What The???

I have NO clue what caused this. I have been reading this board for a couple months now and have not come across ANY candles as horrific as these:mad: I used CO for the first time last night. Here is all I used with these test batches..

16oz MoonGlow Contianer Blend Soy Wax

1 oz FO

1T CO

Heated to 185, added FO and Color

Cooled to 105 and poured

722.073.jpg

16oz GB 415

1.5 oz FO

1T CO

Cooled to 105 and poured

722.074.jpg

16oz MoonGlow Contianer Blend Soy Wax

1.5 oz FO

1T CO

Cooled to 95 and poured

722.072.jpg

What I don't understand is I made up a couple 3oz containers without wicks with the leftover wax and these turned out nothing like the ones above...

722.07.jpg

Thanks for any advice you may have. I don't think I used to much FO. I hope it is not the CO as I really was hoping that would help the candles out, not MORPH them...:confused:

Thanks,

Bobbie

www.ShoogieDesignz.com

Designer Websites, Boutiques & More...

Guest LightofDawn

Bobbi,

It is hard to tell from the photos, but is there little crystal like granules on the tops. If so, I had the same thing happen with mine. No clue why???

You might want to try pouring hotter. Could also be the rate at which they're cooling. I've gotten that spongy-ness in my candles before (using a different wax), but I'm sorry to say I don't remember what I determined to cause it. Try remelting them and see if they set up better (you might lose your wicks since they're already trimmed, but you could just pour into a pour pot or another jar.

I suggest decreasing the amount of coconut oil and pouring at 125°. The candles without wicks did the same thing - it's just the crust on top did not have the wick there to contract to. It also looks like uneven cooling. Was there a draft? Fan? Air conditionr vent? I am not familiar with the type of wax that you use. We use Universal Soy Additive from JBN to help make the wax smoother and more homogeneous. Your wax may already contain something like this, so you'd want to check with your supplier/manufacturer first. A heat gun should smooth out the tops. HTH :)

Looks like the coconut oil coming out on top of the candles, but maybe not. I've had tops come up looking like cellulite with wicks and my wickless from the same batch are smooth as can be. I tend to think it's air trying to go to the wick to escape, but I'm not sure. If you heat gun them and still have white on top then I think the CO didn't incorporate well enough, even the smooth tops look pearly (I personally like the look on the wickless.)

Don't think it's the coconut oil cause I get this all the time. With tarts it happens if I pour a little cooler that hot. Also if I have a tray on top so it cools slower....sometimes.... With candles it's when I pour hot cause my first pour is cool second is hot and this happens most times. At least the look of the last two. The top ones are a little lacer than I have ever gotten and I have gotten the flaky look with soy for years. But only sometimes, I have never got the same look all the time, never.

I've had this happen with 444. As I didn't add anything to it, I determined it was caused by the low PT. Try upping it even to 130. The heat gun is a temporary fix IMO, because once you start burning, it may very well set up that way again. I have never used your wax either, but make one with the CO and one without, up the PT and see what happens. Make sure all your additives are incorporated really well too. ~HTH

i think you have 2 great answers here. i poured last night and tried 125 and i got some odd finishes at that temp. i think i am sticking to the 140 area but i use c3. can i ask what you add the co for?

thanks!

i poured last night and tried 125 and i got some odd finishes at that temp. i think i am sticking to the 140 area but i use c3. can i ask what you add the co for?

Not sure what "odd finishes" means... Did you use dye and FO, with your C3? If so, what...

For C3 tops, we have found that using Universal Soy Additive (from JBN) plus tempering the wax yielded smoooth tops. The coconut oil (1/2 Tablespoonful per pound) is to help control frosting. Best to work one issue at a time until you get things dialed in. Good luck! HTH :)

the odd finishes were alittle hummmmmmmmmmm, not smooth, a bit crystally, almost rough like when you add waaaay to much fo (by accident), maybe a bit flakey looking. at 140 i get a nice smooth top but usually i get a, not really sink "hole", but the top drops slightly and i get a crack around the wick, a circular indentation. i gave up on color so i use no dye anymore just 1 oz of fo per lb. :)

the odd finishes were alittle hummmmmmmmmmm, not smooth, a bit crystally, almost rough like when you add waaaay to much fo (by accident), maybe a bit flakey looking. at 140 i get a nice smooth top but usually i get a, not really sink "hole", but the top drops slightly and i get a crack around the wick, a circular indentation. i gave up on color so i use no dye anymore just 1 oz of fo per lb. :)

oops, stella this was for you :)

i think you have 2 great answers here. i poured last night and tried 125 and i got some odd finishes at that temp. i think i am sticking to the 140 area but i use c3. can i ask what you add the co for?

thanks!

I added the CO because I have heard that is supposed to HELP the tops with frosting,etc..

Thanks,

Bobbie

www.ShoogieDesignz.com

Designer Websites, Boutiques & More...