Biggest show of the year! UPDATE-Day 3 Festival list for area!

Fire and Ice

:yay: Finally it's here! I was able to pour 575 candles for this show and I'm really hoping that I sell out and get a couple of wholesale accounts.

It's attended by as many as 75,000 people. This is my fourth year doing this juried show and I love this show but I've hired help because the crowds are thick and crazy!

Thank God I went back to work last week so I'd have pleanty of change.

Three days and nights of nothing but crowds!:P 8:00am til 10:00pm

The weather will be wonderful! No rain and NO SNOW!:bliss:

Okay, the first day is done and I did okay but the crowds were thinner than general due to some factories working a lot of overtime due to hurricanes in the south. Still, I made my booth fee twice so I'm okay with that. And Friday is generally the lightest day of the three. I also have to realize that I'm paying someone $45.00 to sit in there with me! I don't want to have sales walk away because I had to wait thirty minute to use the porta johns:sad2: . My neighbor beside me tried to help but some people only wanted to speak with me prior to buying. (sounds like another canlde maker to me;))

Still, It can get very crazy as she witnessed toght right before closing. Small rush!

Also, some people spend the first day just looking and then buy on the second or third day.

Thank goodness for regular customers who come in to smell all the new scents and buy because they know my reputation. Others like the fact that I don't need to bash someones candles to make a sale. I sent two customer over to my competitor because from what I was hearing them tell me, they wanted paraffin candles because that's what they knew and understood. I sent them over but gave them each a set of soy clamshells to try for free.

One chandler moved in across the way in the middle of the afternoon because they were set up outside and their candles were getting soft. They were bakery type candles. Nice candles too. I have no idea if the had to pay extra for the booth or not but it's luck it was open. Had I had the money, I'd grabbed both spaces and moved across. Next year I'll get a double booth. 10X10 just don't cut the mustard any more.

The guy next to me does fret work in wood with a laser and a computor and boy is his work wonderful but for some reason it's not really selling yet. Hope he does better tomorrow. His work is outstanding!

Bill, who runs the show, jokingly told me that over a dozen chandles dropped out due to last years lack of sale! "Ya chased em all away!;) "LOL! YEAH RIGHT!! then he asked me for his $100.00 tip and the Choclate Brownie candle!(see I told Ya he was joking!) He did get the Brownie candle though. I work with him and my competitor at the same factory! and we all get along fine.

Locally the chandlers are thinning due to rising prices on all of the supplies. I also think that most that think it's a get rich quick idea, are given a reality check when they go to purchase supplies now! Still otheer are at other festivals and shows as well.

We have the Zoar Harvest Fest, which is about five miles from me as well as the Dover Craft fair that's also local and Sugercreek Swiss Fest. All are running this weekend! All are very big with Atwood and the Swiss fest being the biggest.

Many will hit Zoar on the way to Atwood and my compitition actually has enough family members that she sets up at both Dover and Atwood.

Gotta get to bed. I have no picture because I don't own a digital camera.

Will report again tomorrow!

Day 2 of this show was awesome! made nearly 10x my booth fee and have a possible large wholesale account from the next county. (A wilderness center) The sellering started out very early and were steady followed by good size rushes every two hours or so. It was pretty hot in that tent though! It cooled off nicely at dusk though.

The other candle makers came through several times smelling to see what was new in my booth this year and kept asking where I got my scents."Off the Net" was my standard answer. They all took the scent list and were studying it with intent at their booths as I did my tour of their booths (or rather my friend who helped me out.)

Today I have another friend coming down and I will be putting her to work as a spy asking a few interesting questions of other chandlers.

The woman chandler across the way came over and chatted with me for about 40 minutes. She came by and said she'd watched all day and could believe the volume of customers at my tables and what was my secret. I the same answer time and time again

"The annointing of The Holy Spirit who annoints the candles with God incrediable and perfect peace." It is truely a God Move when I sell like this!. His annointing makes the differeance, not my candles.

I have no idea if I'll sell out but I will come very close to it if I don't. And there are thirty-six other chandle makers at this show. Four of them are in my tent with me. That why she was so dumbstruck by the volume when others chandlers were just selling slow to slow be sorta steady."

Scents I sold out of or am close to selling out of!

Amish Harvest(Sold Out!)

White Tea and Ginger(Sold out!)

Peppermint(2 left!)

