I suggest the container kit to start) But don't do what I did, and spend hundreds of dollars on supplies before you realize that its something for you.

Good luck, and have fun!

Here's a new perspective.

I was also new, and found this board, and wanted to try everything. So, I went gung ho on it, read everything I could get my hands on, and bought a bunch of stuff for hurricanes and container candles. About a 300 dollar order to last me for a long time.

And then I found out. I do NOT have the candle making bug. It just didn't keep me going. I made a few candles, it was fun, made some very quality scent throwing candles, but I just don't have the urge to make more. The only thing that makes me think about it is the fact that I haven't done a successful hurricane yet, and I don't quit on things till I get a success.

So, try a little. Like they said, buy a small kit of whatever type you think you'd enjoy. (I suggest the container kit to start) But don't do what I did, and spend hundreds of dollars on supplies before you realize that its something for you.

Good luck, and have fun!

Well, on the upside of this...if you don't like it, just remain a member here and you can sell your stuff in the classified section...or just make candles for yourself. You either get the bug or you don't. My partner could care less if she ever poured another candle...she just likes to burn them!! So I do 99% of the pouring and she takes care of other areas of the business. She just doesn't have the patience for it.

I started with a votive kit from Cajun last November. Now I also do containers, tarts, CP soap, lip balm, aroma beads & ornies, body butters, body sprays, perfumes, linen sprays, and reed diffusers. Yeah, you could say I have bitten by the bug. I LOVE scented stuff and have a blast making all of this yummy stuff. But I don't sell yet, mostly just give away to friends to sample. Someday maybe I'll start a real business~ after I get insurance! I definitely have the passion for candlemaking. Good luck! And if you haven't already, check out the classifieds for samples of fragrance oils. Welcome to CT!

I also orginally started because I thought I would save money making my candles instead of buying them. HaHa! If had only known! I don't have an exact figure for how much I invested but it was several thousands! Once I added up all of the wax, different containers, tons of FO and all of the shipping charges it became VERY expensive. A few years later I got tables and a tent set up for a booth. The events I sold at required proof of insurance in order to sell. A kit is a good way to start out, everything you need in one package.

As much as I would like to make money from making candles I really don't have tiime to put that much effort into it. I have a full time job, a part time job, a husband, 2 birds and a cat. So very little time for me. But the up side is I really enjoy making candles and my co-workers buy from me to help support my habit. If I were to really put pen to paper I probubly break even, which for me, is good enough. I don't know to many hobbies out there that finance themselves. I'm sure if I would get involved in farmers markets or craft fairs it would make me some profit w/o having to have a full time booth or store front. Good luck in what you decide to do. I'm playing with soy right now but I think when I run out I'm going to stick with j223. I find it easy to work with and it has less cure time and you don't have all the heat to 190 let cool to 100 time to deal with. Since my time is limited I can make J223 candles twice as fast as a soy. But the challenge of soy has given me plenty of test candles to burn.

• 2 years later...

It certainly can save you money if you burn enough candles for your own purposes. Most likely if you know what you want in terms of type of candle.

If I'd stuck to one or two sizes of container, or pillar, then I'd get my costs down to $1 (2x6" pillar) to $3 (8oz 8% soy jar) each quite easily (minus my time, and possibly electricity).

But, I like to try everything, and have sunk hundreds into equipment (molds, mostly) that it'd take a long time to recover.

How to break into internet sales I have no idea. Like you say, there are so many people selling retail. In this area, at least, the "free" option of craig's list has been a complete bust. I make a few bucks from friends to help buy the next bag of wax, but that's about it. Half the time they don't actually pay, either :(

But, I have as many candles burning as I could ever want, and one of the most fun hobbies I've ever had. It more or less took the place of World of Warcraft.

At least candles have the potential of making me some money. I'm gaining skills in the craft every day.

I'm like honeybear. Started with a votive kit from Cajun candles. I really like to make candles but I hate selling them. I'm not able to really develop a full-time business and work a full-time job; so I have to sell them around town. I have a couple of seasonal wholesale accounts that keep me afloat and my greatest pleasure is hearing customers brag on my work. Try it slow and easy. Don't spend a ton of money. Have FUN. HTH

Steve

Thank you for responding. I read some posts and visited Peak candle supplies. Their kits look interesting - I might just try some. I don't really like the pillars much as I like a strong scent so I probably will start with some container candles.

Pillar candles can scent a whole room without even being lit so don't be too quick to put them out of the picture. My pillars are always a topic of conversation when people walk into a room and they smell divine, they also have been known to scent peoples shops bringing in lots of customers!!!