Presto Pour Pots....

I am thinking about breaking down and buying a more efficient way of heating my wax.....other than my stove and double boiler method. Here is a link of what I might purchase....Let me know if there is something out there that is better. Thanks y'all :yay:

http://shop.candlesandsupplies.com/candles/product.asp?catalog_name=Candles&category_name=Water+Jacketed+Melters&product_id=MP-50

My budget is based on my spending money, therefore, I opted for 2 Presto Pots and I love them. I have one for container wax, and one for my votive wax, and thinking of getting a third to boil water for the remelting of the wax for top offs. But you still have to deal with reheating/melting the top off wax with that handy dandy melter (see...I'm envious). :)

I saw them at C&S...they are nice.

I have 3 prestos. :) Love them.. (I actually need to get 3 more for my different applications I do!)

debscent, why not just melt your top-off right there in the presto? Then you can just wipe clean after you empty it. This is what I do, but don't have the spout. Had it in one, and found it to be more of a pita than an asset, so I don't use it. :)

BOy....you can buy an awful lot of Presto's for $480 :P.

I love my Presto's! I don't do repours, just zap w/a heat gun so that's not an issue, but I agree nwith J, why not just melt your top off wax in the presto?

Also, try saving your top off wax in a small metal creamer, then you can just heat it up when your ready on a candle warmer. Works great, much less to clean. HTH.

For $480, you can buy 16 presto pots from WM and add the spigots. Heck, you have that many pots and you can color the wax and add scent right in the pots, then pour directly into the containers and avoid the pouring container and scales all together.

Maybe I meant.......the metal jacket heaters...not presto pots.... I have one of the presto pots and I don't like it. It makes a mess, transferring from the Presto to the pouring pot. I was looking for something with a nozzle to just pour right into my melter when I mix. Sorry for the confusion....my BAD!!! Okay....now will someone help me? :cry2:

Denise

I have one similar to the one pictured at C & S. It works great, holds up to 65 lbs. I guess it depends on how much you pour at one time. You can get a presto pot with a spout on it. Taylored concepts has them for around $50 I think. I also have these. When I am pouring large amounts for like a fundraiser, I use the 65 pounder. But, when I am filling a small order for just a few, I use the presto. It's nice to have a couple of the presto's, one for container wax, and one for pillar. I'm in Maryland too, and the free shipping the one at C & S makes it a good deal. I think my large melter was over $600. Hope this helps!!

Misty

This is the exact presto pot with spigot that I have 6 of. I got them off of Ebay from Copper Creek Inc. Very nice lady and fast shipping too. If you buy 4 pots at a time, there is no shipping charge on the 4th pot. I bought the ones for $39.95 and just love them! HTH :yay:

I have a 80 lb water jacket wax melter (it is divided into 2 halfs 40lbs each side so I can melt 2 differnt types of wax at once) and 3 presto pots. I use the presto pots more when making smaller batches. The larger water jacket wax melter is great if your doing large amounts and have the time to wait for the wax to melt. It takes almost 3 hours to melt the wax and I set the temp to 200. You also have to make sure you check the water level everyday. If your going to invest in a wax melter of that size I would get a direct heat melter and not a water jacket melter the direct heat ones are much quicker. JMO hope this helps.

Well a larger melter would work for because I only do larger pours. I have a double boiler system that can hold 9# of melted wax per pot and I figured it was close to a presto pot without spout. I wouldn't want to use one without a spout and the ones I saw on ebay were $70+ No thanks too pricy and I don't have time to mess with those. I rather get a good melter and spend the money once.

This is the exact presto pot with spigot that I have 6 of. I got them off of Ebay from Copper Creek Inc. Very nice lady and fast shipping too. If you buy 4 pots at a time, there is no shipping charge on the 4th pot. I bought the ones for $39.95 and just love them! HTH :yay:

I got mine from them too. Very fast shipping and the pots are great!!!

I have 3 prestos. :) Love them.. (I actually need to get 3 more for my different applications I do!)

debscent, why not just melt your top-off right there in the presto? Then you can just wipe clean after you empty it. This is what I do, but don't have the spout. Had it in one, and found it to be more of a pita than an asset, so I don't use it. :)

I have a presto with a spigot--no splatter--I can hire out my mom to all of you, she modified mine. ha ha! And I have one without a spigot for the votive/tart wax (haven't brought it to mom to modify). If I have an empty presto I will use it for repours (put some water in there, and place the pour pot in the boiling water and melt it (about 5 minutes at most to get it to 180-190), but most of the time I keep my pots filled with wax. I am thinking of just buying a presto just just melt the top-offs. I use a one pour container, so the only repours I do are with my votives.

Thanks for thinking of me! :)

My hub did my spigot. It didn't splatter at all, I just found it to be in the way, and a PITA when trying to turn the valve to open it.

Just much easier and faster to pick the pot up and pour the wax into my pour pot. (no splatters or spills that way either! lol) I do 6lb batches at a time. Takes about 15 minutes to melt the wax, pour it in the pour pot, color and scent, then pour into the waiting molds/containers.

Good luck whatever you decide! :)

I have been eyeballing that set-up for about a year now, but no, I haven't tried it.

I was gonna use it for my dipping/carving vat, but my hub bought me a whole set up so I'm set there..

I did get me a turkey roaster last year for Christmas (the ones a walmart that hold about 22lbs of wax) but I don't use that much anymore.. Not as much as I did when I first got it. :)

That turkey fryer concept intrigued me when I first saw it and I know people use those. For that amount of wax, I just have reservations about how it works. In a regular melter the wax is heated from all sides. In this jobbie you have very concentrated heat from the elements on the bottom. I feel that could cause degradation of the wax and other ingredients as they go past the heating elements.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE my presto pots!! I toyed with the idea of the spigot for a long time, but then I just placed a cookie sheet underneath the pour pot so when I poured it caught all of the excess. Works like a dream.. So I really am able to use every bit of wax. Very little waste..