Dye chips not dissolving, HELP!!!

I started with dye chips and converted to liquid dye. I suppose there are pros and cons of each, but I am much, much happier with the liquid dye. The only down side is you really have to be careful not to spill the dye...It's very potent and I think it would be a nightmare to clean up. I handle it very carefully!

I have that problem too with the Reddig diamond dye chips. I swear I stir until my wrist is about to fall off....pour....and then have little sprekles in the bottom of my tarts. GRRRR. I'm just got a bunch of the liquid dyes to use. So much easier!

Ian, there is a bit of a fuel smell, because they are so concentrated. The scent seems to have gone away on the one I've tested so far.

Donna

I've found that if I put the dye chips in my pyrex cup, the put in the microwave for about 30 to 45 seconds, the chips start to melt. Then I pour my wax in and stir. Haven't had any problems this way.

I have one bottle of liquid dye...I made a mess when I used that color. I need to buy more colors and use them. I like the ease of using 1 chip to a pound of wax, but the colors are deeper with the liquid.

I have mainly switched to liquid dye, I do use some chips for colors I can't achieve with the liquid. I have problems with certain colors, like Burghandy, doesn't matter what supplier I use there is always speckling on bottom of tarts, or Cranberry, doesn't dissolve, all the way, no matter how much stirring and adding in at 180 or more. SO to solve this problem I've starting cutting the top corner of the diamond off and that seems to be helping with the speckling or dissolving issues, or I cut in half which can help too!

I use 98% liquid, but I started out with chips. I had the same problem with them not dissolving as well, but I fixed it. I always heat my pour pots in the oven on warm while my wax is melting. I would just throw however many chips I needed for that batch into the pouring pot, while in the oven, and the chips would be completely melted when I was ready. Easy!

ETA: You can also zap the chips with a heat gun before adding them to your wax.

Great, I was just thinking about trying the chips, I tried the blocks but don't like shaving it off the block, thought the chips would be easier. I'm tired of the mess involved with liquids ,frosting and the nice frost line I was getting. So now what? Colorless candles?

Some chips work great!!! I love the navy and bright green for example, but the cranberry I cut in half and it works great. I only use them for colors I cannot achieve with liquid. I did use color blocks in the beginning too, I just found I really prefer the liquid more than anything and try and use it whenever possible. I have a couple of friends that only sell "dye free" candles there is actually quite a market for them as some people don't like the bowls of their tart burners getting stained. Go figure!!!