FO's that discolor...what do you do?

TexasBrat

This is for the Backwoods soap swap, I picked one that turns a medium brown so I need to make it look pretty..if that is possible. I'll give that a shot...doing the unscented swirl.

Scented, I would assume at least a cup or so of unscented would work, of course it depends how big the batch is altogether. jg

I pull a half-cup or so of batter (ppo) before I scent it. Then I color that portion and swirl back into the scented main portion of batter. Or, if the D is light, I add dark colors like burgundy oxide and they hold the color just fine.

I seldom mess with TD.

For scents that go really dark? I do a blind white mica swirl, an unscented light clay swirl, or just top with colorful mica.

ETA: If all else fails, give it a really cool texture on top to add visual interest. You can also top with botanicals.

I put cosmetic glitter, you can get it in diffrent colors or glittery micas to add a little pizazz to the soap. Or I will add poppy seeds or dried flowers or other additives to add textural interest.

I have a couple small bars of pink sugar and that gets brown in soap. I heated up alittle of my beeswax that I add to my soap and put the fo in the beeswax, then added it to my soap. So far after a few months still a light pink swirl to it.:D

I've heard of an additive that's supposed to reduce browning caused by vanillas. It's not TiO2. I can't think of the name of it or where I saw it. I'll keep a look out and post if I find it. Anyone else know what I'm talking about?

I've heard of an additive that's supposed to reduce browning caused by vanillas. It's not TiO2. I can't think of the name of it or where I saw it. I'll keep a look out and post if I find it. Anyone else know what I'm talking about?

It's Titanium Dioxide which is what I suggested but it sounds like most people find it doesn't help when a fo wants to turn soap brown. :undecided I like the idea of glitter except I'm not sure everyone will like the glitter idea.

E...so you add the cocoa to the fo mix just to make it turn really dark as if you purposely are coloring it dark? But you still leave out a portion of unscented right?? Or do I have it all wrong??

It's from WSP and it's a vanilla color stabalizer and it only works on m&p. I tried it on a batch of orange chiffon cake. Did absolutely nothing to help. I love that scent in soap but it turns this mahogony color that turns your shower/bath water tan but it smells heavenly. It seems that it changes because of oxidation because I can use it and use it and it'll be cream color within 1/16th" down but by next morning it'll all be brown again. I wonder if I wrap it in saran wrap directly after taking out of mold (I do cphp) if it would stop it. Oh, I now have a reason to make some more soap!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by itsmejeffd viewpost.gif

Oops! I misread your comment. :undecided Those only work for m&p.

I'm not literally trying to stop the browning I was just hoping for someway to make it not look so brown. kwim?

E...so you add the cocoa to the fo mix just to make it turn really dark as if you purposely are coloring it dark? But you still leave out a portion of unscented right?? Or do I have it all wrong??

You have it right. Just a little cocoa will make it easy to differentiate between the scented and unscented portions for swirling. I'm not a big TD fan; to me it leaves a chalky effect in the soap.

I did a batch last week and it's still changing colors. It's the color of cocoa powder and I didn't color it at all. The bad part is It's a vanilla scent & who is going to use brown vanilla soap lol. It smells awesome though :) I think I'm going to only use fo's that I know won't turn brown.

I did a batch last week and it's still changing colors. It's the color of cocoa powder and I didn't color it at all. The bad part is It's a vanilla scent & who is going to use brown vanilla soap lol. It smells awesome though :) I think I'm going to only use fo's that I know won't turn brown.

Good luck lol!! Actually there are people who buy brown soaps.

Yes, I agree w/ Scented -- there are people who love a scent so much, they couldn't care less about the soap being brown.

Others are weirded out by brown soap and tan lather, and refuse to buy.

I'm the first type. I couldn't care less about brown soap or tan lather -- if I love the scent!

I made a coffee soap with coffee scrubbies in it and it turned such a dark brown but my nieces friend absolutely loved the soap, she never once said it was to dark. I think we are to hard on ourselves about the brown. When I was just a soap buyer I never once thought so much about how the soaps looked but more about the scent.