Please help me what is wrong with this??

Here is a candle, I bought from a local craft show, some girl was making them, I have been burning it and this is what happens. Can you tell me why this looks so bad. I am not sure, Thanks

a carelessly crafted candle

Incorrect Wick size and or type

too much fragrance

incompatible fragrance

are you burning it near a draft?

have you been keeping the wick trimmed?

is there a bunch of wick debris in the melt pool?

When I was first starting out, one of my test candles looked like that. It was because I overwicked. Also, I purposely did not trim my wick (trying to do what I thought customers may do). Both of those things combined made one real mess like you have.

That Makes my candles pretty cause mine are only half that smoky.

Paul :D:D

LOL at you Paul! :)

Yeah, you can see the wick was too big for the jar. Smaller wick prob would have made a great candle since you said it smelled all over the house.

If you know the gal you may want to suggest wicking down to her? :)

Ummmm, why is there still a wick IN the jar???

I mean, shouldn't the wick be waaaaay down at the bottom where the wax is? hmmm.gif I'm sure it is one of the above mentioned. (wasn't trimmed, too big a wick, too much FO, etc.)

Here is a candle, I bought from a local craft show, some girl was making them, Can you tell me why this looks so bad. I am not sure, Thanks

This is a perfect example of someone jumping into candle making and selling before they knew what they were doing. She is obviously one of those who think all you have to do is melt some wax, throw a wick in there and put it out for sale. Who ever sold that to you has not done ANY testing. I would take it back to her and let her know she needs to get a clue of a quality candle before she sells any more, and demand my money back. ;)

I met a man who wanted me to help him learn to make candles...he bugged me every day and so did his mother....needless to say, after many patient hours of trying to help they are no longer in my life LOL.......what I found he was doing, was making candles with any kind of wax he could find....including paraffin that you use to put on top of jelly....the kind from safeway.....he just thought that wax was wax. His candles were pretty ugly but I know that he sold some at craft shows....wonder what happend there? My ex husband (who has since lost his marbles, I mean really) was trying to make jar candles. He kept calling me to find out how to do it.....he was just pouring wax into any size jar and the wicks kept falling over.....his wife made him make them outside on the grill because she was afraid he would burn the house down. He was trying to make candles to cover up the cigarette smoke that she hated (four packs a day)....they are since divorced and he probably doesn't even remember being married to her or making candles........there are some scarey "candlemakers" out there. A pretty jar does not a candle make......if you have read this far, you must be really bored and don't have a life LOL....Have a good day, Donita

:eek: HOLY CRAP..is that one of my first candles..lol..just kidding :P ..my first ones did not even burn..the wicks were to small.

WHY would someone do that..not test..I would definately contact the person you bought it from and let them know..and SHOW them the jar.. they need to fix that before they get sued by someone not very nice and understanding.