Soap question

Scented

1- no

2- obviously any animal-lol. The only animal oil I use and forget about sometimes is Emu Oil (which I luv luv luv). I have now contained Emu Oil to two bars I make. I'll add in there too- soaps made w/ differ animal milk and beewax.

Well I'm trying to figure out why would someone care if there's 0 transfat oils used. Like I hope they aren't eating the soap. I can't imagine it could have an alternate affect. I could be wrong, but it was out in left field where we weren't.

BTW last year we spent some time explaining that the emu wasn't killed strictly for its oil and that it wasn't killed inhumanely as far as we knew etc.

And I guess we got one of those ... "does this have lye in it?" peeps and well yeah, it does or you can't have soap.

I could see the emu oil because its killing the animal for that as well as other parts (meats. etc).

BUT what blew me away was the beeswax and milk. I'm not a bee expert but as far as I know death isn't involved w/ wax OR w/ differ animal milks :confused: . I'm very uneducated in this realm, maybe a vegan here can explain this.

I thought it was just animal products in general, not animals that were killed or injured for product. Beeswax is made by bees, milk from cows or goats, etc.

It's my understanding that it isn't vegan if it's in the same box as non vegan soaps, etc. They can co-mingle. A vegan will drop a bar of soap made with lard like it's on fire. They don't even want to touch anything tainted with animal.

A vegan will not eat any animal product, even if the animal was not harmed.

A vegeterian will eat anima products, ie cheese, milk etc. but not if the animal was harmed in the process.

My friend is vegeterian and explained the difference to me.

OK a new one. For those who sell your soaps, have you ever been asked if your soap contains 0 Trans Fat?

Two-part question actually ... what other oils besides say lard, crisco type stuff do vegans stay away from?

she must be a soaper herself. I read in one of my soaping books about avoiding oils that have trans fat. Something to do with the hardness of the finished bar. I need to go back and read it again. I'll let you know exactly what I find tonight.

No kidding, but I'm trying to figure out what's behind these people who ask and if anyone's heard of it before.

I don't think "trans" ahs to do with stability but now I'm curious... Naw - margarine is stable as all shit, right?

Do you think they might be mixing up the trans fat thing with unsaponifiables?

No. They wanted to be sure the soap was made with all 0 transfat oils. I first wondered if they were going to eat the bar, but in some discussion today, they may be concerned that if they soap with fatty oils that they'll gain back whatever they lost not eating anything but 0 transfat (which still doesn't make a hill of bean of sense.) There's so much hype out there any more that I'm wondering if someone selling soap once made sure to let people know they made their soap with 0 transfat oils ... in which case, I make votives in food scents and they're fat free <rolling eyes>.

I don't think "trans" ahs to do with stability but now I'm curious... Naw - margarine is stable as all shit, right?

It couldn't have anything to do with stability or they would have made some retort, besides they weren't people that in the know about soapmaking, just some people who don't touch anything that has transfat in it.

J~ are these true vegans that are inquiring about this?

Vegans are extreme. They are very concerned in every aspect of what they put in and on their bodies. Even silk in soap, to a vegan is a no no.

I don't get the whole transfat thing as it pertains to soap.

Was this a question from a potential customer at a show?

Vegans are extreme. They are very concerned in every aspect of what they put in and on their bodies. Even silk in soap, to a vegan is a no no.

Oh yeah I forgot all about the silk-PL and I talked about that before :whistle: Guess none of my bars would pass as I use silk in every batch now.

Yes and no indication from them about being vegan, but another couple was and mentioned it. I would think the vegans would mention it and/or look at the ingredients. They've not been shy before. Could be our first shy one, but I have an impression they were just on the 0 trans fat kick.

Seriously. Look those peeps straight in the eye and tell them you put your soaps on the Adkins diet. 30% bacon grease baby! Plump full of trans fats.

OMG!! :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:

Yes A, if they're in my state they're close to you lol. You may hear about this year. You may get lucky and not. Heck I didn't realize the silk would be a no no.

This whole fat/trans fat thing is in some cases going too far. I've seen juice labelled as 0% trans fat, like there is a lot of fat in normal juice (all those greasy oranges, yuck). People are always off and flying on a fad of some sort, and making everybody else's life miserable as a result. Does it matter if your soap is 0% trans fat? Sheesh!!!!

Here is a dumb question. What about the colorant used in soaps? Do these people have a problem with those? I am just curious since Julie brought the soap up. TIA

vegans? not unless the colorants contain anything from an animal source.