People like my tarts!

bunkie68

I've test burned a couple of batches of my tarts, and I sent some out for review to people who know their stuff and whose opinions I trust. And I've gotten good reviews!!! People are actually asking about buying more, not just testing them out. I'm so excited, I could faint!!! :yay: So maybe this has a chance of becoming something that actually brings in more than I spend on it. Yay!!! Now, off to experiment with waxes and colors and scents, oh my....

Tarts are fun and easy to make. Glad you are having fun with em.

I have been thinking of maybe 'grubbying' mine up. Haven't tried it yet thou but I have seen some that are cute with the dried cinnamon rub on em.

I haven't tried the "grubby" look myself, either. I'm contemplating trying to make a swirled tart, with two colors of wax. I have no idea how I'd manage the logistics of two batches of wax, or figuring out when to pour the second batch so that it swirls but doesn't blob on top or just mix into the first color, but I think there are possibilities there. We'll see! It's a blast - it appeals to my mad scientist side, and if I can make some cash, well, so much the better.

I want to go home and play with tarts now - work, schmork. :whoohoo:

Hey everyone,

Got a question in reference to tarts. I sent some to mom for her to pass out at work to people, and everyone loves them! There are so many people that now want to buy them, but quite honestly, I don't even know what to charge for one, two...whatever. I'm kind of lost on this whole concept. I usually just pour my leftover wax into a tart of whatever scent/color I am working with. Anyone want to give me some suggestions? BTW, I used the parasoy blend 6028, I believe it is.

TIA,

Shari

Shari, I'm wondering the same thing. What size are your tarts? Mine are big - 2 oz. for one - and I see the 3-ounce clamshell tarts listed for about $3.50-4.00, so I'm thinking $2.50 might be a good price for one of my tarts. I've figured how much I spend on supplies per tart (wax, fragrance, color, packaging), and I want to come out a little ahead of that for sure, plus a little for my labor.

If anyone else has thoughts on pricing, please, share! I'd love to hear.

My tarts aren't that big I don't believe. They are about 1 oz a piece. Honestly, my girlfriend gave them to me a while back. I've always used container wax, so I could never pour them. Now since I've been experimenting with the 6028, I can use them. But I would say they are not as big as yours, and definitely not a clam shell. So if anyone has any suggestions, would appreciate it.

Thanks

Shari

If they're 1 oz., you might consider selling them in groups of two or three. Or, I think I've seen the shooter tarts that are about 1 oz. in size for somewhere in the general vicinity of $1.00 (anywhere from $0.75 to $1.10).

I sell my soy tarts for $1.00 per ounce and I think when I actually start selling the palm tarts, they will be $1.25 an ounce. You have to base it on your costs, otherwise you won't ever get ahead. Figure in everything, except labor...cuz, remember, we do this for nothing...oh I mean because we love it!!

Mine are 1oz each individually wrapped and labeled. I sell them for $1.25 each. If they buy 4, I throw in one (of my choice) for free. Usually ones that aren't selling well and I need to get rid of them. However, sometimes, that backfires and people decide they LOVE that scent and I have to pour more. Most times though, they like it, but wouldn't buy it if they had that choice.

Tarts are fun and easy to make. Glad you are having fun with em.

I have been thinking of maybe 'grubbying' mine up. Haven't tried it yet thou but I have seen some that are cute with the dried cinnamon rub on em.

:yay:Grubby tarts, that is a GREAT idea Candybee! How could something like that be done? Do they make grubby tart molds?

GB416 is what I use for my tarts and the longer they sit and cure, the dryer and uglier they get, (not pretty at all). If they are grubbyish, then it won't matter if they are dry and odd looking.

Thanks for the idea!

• 3 weeks later...
With everything costing more I don't see how you could make anything at $1.00 per once retail. Better to check your cost and charge more than less. Yankee sells their tarts .8 oz for $1.25 and that was several months ago. Don't know what they are today.

Yankee Sells there tarts for $1.79 and yes they are 0.8oz...

At least thats what they go for here in Michigan...

Yankee Sells there tarts for $1.79 and yes they are 0.8oz...

At least thats what they go for here in Michigan...

Yankee is not in business to loose money. I just don't know how anyone can sell for less. Online mine are $1.50 buy ten get two free but I think I'm going to have to raise again. Mine all weigh over an ounce. I'm pretty sure all my wholesale customers sell for more than $1.50 per tart. No one every buys less than a dozen. Check out all your cost very well before setting your prices.

Costing example:

50 lbs of tart/votive wax: $55

Shipping for wax: $20

Total for wax $75

50 lbs = 800 oz

$75 (wax) divided by 800 oz = 9 cents per ounce

1 ounce of FO for 1 lbs of wax $1.50 (based on 1 lb of oil costing $16 and shipping)

$1.5 divided by 16 1 oz tarts = 9 cents for FO

Shrink wrap and label 8 cents

Total cost per 1 oz tart is 27 cents

This was calculated on high end costs because my cost for wax, shipping and FO is quite a bit less.

