RRD in a 3" tumbler

I've been test burning a new style tumbler, which is just a smidge under 3 inches with no taper.

I tried RRD 34, 37, 40, 47 and 50 - and none reached the edges after 3 x 3 hour burns. Surely this can't take an RRD 55? That's just ridiculous!

So i am trying a hemp, Extra Large - which is one size down from the largest you can get (i use super large in 4 inch containers and they work fine!!) yet it's still not getting to the edge.

I am using a 70% soy 30% paraffin blend with 1.5oz of FO and no dye.

Anyone have any recommendations? I have CD and LX but wanted to get it right with an RRD or hemp.

Nat

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry natty...I would have said a 47 or 50. how many burns did you try? maybe it will catch up?

yes, that's what I thought - it's pretty unbelievable. so much so that I went and blended a whole new batch of wax just in case I'd made a mistake. I burned for 3 x 3 hours mostly - and some I left power burning for about 6 hours and I have about 2cms of wax still stuck to the glass - it's ALMOST there but I am extremely reluctant to go to an RRD 55 as that is just gonna be a flame thrower!

The client wants a clean burning candle that gets to the edge within the first couple of burns, so i can't really let the candle burn half way down and then hope that the top of the flame melts the cling-on at the top of the tumbler.

strange indeed.

Natty, what FO do ya have in there? If it's a heavy one at 1.5 oz that could be the problem. I have good results in my 3" containers with LX 22 or 24 also using a 70/30 blend. My hemp ex-large also work great but I'm only using 1oz of FO...good luck, I hope you get it worked out!

If you have a large flame you may lose the throw.

Totally straight edged containers can be hard to wick because there is nothing to keep the heat in to make the MP.

In my experience ECO, CD, or LX wicks burn wider, and RRD tends to burn down. You could even put a Square Braid in there, about a #2 or #3. They melt really wide.

OK so here's an update. the RRD 55 aint doing it!

It is so frustratingly close - but there is a very thin hang up on the tumbler and the candle is burnt 1/2 of the way down. I checked with the customer (this is a HUGE wholesale order worth $5000 for the first order alone, so I gotta get it right) and they definately want a full meltpool on the first 3 hour burn and don't want "ugly" hang up whilst the candle burns down.

So i've tried every RRD in the range. the flame on the 55 is BIG but it's just not hot enough.

So what next? I want a straight burning wick as I don't like the ones that curl. perhaps a super-large hemp? How do LX wicks do - i have a ton of those pre-waxed and tabbed. Also have some eco in every size as well as CD 12, 14, 16 18, 20 and 22! God, i don't want to have to try all these - time is of the essence! Please...anyone know a good starting point on the wicks I've mentioned so I can cut out those that just won't work?

Here's some photos:

DSCF0093.JPG

DSCF0097.JPG

DSCF0094.JPG

Nat

Hi Natty, I have tested a 70/30 blend and a 50/50 blend with hemps and LX wicks in a 3" diameter. The 50/50 blend is very easy to wick with an LX 16 or 18; I also had success with the 70/30 with an LX 24 (some fragrances would take a 22, but I'd start with the 24). I never tried above that (it's my understanding that the larger sizes are coated with some other type of treatment). I also had success with a Hemp 40032 with the 70/30 although they 'schroomed' more and doesn't leave a lot of room to wick up if you need to.

With the 70/30 the LX burned a little unevenly on the way down the jar, but eventually caught up. The hemp created a complete melt pool during each burn, although I'm not finished testing to the bottom so don't know what the last 3rd will bring.

HTH some!

Hi Natty, I have tested a 70/30 blend and a 50/50 blend with hemps and LX wicks in a 3" diameter. The 50/50 blend is very easy to wick with an LX 16 or 18; I also had success with the 70/30 with an LX 24 (some fragrances would take a 22, but I'd start with the 24). I never tried above that (it's my understanding that the larger sizes are coated with some other type of treatment). I also had success with a Hemp 40032 with the 70/30 although they 'schroomed' more and doesn't leave a lot of room to wick up if you need to.

With the 70/30 the LX burned a little unevenly on the way down the jar, but eventually caught up. The hemp created a complete melt pool during each burn, although I'm not finished testing to the bottom so don't know what the last 3rd will bring.

HTH some!

Is that the super large hemp? I tried extra large and it didn't work out - or it might have been large +, i'll need to check my notes. I think the only one I have left in the hemp to try is the super large - and I use that in my soy candles in jars that are 4" and it gives me a full meltpool - it seems this 70/30 soy paraffin blend is just being a royal pain in the butt.

The label on my bag of 40032 says Extra Large...the next size up is 60048 and Super Large. I too find the 70/30 difficult to wick in anything larger than a 2.5" jar...thus I'm testing testing testing with the 50/50 and find it a piece of cake in the 3" as opposed to the 70/30. I'm having a bit of trouble with the hot throw cause I actually used less oil thinking the added paraffin would throw at less...I was wrong so am going back to my old FO load and testing some more. Too bad you don't have or can't use? the 50/50!