Arctic Brownie(1 left)

Coconut(sold out)

Cranberry Cinnamon (4 left)

Pumpkin Pie(3left)

Chocolate Brownie(9 left out of 48)

I will be coming home with less than ten cases of candles if I don'y sell out today!:yay::yes::bliss:

:yay:Third day of the show was better than I'd hoped for though not quite as good as yesterday. I was steady all day but the rushes were few and far between and smaller. I was able to direct a few customers to other chandlers and they directed several to me as well. But we were all in the same tent so it really worked out well for all involved. The customer and their wants and needs come first before my cash drawer. The other chandlers felt the same and it was nice to work the public almost as a team instead of trying to figh against each other. Cindly, who work in the same plant with me, does really wonderful painting on slate as well as wooden character like snowmen and such. She's multi talented and did VERY well and I'm happy for her. She also does some BB things but not sure what all she carries other than a linen spray and air fresheners and candle warmers. The crowds on Sunday are actually the biggest due to a huge car show that goes on all day.

I had to leave once due to having to go home and get some of the money from the day before to buy my double space for next year!

We started tearing down around 5:30pm

The show is called the ATWOOD AREA FALL FESTIVAL In Tuscawaras County. about 35 miles south of Canton Ohio. (3 DAY SHOW) AND IS JURIED! ENTRY IS $125 FOR 10X10 BOOTH UNDER BIG TENTS OR $110.00 FOR SPACE FOR YOUR OWN TENT OUTSIDE. PASSES FOR ENTERING THE PARK AND FREE PARKING FOR VENDORS AND ONE OTHER PERSON. OTHER PASSES $3.00 EACH. OTHERWISE $5.00 A HEAD PER DAY.

ThiS FIRST WEEKEND IN OCTOBER SHARES SEVERAL OTHER CRAFT SHOWS AS WELL :

DOVER BAND CRAFT SHOW-TWO DAYS) NEVER BEEN TO IT NOR BEEN IN IT BUT IT'S SMALL POPTATES COMPLAIRED TO ATWOOD. ENTRY IS $75.00 FOR 10X10 BOOTH BUT KNOW LITTLE ELSE ABOUT IT.

SUGARCREEK SWISS FESTIVAL- (THREE DAYS) VERY BIG AND HAS HUGE DRAW OF TOURIST AND SWISS CHEESE LOVERS. HUGE TOUREST ATTACTION FOR THE FALL. NEVER SHOWN IN IT BUT THE CROWDS AREHUGE AND IT TAKES UP A WHOLE TOWN. SUGARCREEK IS TOURIST ATTRACTION BECAUSE OF IT BEING AMISH COUNTRY.

ZOAR HARVEST FESTIVAL-(Two Days) MANY PEOPLE WHO DON'T WANT THE SIZE OF ATWOOD BUT WANT THE QUALITY WILL ENTER THE ZOAR SHOW BECAUSE IT'S CLOSE ENOUGH TO ATWOOD TO DRAW THE SAME BUYERS. BUYERS OFTEN HIT BOTH SHOWS SINCE YOU GO THROUGH HISTORIC ZOAR TO GET TO ATWOOD. DIRECTLY OFF THE HIGHWAY (77). VERY HIGH QUALITY CRAFTS AND I BELIEVE THIS SHOW IS ALSO JURIED AND VERY SELECTIVE ABOUT WHO THEY LET IN. THEY WANT TO KEEP THE QUALITLY VERY HIGH WITH VERY LITTLE REPITITION OF PRODUCT. THEY MIGHT ALLOW THREE OR FOUR CANDLE MAKERS BUT THAT'S ALL.

I WAS INVITED TO SUBMIT MY PICTURESAND ONE CANDLE TO THE JUDGES BUT I PASSED BECAUSE I WAS ALREADY SHOWING AT ATWOOD. THAT WAS MY SECOND YEAR AND I PERSONALLY HAVE NOT REGRETTED THE CHOICE.

ATWOOD IT MUCH BIGGER BUT WITH SIZE COMES DIFFERENT HASSALS LIKE VERY BIG CROWDS. ZOAR IS SMALL, QUAINT AND A DIFFERENT TYPE OF BUYER WHO MIGHT BE MORE SELECTIVE, ESPECIALLY IF THEY ARE GOING TO ATWOOD AFTER THEY LEAVE.:lipsrseal BUT YOU ALSO DON'T HAVE 35 OR 40 CHANDLERS TO COMPETE AGAINST.