Consumer Product Safety Commission and Candles

I find this to be quite interesting.

The National Association of State Fire Marshals has petitioned the Consumer Product Safety Commission regarding candle safety. They are proposing that candles be self-extinguishing and that the candle industry take some responsibility in fires that are caused by candles being left unattended. They say although the consumer is at fault, that the industry should have to take some responsibility.

They also say that alot of lead wicks are still in use, which is misleading because it is only candles being imported from overseas which have these--I have never seen them for sale at any suppliers. They are recommending industry changes.

http://www.firemarshals.org/mission/residential/ignition_sources/candles.asp

This is the Consumer Product Safety Commission's voluntary standards regarding candles:

http://www.cpsc.gov/volstd/candles/candles.html

And if you just do a search here, you will be blown away with the pages and pages of recalls:

http://search.cpsc.gov/

Good grief! It doesn't make a lot of sense. Did you read this part about self-extinguishing

"Some experts believe that candle safety will improve if wicks do not extend the full length of a candle - with perhaps a 1/4 inch margin of wax left at a candle's bottom. Such candles would self-extinguish, thereby helping to address the fairly common problem caused by consumer carelessness. "

Do they think it's possible to make a candle with a wick that doesn't go to the bottom? Now, using a longer next tab would help with this, but I don't see how it will prevent many fires. Tell someone their candle is self-extinguishing and they'll burn it all night long. I guess the thought that keeping the 1/4" in there is going to help with consumer carelessness for the rest of the candle is a little off. I only read the fire marshall link so far.

I remember the thread where someone was developing something to put on your wick that would make candles go out every few hours and could still be relit. I have no problem using longer tabs (except on t-lites), just don't see how many fires that would prevent. At least they're not requesting some kind of fireproof shield be made around the candles or something. :)

I think its a lot of irresponsible consumers leaving their candles unattended causing a fire then crying to the government because they knew how stupid they were and needed someone to blame other than themselves. All they have to be is literate and read the warning labels on the bottom. It clearly should state "Never leave a burning candle unattended". "Extinquish the candle when 1/4 inch of wax remains".

Hmmm...interesting. So, if I burn dinner, does that mean they are going to make appliance companies create a self-extinguishing oven? LOL I don't think so! That is so stupid IMHO - people need to start using their brains every once and a while - or at least hang around people that do.

Unfortunately that is the make up of the general public. Just like there are directions on hair dryers not to use them in water and people who sue for millions because the HOT drink they ordered was TOO hot so they burned themselves. That's why it is so important to include candle burning instructions if you are selling them.

Some experts believe that candle safety will improve if wicks do not extend the full length of a candle - with perhaps a 1/4 inch margin of wax left at a candle's bottom. Such candles would self-extinguish, thereby helping to address the fairly common problem caused by consumer carelessness.
I wonder who those 'experts' were. Wonder if they are candle-users and makers. Logically, that proposal doesn't seem very stable for the wick & tab.

There probably is some group out there that probably thinks we need to wear helmets and various paddings to protect ourselves after we get out of bed and on with our day. :tongue2:

Unfortunately that is the make up of the general public. Just like there are directions on hair dryers not to use them in water and people who sue for millions because the HOT drink they ordered was TOO hot so they burned themselves. That's why it is so important to include candle burning instructions if you are selling them.

I like the finger in the chili more :-) LOL

What concerns me is that alot of the sources quoted, were excerpts which were run from newspapers. They are discussing that there are a lot of lead wicks and I can only assume they are talking about imported candles in cheapie stores. The big producers in the US and the crafters like us aren't doing it, but there is no mention, it is just discussed as if the whole of the industry does this. They need to use impartial, factual sources before they change standards.

I see the National Candle Association is involved in this, but the ICGA (could have that wrong) should also be involved, it involves all of our business/hobbies.

What concerns me is that alot of the sources quoted, were excerpts which were run from newspapers. They are discussing that there are a lot of lead wicks and I can only assume they are talking about imported candles in cheapie stores. The big producers in the US and the crafters like us aren't doing it, but there is no mention, it is just discussed as if the whole of the industry does this. They need to use impartial, factual sources before they change standards.

I see the National Candle Association is involved in this, but the ICGA (could have that wrong) should also be involved, it involves all of our business/hobbies.

I don't have my reference info handy, but if memory serves me, our zinc wicks still include a percentage of lead, however, at a level that is acceptable under current EPA standards.

