Mold ???

andy23

Hello all.:) My dilemma is that I want to order some new molds and can't decide which sizes to buy. Either the 3" x 4", 3" x 6", and 3" x 9"....... or

3" x 4.5", etc... I know it is a personal decision, but why would someone order one instead of the other? Hope someone can help:rolleyes2 . Thanks

Andy

Depends on just how comfortable your are filling the molds full. Personaly I like the extra .5". It gives me that much room to slosh instead of spilling if I need to move them before they skim over(like putting in water bath) ;) and yet I still end up with the full size candle.

I've been selling a three piece set in 3x3.5, 3x4.5 and 3x6.5...they sell great this way and I haven't bothered adding the 9" ones...

Yeppers, like Fern I can never just buy one mold and like Trish I love the look of a three piece set. I also have the 9" but only use it when someone request a 4 pc. set.

I personally can never buy just one mold. I usually buy three at a time of the same type so that I can have various size groupings. I just like how it looks.

Ditto! I always do sets of 3 of different height...but sometimes 2 of a 3" diameter and then throw in a 4" diameter just for a varied visual.

I'm a newbie so tell me if I'm wrong. Couldn't you get the 9" and fill it only to 6" or 4.5" if you want a smaller candle.:rolleyes2

Yes you can, I've done it before. But, you have to measure and make sure to stop at the right point :). It really is easier to just slowly build up a supply of all the sizes you want to carry.

I carry 3x3, 3x6, 3x9, 4x5 (plus round, square and octagonal shapes) and also the 3 wick 6" round. Next up is the triangle and a few other odd shapes. I buy a couple of molds a month, when I need to place an order or when someone is selling them cheap (WSP was selling off their 3x6 for $1 each last month!). My goal is to have around 100 pillars molds - I only have about 45 right now. With that many molds I can make more batches of different scents/colors per day than I can make right now.

DanaE

I like to clump the sizes together like the 3x3.5, 3x6.5 and 3x9.5, but I've also got 4xs and need to find a 4x9.5 lol. I just like having molds and to have more than one of each really makes it a lot easier to get not only several of one kind poured, but to pour several scents.

I'm a newbie so tell me if I'm wrong. Couldn't you get the 9" and fill it only to 6" or 4.5" if you want a smaller candle.:rolleyes2

I do this, but have to be careful on the pours as sometimes a little wax sloshes up on the side and then when you take your candle out it can scratch the side of the candle. It can be a pain if you are wanting really smooth candles. This also can happen when I leave a .5 space at the top of the mold.

After awhile, you get a mold addiction as well as a wax one:cheesy2: . I just made three candles from the same mold (for a set). One is 12 1/2 in. the second is 10 1/2 in and the third is 8 1/2 in. It was a real PITA waiting for them each to set up so I could pour the next one.

I did a wedding order for about 200 candles. 8 were 13 x 3....then the most were 9x3.....of course you know what happened.....the 9x3's came out more like 11x3....so had to really melt the bottoms down to be exact. PITA......I used 6 molds that were 3x5's and just did a few every day until I had the required amount. I like to use the right mold size because I am not that good or patient to pour a short candle in a tall mold, and yes, you can scratch your candles with splashed on wax.....which is what always happens to me....I am always in a hurry or bump them or something.....needlesstosay......I have many molds....way too many.....LOL Donita