Lots of Pictures - Things Back To Normal

Here's the story. I'm finally in the workshop last night for more than an hour and I'm a pouring idiot. Everything's going beautifully, had The Doors cranked up, had my Pepsi stock nice and cold, wasn't too hot or too cold in the workshop...it was just right even with the fan blowing on my legs.

I'm in the middle of a marble, first one I've done in a long time with liquid dye and things are moving smoothly....

Until mom cat comes tearing around the corner doing mach 4, jumps on the workbench, scatters molds, votives, a couple of other pillars I had there, sticks her nose in the bowl with the wax, sniffs around, looks up at me with wax covered whiskers, meows and starts purring. Okay, I have the Puddin' Seal of Approval, hot dog!

So I pick her up, pull the wax off her whiskers (good thing it was still warm, came right off without an issue), set her down on the end of the bench, start working the wax and here she comes again. Nose in the bowl, meowing, then sticks her head in the mold I was going to use of which I had just used the heat gun on and she pulls back with curly whiskers. So I had to stop what I was doing, straightened her whiskers out all the while she's squirming to get to the wax and purring so damned loud she sounded like a chainsaw.

Then, it's time for me to slip the wax in the mold (she finally settled down for five minutes) when she decides I'm not moving fast enough, walks up and shoves her head under my hand dumps the wax in the mold. I think screw it, work with it, blah blah, here comes Erika with Smudge who I guess has decided he likes toes as chew toys and she wants to dump him off on me!

Yep, things back to normal, cats going goofy when I'm making candles!

First picture is Fruit Slices, two chips of orange and two chips of red to make that color. Ducky, if you're reading this, this is my first fingernail test candle.

Second is my new votive molds, all the votives are scented JamaicaMeCrazy and I colored each one in the mold. The tops are darker on purpose, wanted to throw something different in it.

Third is scented Peanut Butter and I'm finding a definite awesome rustic at 125* on the 1343. That's how I like them, extra frosty! :drool:

Last one is Pink Lime and unfortunately, I have a line between the two pink layers, but the green turned out perfect!

I have three more I have to post, one is a red/pink Mottle in Pure Seduction, a Moonstone with yellow vertical stripes and the Marble I was working on last night with mom cat.

Thanks for looking!

CK

post-736-139458429277_thumb.jpg

post-736-13945842928_thumb.jpg

post-736-139458429283_thumb.jpg

post-736-139458429284_thumb.jpg

What works for me is I put the mold in the freezer long enough to actually get a good frost outside and then I pour at a cooler temperature. 1343 does a good rustic at 149*, but I goofed one night and let it sit too long before I poured and it was at 125*. I figured what the hay, if I didn't like it, I could remelt and do it over but nope! All my rustics are poured at 125* now.

WOW!!! very pretty-love the rustic & the votive colors are awesome. What's up with the cats in the shop ? I have one that insists that she's my business partner. She's always in the shop,usually doin' figure 8's around my legs when the pouring pot's in my hand. YIKES !!

All my cats think they need to help me when I'm in the workshop. If I try to shut the door on any of them, I've got very loud complainers on the other side of the door and it forces me to open it if I'm concentrating. And mom cat isn't a kitten either, she'll be turning 11 in October so it just goes to show that cats are pains no matter what their age is.

I really like all of your candles, the colors are so vibrant!!! That rustic is perfect! I know what it's like to work with cats trying to help you! It's for that same reason that I know have a door on the area that I work in. One of my cats had this habit of sleeping right next to my feet when I was working. She was so quiet that I would never hear her walking up to me. Then one day I didn't realize she was there and almost tripped over her while carrying hot wax!

Believe it or not, all of those have Universal Additive in them except the rustic, that has Vybar. I really, really like the U.A. because I get colors like those without breaking a sweat. The pink and green on the Pink Lime is liquid, not even quarter drops per color (green is actually a half drop, quarter each of blue and yellow) and the votives all are the fluorescent pigment chips from Peak's. I'd kill to find those colors in liquid.

Hey CK....love the colors. I used to make lots of votives in all shapes. Sold thousands. Good money makers. I am going to do my next rustic with your idea. Might work for me....might not....but I am going to give it my best shot. I want something very rustic. One time I had 5 kittens that grew up to be 5 house cats. That was something else. They were all litter mates and would actually fly through the air with the greatest of ease knocking over everything in the way. Lost lots of candles and a huge expensive very fancy pottery vase. It was a large round one with hand made roses. One of the cats got inside and rolled it off the table. That cured me of buying anything expensive ever again. You just know that some how it will be destroyed. Either by pets or people (smile).......like grandchildren. Love, Auntie D

The thing I've found to get my rustics like that is when you get the mold ready, use the wick bars and then pour directly on the bar slowly. The temperature of the mold will cause the wax that's being splashed in to peel away from the sides a little. Pour slowly or you'll have wax splashing out of the mold, but it works great.