If the gov't would just enforce their 2003 law http://www.epa.gov/fedrgstr/EPA-IMPACT/2003/April/Day-18/i9255.htm that made everyone label the shipping containers of candles with metal wicks, there wouldn't be as much as a problem. The voluntary ban was 1974, the law went into effect Oct 2003. So it will probably take them a good long while to change it again :)

I couldnt help to notice that when I printed this out to read on the train home today that it was dated 11/13/2000. There should of been some kind of response to this by now, maybe someone could find that out? I will look later on if nobody finds anything.

I wonder who those 'experts' were. Wonder if they are candle-users and makers. Logically, that proposal doesn't seem very stable for the wick & tab.

For pillars that's a very safe design and works fine. It's the way I already make them. What's really dangerous in pillars is a wick tab at the bottom. Those should just be for containers.

In containers, I think the wick can be considered terminated where it meets the neck of the tab. The 6mm necks are almost 1/4" already.

All in all, that particular recommendation doesn't seem unreasonable.

I couldnt help to notice that when I printed this out to read on the train home today that it was dated 11/13/2000. There should of been some kind of response to this by now, maybe someone could find that out? I will look later on if nobody finds anything.

The original letters were sent then, there are follow up letters that they were discussing on the CPSC in June, 2006. The voluntary standards just got revised in Nov, 2006. So yes, it has been six years since they raised the issue but if you go to both of the sites, you will see they are actively discussing it now. What can you say...government is s...l....o...w! Like Robin said, it will probably be a while if they enact it into mandatory.

For pillars that's a very safe design and works fine. It's the way I already make them. What's really dangerous in pillars is a wick tab at the bottom. Those should just be for containers.

In containers, I think the wick can be considered terminated where it meets the neck of the tab. The 6mm necks are almost 1/4" already.

All in all, that particular recommendation doesn't seem unreasonable.

Top, what is the danger of the wick tab in the bottom? I know they were more concerned with the burn level on the pillars than they were containers. I haven't ventured into pillars, nor burn them. It is probably a real obvious answer that I am just not getting right now:embarasse

I find this to be quite interesting.

The National Association of State Fire Marshals has petitioned the Consumer Product Safety Commission regarding candle safety. They are proposing that candles be self-extinguishing and that the candle industry take some responsibility in fires that are caused by candles being left unattended. They say although the consumer is at fault, that the industry should have to take some responsibility.

They also say that alot of lead wicks are still in use, which is misleading because it is only candles being imported from overseas which have these--I have never seen them for sale at any suppliers. They are recommending industry changes.

http://www.firemarshals.org/mission/residential/ignition_sources/candles.asp

This is the Consumer Product Safety Commission's voluntary standards regarding candles:

http://www.cpsc.gov/volstd/candles/candles.html

And if you just do a search here, you will be blown away with the pages and pages of recalls:

http://search.cpsc.gov/

This is just another example of the consumer or people in general not taking responsibility for their action. So now the person who starts a fire because they didnt blow out the candle when they went to bed isnt at fault, we the candle makes are. Hmmmmm. Why dont we group this person with the clown driving around with a hot cup of java in their crotch. Not to forget the person who uses their hair dryer in the tub. People just need some common sense and realize there is a direct relationship between cause and effect.

Top, what is the danger of the wick tab in the bottom? I know they were more concerned with the burn level on the pillars than they were containers. I haven't ventured into pillars, nor burn them. It is probably a real obvious answer that I am just not getting right now:embarasse

As you know, the sustainer base prevents the wick from toppling over in the melt pool as a container candle burns to the bottom. It does the same thing in a pillar, so you end up with a lit wick and tab sitting on whatever surface the candle happens to be on. With the bottom of the tab unsealed, the wick can keep burning until there's nothing left but a film of wax under it.

As far as safety is concerned it's a terrible design. As long as there's no tab, it really only makes a small difference whether the wick goes all the way to the bottom or stops a little short. Either way it's liable to tip over and drown before any harm can be done. Stopping short might be a little safer, but another big reason I do that is to make the candle easier to level and to help it sit flat. If I had a machine that would cleanly cut the bottom I might not bother.

