Dupe the BBB mottle game

I think we officially have a little game/contest going. The objective is to get as close as possible to duplicating the mottled candle from Bed Bath & Beyond in the attached photo. Margaritamama (that's her photo) and Alan from Peak have announced their intention to participate. I think I will be making a submission as well. The deadline is Friday and anyone can play! Seems we need a judge though.

post-710-139458382429_thumb.jpg

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is too funny....when I first saw those candles I showed Ed and said "Look at this cheap looking made in China candle".......I liked the colors however.....so now you are going to make me try this.....damn you guys. Donita......Let the race begin.....LOL

Only until Friday? How about Monday, so us working, helping with homework and cooking and cleaning up dinner people, can have a weekend to work on it? I realize I am a newbie to paraffin, but can't resist playing around to see what I can come up with.

Only until Friday? How about Monday, so us working, helping with homework and cooking and cleaning up dinner people, can have a weekend to work on it? I realize I am a newbie to paraffin, but can't resist playing around to see what I can come up with.
You're right, it seems reasonable to give people the weekend if they need it. Satin's poll suggestion sounds good too.

I think a poll is a good way to judge, and I agree with Monday. It would be better to allow as many people to participate as possible.

This is going to be fun..........:yay:

I also wanted to say that if anyone wants me to post anymore pics of the candle, at different angles, or in better light. Just give me a shout.......

Hey Henryk.... Remember that old saying...Beauty is in the Eye of the beholder? Well...guess what? Cheap Looking is in the eye of the beholder too!! Completely subjective ;)

And I LOVE beets. That grosses out my sister. HeHeHe

I have made many candles that are so ugly that I can't believe that someone actually paid their hard earned money for them. Completely subjective. Thank heaven. And....when you make something yourself, put your heart and soul into it, somehow it takes on a special beauty. Donita

I just hope someone can come up a way to do that "cheap looking" mottle consistently!

:)

I did some experimenting again yesterday - and found out that too much liquid dye will also completely kill mottling (At least my liquid dye did - maybe the solvents?).

Oh I know - I have whole part of a shelf with candles I won't burn because they came out so nice - I'll probably never be able to them again!

There has to be a method though don't you think?, I mean, the company that does this does it regularly enough to be able to place them in large stores.

I've even had some crazy idea that maybe some companies chop up huge vats of wax - press them together in layer candles and then over dip them. Who knows - just my crazy thinking.

What type of wax is suspose to give this effect? Don't have time to order and get some in and make before Monday but have always wanted to.

If you do a search here on "mottle" you'll find a few long discussions on different waxes and additives to get the different mottling effects.