how do you stir?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Couldn't you just wipe them off and re-use them for different fo's?

That's what I do with my spoon. After I've stirred my wax I just wipe with a paper towel. No residue, color or scent is left on it. :)

I do wipe them off immediately after use, but the wood holds the color and the scent. Probably because they are a cheap wood.

I am thinking I like the plastic spoon idea. :D

This is my implement of choice for manually stirring a pot.

http://www.amazon.com/MIU-Two-Piece-Nylon-Spoon-Blue/dp/B0000DZCJC/

These puppies are very durable, non-porous and wipe off easily. They're good to over 400 degrees. If wax congeals on them you can hit them (carefully) with a heat gun if you like.

Besides online, I've gotten these at Bed, Bath and Beyond.

I'm curious for the ones that use wooden spoon, popsicle stick thingys, paint sticks. Don't you go through an awful lot of them? If you re-use, don't they hold the FO and color? Maybe it depends on the wax you use? I use 50/50 and add soy. I use stainless steel everything. All I have to do is wipe off with a paper towel and I'm good to go again. I have 1 long handled stainless stir spoon. Just curious.

Sounds like overkill to me. There is an old axiom in the engineering field:

K-I-S-S (Keep it simple stupid)

Anyway, I've never seen mixer blades long enough to reach the bottom of a pour pot. Also I don't think I'd like to be hit with splashing wax.

Buy a spoon.

Fredron

I always thought you weren't suppose to use metal with the non-stick finish...which is what is in the presto pot. Have I been swatting my husband and kids all these years for NOTHING when they use metal with my nonstick pans??? :rolleyes2 Seriously, we used to use the metal whisk, but I was afraid it would mess up the finish, so I stopped using it.

Since my wooden sticks do soak up the color and FO, I mark them and use them over and over.

But, like I said earlier, I think it would be more efficient for me to use the plastic spoons with the long handles....can't tell you how many times I have been mixing five pounds of votive wax and "dragged" my finger through it because my stick was just a little too short....lol

ohhh...i get it now. I don't mix anything in my presto pots. All I do is use it to melt the wax and yes, I use a long handled plastic spoon when stirring in that. I pour the wax from the presto pot into a pour pot, which is stainless and then add my fo and color. In the pour pot I stir everything together with a stainless steel spoon.

Am I the only one that uses metal spoons from walmart/dollar store $1.00 - I have for 7 years. I always thought the wooden spoons would absorb some of my scent.

My wooden spoon has never absorbed the scent or color. I just wipe it clean every time I take it out. The spoon has gotten a bit darker over the 5 years I've used it, but that's about the only color change. :)

Am I the only one that uses metal spoons from walmart/dollar store $1.00 - I have for 7 years. I always thought the wooden spoons would absorb some of my scent.

Do you use a presto pot? Don't you scratch the pot with a metal spoon?

I use big stainless spoon from Goodwill that I've had forever...great place to find cheap spoons and such. To poke relief holes...a piece of wire hanger....Ginger

A metal whisk , here also and its not like the normal whisk, mine is goes round at the bottom instead of bulb shape coming up ... lol hard to explain, i just use a paper towel to wipe off when i'm finished stirring my wax , before i pour. tried the wooden spoon, i had hard time getting wax off plus the fo was still on it, could have been just my cheap wood spoons.