Thanks, makes sense. I was thinking that the wick would stop when it hit the neck of the tab, but I did not think about it not being secured. One day I will venture into pillars--just still changing things with containers that I don't need any extra testing at the moment. Cheers.:smiley2:

Thanks, makes sense. I was thinking that the wick would stop when it hit the neck of the tab, but I did not think about it not being secured. One day I will venture into pillars--just still changing things with containers that I don't need any extra testing at the moment. Cheers.:smiley2:

I once thought it might work that way. I even saw a company selling pillars claiming that they included a tab as a safety feature. Actually they do it because it's easier and cheaper to make them that way. I did many tests and found that this design burns to the bitter end. It might stop when it hits the tab neck if you're careful to seal the bottom with silicone. Otherwise the melted wax feeds up through the hole in the tab.

At first I was waiting for the punch line. Since there wasn't one ... WTH!!

OK we've made our kids stupid because (at least once upon a time it was like this when I was a step monster) they could retake the same test till they passed; we banned flunking anyone in school (just not during my days!); and we've made the world lazy in so many ways ... sure, let's make the candle industry responsible (and some should be don't get me wrong) because an idiot leaves a candle burning, under, let's say a curtain, or puts some papers on top of a container because they forgot it was lit. Please.

I bet a bunch of Lawyers out there can't wait for this to take place. Blaming the candle makers for a consumer not burning the candle correctly would never hold up in court. I have been on a lot of different boards and this board for a long time. I can't remember anybody posting that they were sued and lost. We make safe candles that burn great. We don't have to worry, but some of the larger companies that mass produce for outlet stores do. I'm not talking about the Yankmes and such. But companies that make candles and other products. GlaXX has had some major problems and look at some of thier candles the wick is not centered and pull the sticker off the bottom it is off centered and sometimes not even secured.

I have seen some candles where the wick was not secured at the bottom of the container with a wick stick um, glue dot or anything. That causes the wick to float when it gets close to the bottom. The instructions say never burn a candle lower than about a half an inch or so. But nobody ever pays attention even if you tell them not to. I have a picture a customer of ours sent to us, of a big named Candle Co. I won't give their name but the wick was not secured on the bottom of the container and it floated to one side and busted the container. You can see the name of the company on a piece of glass laying on the counter. As soon as I find it I will post it. Glass going from extremly different temperatures is what mainly causes containers to crack. Normally from a wick that is not centered or the wick tab is not secured at the bottom. I have seen some containers that are very thin and I would never make a candle in one.

I'm sure ya'll are just like I am, whenever I go somewhere, if I see Candles, I open them to check the scent and I always look at the wick. I think about 90% of the mass produced candles from companies overseas and some here are an accident waiting to happen. I looked at one candle at a Kroger store and it was 16oz apothecary jar for about $1.99 so you know the quality of the candle. I could actually see the wick touching the side of the container in the middle of one of the candles. I found a 4" square pillar candle and the wick was perfectly centered at the top. I took the caution label that covered the complete bottom of the candle off and the wick tab was in the corner on the bottom. The candle will not burn right it will have a blow out on the side about half way down.

I watched Congress on tv and they were discussing house fires and some of the causes. They were hard on the mattress and candle industry. The guy representing the Candle Manufactures said that they are taking every measure to make candles safer. The Fire Marshall or whatever he was said he didn't agree. When the consumer buys some of these candles from these candle manufacturers they are unsafe before they leave the store. If they would just put standards on these companies it would probably help.

I know a lot of the people on the board and in general I know that everybody here is very paticular about their candles and how they are made. We are not the problem. Someone suggested to us a long time ago to contact our local paper and ask them to do an article on candle safety. We did and they did a big article in our local paper. They contacted the Fire Marshall and interviewed him and he agreed with us that most candle fires are caused by the consumers not burning them correctly. I would suggest to everyone to contact their local paper and tell them you want to do a story on candle safety. Plus it is good advertisment for your company.

Anyway thats my opionion. Sorry it so long. It just chaps my ass when they talk about things like this because it groups us with the companies that dont really care about making safe candles. And after meeting and talking to a lot of the handmade candle makers large or small we make safe candles. The Fire Marshall can tell you exactly what caused a fire and why. JMHO

Rob in tx

I get so tired of people who think life should be inherently risk free. :undecided They don't want to take responsibility for their own decisions and actions; they just want to blame someone else when something goes awry. Ugh. Smacks of an attitude of entitlement.

I test my stuff. Now the customer should do his/her part and burn responsibly.