Newbie's first attempt at CP and bath bombs

Well this is my 3rd attempt at making soap, the first two were melt and pour wich got me HOOKED and of course seeing all the amazing soaps here pushed me to try my hand at CP. I AM HAVING A BLAST :yay:

I made orange/chocolate soap CP and it smells OH SO GOOD! Tried swirling but I will have to work on that part of it. I also made some bath bombs, which I have dubbed "bath mini cakes" and I made those in lavender and rhasberry scent and OH LA LA. I do have a question though, some of them had what I call "warts" as they were drying, what would cause that? too wet?

orange_chocolate_first_soap-1.jpg

Very pretty! They look good enough to eat, LOL.

The warts on the bath bombs is where the reaction was trying to get started. I found I get that when I try to make them in humid weather or if I don’t mix the liquid portion well enough. Got to shake the jar HARD! Also, the warmer it is the more sensitive it is… I find making them in the winter is a whole lot easier than now.

Ruina, I certainly don't mind at all telling you how I got that shade of color. The supplies I bought to make that soap basically came from an international food store we have in Ottawa. I used shortening (crisco), coconut oil, palm oil, grapeseed oil and olive oil and superfatted with castor oil. Now the palm oil I bought from this store was not white like I got from the supplier I ordered from before (soap making supplier). When I saw it at this store I thought to myself "is this going to work" because it was quite orange. I looked at the label and there were no additives at all in it so I decided to try it and thought well I best make an orange colored soap, hence the reason I decided on the orange chocolate. Now when I melted all my hard oils I could see that it wasn't orange really but a heck of a bright yellow/orange so I decided I better add some red liquid coloring to it to get the orange I wanted and that is what I did and voila, it worked! I used liquid coloring also in my bath bombs but I have ordered the powdered and am awaiting that order. The liquid was fine for melt and pour but with my very first batch of CP soap, the one before this one, I wanted a blue swirl :embarasse and it ended up being PURPLE!!!! Not what I was expecting that's for sure, lol.

I made a foot lotion with eucalyptus/spearmint and my co-workers who are my testers are all loving it!

P.S. I haven't cleaned up the top of the soap yet, except for one that is in the pic behind the flower, so that caramel color will be gone and the dark brown will be the only thing showing :yay: . I just wanted to say how AWESOME this site is and the people here. I have been browsing here for a few months and reading all your posts and am so happy to have found such great wisdom and knowledge from all of you who share with us newbies. THANK YOU! I am having a BLAST!

MBShafeena, that palm oil you used might be the "red palm oil" I once saw on the shelf of a health food store here. I wondered at the time if it would be good for soaping & you've answered my question. Of course, I'd have to scent it to match a yellow color. In any case, yours look yummy!

Ya know, I keep coming to look at this beautiful soap... and I'm already thinking of Fall. I think it's inspiring me to try a look like this! I told myself I was going to slow down with all the soap I am making... LOL I think I'll have to do just ONE MORE batch. LOL

• 6 months later...