Why can't they understand?

I just received some samplers this week and was letting my DH sniff them. His buddy was over and said the candle I had burning smelled awesome and asked if I made it. I said yes and my DH then says "do you have any done that he can get". I replied no that I was going to do some testing this weekend and he looks at me, rolls his eyes and says "yeah, more testing". :rolleyes2

I think he thinks that this is just another passing fancy for me and I'm using testing as an excuse (to not get my product out there). They just don't understand the wick thing. Hell, I don't blame him. Neither do I sometimes! :laugh2:

Testing is vital for safety of your customers! If a candle doesn't burn right because it is improperly wicked, it could start smoking very badly of even, though rarely flair up. Underwicked candles leave tons of wax along the side and little or no scent throw. They must be finished off on a candle warmer or tart melter.

I was at Joanne Fabrics yesterday and checked out so candles that they had on sale. I've seen tea lites with thicker wicks than those and they were totally off center. In fact one was so far off to the side, I gave it to the sales lady and informed her that it was accually dangerous to sell that particual candles. The wick was up against the side of the jar!:eek: Looked on the bottem...Sure enough, made in Tiwane:rolleyes2 She asked what I thought I knew about candles and I explained that I made candles and had four over four years.

After I walked out the door I looked in the window and she put the candle back on the display shelf but unscrewed the lids on other candles and looked. They were all way off center.

I finally had to just start hiding all my test batches of soap from DH...After explaining to him abou 1,000 times that I have to try several recipes to find the ones that work just like I want them...I mean sheesh..Just one pound batches, but ya know..Adds up... lol (Don't tell him that :laugh2: )

But you are right....spouses just don't get it...:rolleyes2

Well now wait a minute lol! I have a significant other (we might as well be married cuz we act like it lmao!) and he's really been quite supportive ;) Get that hubby involved lol!

My BF job is to sniff new FO and check out/test burn candles and soap. That's it. He doesn't get the testing and thinks it's all great and that I should be selling. If I were to let/make him make some himself, he'd find a way to have it sold before it ever came out of the mold...LOL

eek, that's why I leave the candle making to you experts, lol...my forte is lotions. I let my dh check out the scents (everything is stinky and girly-girl to him), and that's about the extent of his involvement. I give all my samples to my little 5 year old helper, she thinks i have the best job in the universe, lol.

I've learned alot from this forum about buying candles at shows, now I know that just because a candle smells yummy doesn't mean it's the best to buy and burn....

Rebecca

Well now wait a minute lol! I have a significant other (we might as well be married cuz we act like it lmao!) and he's really been quite supportive ;) Get that hubby involved lol!

I am truely blessed with a wonderful hubby,,He came to me and asked if I would like to make candles "i said yes"....he totally supports me and understands the testing part. I do agree get that man involved!!! :D

My dh is my best advertiser , when it comes to my candle making/ tarts. and i think he is now beginning to understand the wick testing, here at the house i will watch my candles and if they start smoking after 4 hours i will put them out and trim. after he has seen me do so many he is starting to understand when i tell him no i won't sell my container candles. but he has been very supportive of this new hobby of mine, and since i have been during testing for over a year... there has been a few times he asked me when i'm going be finish testing. and of course i tell him never:laugh2:

Just tell him you are trying to prevent being sued if it caught someones house on fire or ruined there furniture etc... Its kind of a scary thing to sell, some people have some strange ways of burning candles. I told my girlfriend the other day that I dont ever think I would sell mine cause of the liability factor.

All I had to tell my DH was that if I didn't test and someone's house burned down, they were coming after us cuz both our names are on the mortgage. I have finally started to sell to friends and they have been pretty understanding, I just told them I had to test every scent I offer, cuz I didn't want it to explode or anything. They laughed but didn't pressure me to hurry up anymore.