I'm also testing a 70/30 blend and started testing with the Performa line of wicks yesterday. So far it looks like my lighter scents are going to work with a Performa 140 and heavier scents with a 180. This is in a 2.5" diameter jar and the 180 is as large as the Perform wicks go so they may or may not work for a 3" jar.

With all my testing in 3" tumblers, I have decided to give up on these jars, I think the jar is just not designed to get hot enough to reach a full melt pool until its almost half way down. I think the openness of the top just allows it to stay cool. I never get a good scent throw either until the candle is half way burned down.

I use wide mouth mason jars that have a 3 inch diameter. I use CD wicks in mine. I would try a CD 16 since this seems to be giving you fits. The CD 16 works for me with my GB 415 but others say they have to use CD 18's or 20's.

I have done my own 70/30 blend and a CD 14 worked in my 3 inch jars. I also have done the 50/50 parasoy and a CD 12 worked in my 3 inch jars.

I use wide mouth mason jars that have a 3 inch diameter. I use CD wicks in mine. I would try a CD 16 since this seems to be giving you fits. The CD 16 works for me with my GB 415 but others say they have to use CD 18's or 20's.

I have done my own 70/30 blend and a CD 14 worked in my 3 inch jars. I also have done the 50/50 parasoy and a CD 12 worked in my 3 inch jars.

Have to agree with Jami and I think I might have already posted this but I use nothing but 3 inch tumblers and always get a full mp with a cd 14 using soy and GL 70/30.

I put at least 8, 3" round tumblers on my kitchen table last night...all with different wicks to compare them all at once. My daughter said it looked pretty funny with all those candles burning. However, my results were as follows:

ECO 10 worked very well...but glass was way too hot to touch at 3 hour mark. Also, this wick did not work in Lemon FO...left major hang up, similar to the pictures you posted. After power burning it today yet again, it still didn't catch up.

62C-Definately too small. Need to wick up.

CDN 16-almost full melt pool at one hour mark and way too hot to touch.

HTP 104-small MP at one hour, not even full at 3 hour mark. Will try 105 next.

765 from Wick It-my favorite so far out of all wicks tried. At 3 hours had full MP, about 1/4-1/2 inch and was not too hot to touch glass! Very clean burning as well.

Now, mind you, I am a total Newbie here, but I'm finally starting to get somewhere...at least I think so!! lol :yay:

HTH,

Suzy

After reading your post, I am curious about some things.

1. What type of wax were you testing?

2. What type jars?

3. Was the lemon FO in all the jars? If so, how much?

4. How far apart were all these jars on your table?

5. Any coloring used? If so, how much of what kind?

Everyone has a variety of different results. I have been told that CD 16's wouldn't work in my wide mouth jars using GB 415 (100% soy). But they worked perfect without the jar being hot at all. HTP 105's didn't clean the jars but 1212's were to hot for me so a 126 is what I need to test next.

Just curious as to the variances of your testing. Thanks!!

Hi Jami,

I tested with 100% 415.

FO's were a variety, MC, ICS, Candle Cocoon....Lemon was from Backwoods. It was strong! I used 1 1/2 ounce pp in all and I suppose I should have tested them alone but I just had surgery and wanted to test as many as possible without screwing up my notes, thanks to vicoden. :P ICS Country Berry HC was strong as well.

I have a large rectangle table and spaced them all out as far as possible. Table seats 8. Used no coloring. I'm just not getting any good colors with soy yet. Suggestions?

I'm using the tumbler, 8oz size jars that are about 3" inches wide. I think I got them from Fillmore, but l'd have to check to be sure. I also purchased some 12 ounce tumblers as well.

HTH :)

Suzy

PS....I made sure to stay on top of note-taking this time! lol

Thanks Suzy!

That was a big help. I haven't tried the wick it's because there is such a variety for one size I never knew what to try. I will try the 765 with my GB 415 next in my wide mouths.

Just a suggestion, try the HTP 126 next instead of the 105. The 105 didn't clean the jar for me. I have seen alot use 1212's for the 3 inch jars but that was a torch for me and had too big of a melt pool. The only way I got the 1212's to work in this jar was to add beeswax and make the wax a little harder and slower to burn.

I have a sampler pack of eco's and poured a tester in an 8 oz JJ with an eco 8 last night. After reading your post about the 10, I think I should have started with a 6 instead. *sigh*

I can get good colors in soy with my color crystals and sometimes liquid dye but soy tends to stay on the pastel side of coloring. I have noticed that when I had 5 - 10% paraffin to my candles, I can achieve the pretty "deep" colors I want without bogging down a wick.

The joys of testing, I have learned to love to hate it :laugh2:

p.s. I can relate to screwing up notes and testing. I had back surgery and neck surgery last year. That's how I got started in the candle hobby. I have learned, my cut off time to make candles is 11 p.m. because I take meds around 10 and there has been some ummmm "interesting" things done with my pain meds :embarasse lol