breaking up paraffin

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not quiet but I bought a plastic tote at wal-mart then put one slab of wax in, beat it into small pieces with a hammer. Then put another slab in and beat that one until the whole case is broken up. It keeps all the wax in one place and the chips stay contained, for the most part. It also makes it easy to store a full case of wax yet be able to access it any time you like.

I think it's the funnest thing ever taking a hammer to it and going nuts! But I've found if you use a large heavy blunt object like a sledgehammer and whak it once really hard in the center of a slab, the whole thing usually breaks all up in one hit. Plus it's fun!:grin2:

I used to slam it on the sidewalk, but I drove the neighborhood dogs nuts. I slammed one in a hallway on the basement floor and thought my eardrums would burst. Boy, it echoes down there! Now, I just put it in a garbage bag and smack it with a hammer then put it in empty kitty litter tubs. It's not quiet, but it is good for stress relief!

I don't bust mine up too much anymore. I use a carving tool (like for clay) and a ruler to score the slab into quarters, then pop the score mark on the edge of the counter. Snaps right in half - pillar and hurricane wax anyway. Half a slab (2 quarters) popped into the presto is approx 5 lbs.

I just hold the slab and slam it on the counter to break in half then do the same to the halves so I have quarters....I think I am gonna go to walmart and get myself a tub and try it out that way, be ready to use when I need it and easy to store.

Guest WhoMe?

Stick it in the freezer for about 15 minutes and then take it out and put it in a pillow case. Throw the pillow case on the floor. If all the pieces don't break small enough, hit the larger chunks with a hammer, while still in the pillow case. This is so much easier than the way I used to do it (with a chisel and hammer).

I personally think that the Damsel in Distress thing works beautifully with the suppliers. Wherever you are purchasing wax, ask that it be broken up for you.

It is all about customer service. Who would say no?

Nothing wrong with Batting Lashes.....save your nails.

That's awesome! I'm not quite sure why that thought never occurred to me. But it is kind of theraputic to take a chisel and hammer to that wax. :grin2:

But it is kind of theraputic to take a chisel and hammer to that wax. :grin2:

Absolutely! Ticked at your spouse 'cos he's being a bonehead? Smash up a slab or two of wax. Teenager being an idiot? Time to chop the wax. In-law problems? Get out the ol' hammer and chisel.

Poor man's therapy! :grin2:

The Rubbermaid idea is a GREAT one! I think I'll try that one-thank you. I tried plastic bags and that just causes holey bags-the pillowcase idea is a good one too. I currently take a hammer to the slabs, but pieces are known to go flying everywhere! When I need a small small amount, I take a big chunk to my work area and score the sections I need with a knife and it breaks easily. The slabs/bags of softer wax is a whole other topic! :embarasse