My personal cost averages 20 cents for a 1 oz tart. I sell mine for $1.25. I use souffle cups that I buy at Sam's. My cost for those are 2 cents each ($40 divided by 2,000 cups). My labels MIGHT cost 2 cents each on the high end lol I try to catch my oils on sale. My FO cost will vary but it averages out. I pay $55 for 50 lbs of wax which includes shipping from CS.

Retail is 3 - 4 times cost. As you can see, my profit higher than that at 5 times cost.

Tarts have the biggest profit for me. I can't justify higher costs than what I charge nor do I think they will sell as good at a higher cost. I charge $3 for clamshells and that is 4 times my cost. I hate to go bigger on tarts by making them more than 1 oz. Everyone's tart warmer size will vary and not all will hold something bigger. My experience is they don't like to cut the tarts in half just to fit their warmers so they shy away from bigger tarts.

Everyone's costing will vary depending on where you get your supplies. I just wanted to show an example of what cost is vs. how to price it.

I used to be a die-hard Yankee Candle fan before I learned how to make tarts and candles myself. Yankee's tarts were always strong when I bought them about 5 years ago, maybe along with their price increase they decided to "decrease" the amount of fo they used as well. Their container candles were good throwers too but they produced a lot of soot and were ridiculously expensive. Their pillars and votives were not good...the throw was very light to no scent throw at all. I sure am glad I know how to make my own stuff now. :smiley2:

I use the sams club cups too and I also use the wax from CS I dont have to factor in shipping but I do add 20.00 for gas. My costs are about .20 each for tarts. I sell them for 1.00 each or 12/10.00 and I still make a VERY nice profit. When I was doing shows I sold 10x more tarts and tart gift sets than candles. I am seriously thinking of doing ONLY tarts and wickless candles and gift sets for this season.

tootie

I went to the mall yesterday, Yankee had a sale or so I thought, they were selling their tarts for $1.00 a piece. I'm not so picky and some of their scents I really like...now I know that all you fabulous people on here make a far more superior product:D , but $1.00 was the magical number! Turns out you had to buy 24 tarts to get the sale price BUMMER! When you go to price your tarts think of the whole getting a bang for your buck! People LOVE to spend a dollar...its the thrill of getting the deal. Just look at all the Dollar stores popping up. People who know little about candles really don't care that there is 1/8 of an ounce less wax, we just want something that smells great and is easy to get out of our burner when we're done. This is JMO:2cents:, but before I got on here and before I started playing with this addiction myself, I bought and bought and still continue to buy and buy candles and tarts and I'm Always Always looking for a good sale:D I'd still pay $1.25 for a good smelling tart anyday, and maybe $1.50-$1.75 if I really liked it :wink2: HTH

I sell mine for $1.25 each (1 oz size) and should raise my price, based on cost of supplies and my labor. I could sell mine for $1.00 or much less and make a nice profit, if I put only one ounce FO per lb. didn't spend money and time in packaging individually and always threw in every FO I ordered whether it smelled great or threw great or didn't worry about how long it lasted. Many people don't package their tarts at all, just throw them in a bag with no labels and probably use up all their FO's. I'm too much of a perfectionist, I suppose for my own good.

I'm sure Yankee didn't get where they "used" to be without being picky about their product. There can be so many hidden costs in trying to make your tarts the best, costs that many people don't even think about. You can save money by making the labels yourself, but you can spend quite a bit of money and time getting to that point, if you've never make labels before.

Initially, you have to buy equipment, melter, pouring pots, thermometers, molds, whatever you store your tarts in......many hidden costs.

I forget to mention one of the possible largest hidden cost.........Income tax... April 15th

Then your electric bill will be higher. I know there's more costs that don't even come to mind at this time.

Then there's testing, testing, testing, costs.

You need to think this all thru before you set your price in stone, because once you do so, it's difficult to raise your prices, even though the costs of your supplies and shipping keep rising. Customers don't know and don't care that your costs are rising, they just don't want you to raise their prices.

I'm still charging the same price I did a year ago, even tho shipping and the cost of my wax has increased. I'm having to absorb those costs to keep from increasing my price as long as possible. It's much easier for our suppliers and shippers to increase their prices than it is for us candlemakers to increase ours. If you make one of the best tarts out there, people will come back for yours when they compare to other cheaper ones they have bought.

BTW:

We, including myself, have always liked to slam "Yankme" a little (OK, a lot), but I will have to say something in their defense. I've heard my own customers talk about how Yankme has gone up in price (tarts are currently $1.79 in many stores and on their website, unless on sale) and gone down in quality. While this might be true, one thing I have learned which never occurred to me before, is that many of Yankee's retailers will let their tarts sit on their shelves indefinitely, under fluorescent lights, losing scent. Then they will put the "old" tarts on sale to clear them out. Yankee has no control over this, and it damages their reputation greatly. For this reason, I would never want to wholesale to stores unless I was in control of rotating and pulling tarts from their shelves so they don't lose some of their quality.