Do Parafin tarts have to be packaged in polypro bags like soy tarts?

Does anyone know if parafin tarts have to be packaged in polypro bags like soy tarts? I was at a local flea market today and saw about 1/2 dozen sellers with parafin tarts in ziplock bags. Am I missing something? I just assumed parafin tarts could have the scent sucked out of them too? Anyone know? Thanks! :)

You can't tell by looking at them. If you are buying something "off the shelf" you could try e-mailing the manufacturer. I've never had any luck with that. I buy mine from u-line, but there are lots of suppliers that carry them.

Get some reuseable containers that have the #5 in a triangle on the bottom. Store them in that till you package them (and even after). The scent will stay.

Everyone always talks about testing your candles - you should test your packaging, too! If you package tarts and 2 months later they have no scent left, your testing went down the drain with your customers.

• 1 month later...

No, actually polyethylene and polypropylene are different. Polyethylene is what regular ziplocs are made of. They will not hold your scent in. Learned that the hard way by using them for bath salts and soap samples. After a while all the scent is gone.

Polypropylene and cello do hold in scent. I get my polypropylene bags from Veripack.com. They have a huge selection.

Wow. I've been using Ziploc bags (actually, not even the Ziploc brand... the generic brand (Target) resealable ones :embarasse ) all this time, and had no idea that they were sucking the scent out of my candles. Thank you so much for the info guys! :smiley2:

I'm assuming polyethylene is the same as polypropylene? :undecided
They aren't the same(chemically). Polypropylene (PP "5") is quite resistant to FO's, and makes for a good votive wrap. Low(er)density polyethylene(LDPE) sandwich storage bags should be left to the sandwiches. And not all PE's are evil... High density polyethylene(HDPE "2") serves well as a FO bottle.

I didn't know a regular zip lock bag would suck the fragrance out of your candles. How does it do that? I guess you learn something new everyday.:confused:

I don't know that it actually "sucks it out", but it sure doesn't suck it in, nor hold it in.

BTW: If you use a container with a #5 triangle, make sure the lid is air tight. I have seen a couple of these at cheap prices, but the lid does not fit tightly enough. I, too, use the Glad

containers.

For anyone who’s interested….

(BTW, not 'linked', copy & paste the blue)

Saran wrap is now made with polyethylene. Was originally made with PVDC (polyvinylidene chloride).

For more info, see Saran’s FAQ…

saranbrands.com/faq.asp

Here is an interesting article on some plastics by Chevron Phillips. Quote about LDPE film: "Conversely, LDPE offers high gas permeability, sensitivity to oils and poor odor resistance." It’s the gas permeability that concerns us, as we’d prefer to keep the FO in our products…. Not exiting through a quite permeable plastic! :whip: I suppose if the candles just really sucked, there wouldn't be much a problem to begin with...

cpchem.com/enu/top_stories_9731.asp

Polyolefin definition from

Answers.com: (organic chemistry) A resinous material made by the polymerization of olefins, such as polyethylene from ethylene, polypropylene from propylene, or polybutene from butylene.

Wiki.: A polyolefin is a polymer produced from a simple olefin, or alkene as a monomer.

Polyproplyene and polyethlyene are both in the polyolefin family. So something advertised as polyolefin can be either, or something else.

Cellophane was originally made from cellulose. But there are now various petroleum substitutes available.

Ex:

pak-sel.com/sub1.htm

papermart.com/index/index_retail_paper.htm

Anyhow, FWIW... :smiley2: