Glade

Isn't Glade the one that makes the oil burner things? Those commercials kill me. They go on about how candles take too long to disperse scent throughout the air, but they have a whole line of candles?! Then they say how the 'problem' w/ candles is how they all look the same, but they show 3 cheesy plastic containers that look exactly alike - oh, but wait, they're 3 different heights ... WTF!?!? I have a friend that bought one when they 1st came out & threw it away. She said it smelled good enough, but was fairly pricey & the little wax/oil pod-thing burned for about 2 hrs (can't remember exactly) & was gone. She's a 'trust-fund baby' that doesn't have to watch her money, but was smart enough to know she'd be spending a boat-load of money to keep buying those refills!! I'd say they're pushing hard for the holiday dollars, but not worried about a product that delivers too few results for the cost. Am I wrong? Anyone actually tried these things?

Susan.

I found that marketing my candles as Hand Poured and not Home Made is a better strategy for me..I just keep pressing those words and eventually people believe (and it's true) that they can buy commercial candles or..they can get custom candles. I have customers who contact me once a year...they will buy loads of stuff and of course our shelf life I think is better than commercial candles. Yesterday I shopped the outlets and went into a yankee candle (sorry I used the y word) for the first time..I was actually looking for tart warmers...my hubby says I would talk to a snake if someone will hold it and I was chatting up with some woman...somehow it came out that I make candles. I actually had some cinnamon buns tarts in my car..my hubby said we looked like a drug dealer and crack addict standing by my car but I gave her a half dozen tarts...she called last night and ordered loads of stuff..some people like to feel that they are purchasing a more customized product..depending on your clientele I think your wording is your best weapon.

JMO

the one that burns me up is the supposed glade candles made with essential oils. who has heard of glistening snow eo. what they are doing is using fo and adding a drop of eo and saying they are made with eo's. i just get so mad at the false advertising. grrrrrrrrrrr.

They always bump up the candle stuff during the holiday season.

as for the EO stuff, they call it "waving the wand" which means adding just enough to call it an ingredient whether or not it is noticeable. But perhaps they used a reasonable amount EOs in their fragrance blend - you never know.

I've tried them.. Yup, about 2 hours. But I have to admit they smelled fantastic. Don't tell anyone I said that...lol

DW bought home one of the xmas scents the other day - I told her why don't she just slap me in the face and be done with it! Yes, I have to admit - they do throw like crazy.

I tried those glade scented oil candles when they first came on the market.

Yep. It was nice, and threw scent all over the room.

Yep. It lasted around 2-2.5 hours.

Yep. It was far too expensive.

What did surprise me, though... was while it filled the room with scent quickly (no false advertising there)... it didn't last. As soon as the flame went out, the scent was gone. Most of my scents last for hours after the flame is out, and a few friends and family that have some of my candles swear they can still smell a few of the scents lingering the next day.

Ya I always boo when the commercials come on! ;) My MIL buys them and she had two lit in here living room and I couldn't smell a thing! figures, I don't like their air freshners much either. I'm more of a febreeze fan... hope they don't make candles too! :tongue2:

Check this out SilverMoon

http://www.febreze.com/en_US/febreze/scent_stories.do

I found that marketing my candles as Hand Poured and not Home Made is a better strategy for me..I just keep pressing those words and eventually people believe (and it's true) that they can buy commercial candles or..they can get custom candles. I have customers who contact me once a year...they will buy loads of stuff and of course our shelf life I think is better than commercial candles. Yesterday I shopped the outlets and went into a yankee candle (sorry I used the y word) for the first time..I was actually looking for tart warmers...my hubby says I would talk to a snake if someone will hold it and I was chatting up with some woman...somehow it came out that I make candles. I actually had some cinnamon buns tarts in my car..my hubby said we looked like a drug dealer and crack addict standing by my car but I gave her a half dozen tarts...she called last night and ordered loads of stuff..some people like to feel that they are purchasing a more customized product..depending on your clientele I think your wording is your best weapon.

JMO

Your husband is a riot!!!!

I just can't bring myself to try it. We all work so hard to give the illusion of the real thing by scents. We are our own worse critics and yet if we were to take one of our candles and hold it up to a commercialized one. We don't really realize how good ours are? People will buy the Glades and the Yankee's because its in front of them. Its all name recognition. I'm an explorer. I like to see whats out there besides whats on the grocery store shelf or in the mall.

There ploy is also to burn them faster so you keep coming back for more. Cha-ching$$$ in their eyes!

The febreeze scentstories had a real market push last year..they were advertised all over the place...this year, it seems they've dropped out of the market. I bought one..okay slap me now...lol..it looks like a boom box that smells..I was in the grocery store over the weekend..I was looking at these placemats that I just had to have...I was surrounded by this apple cinnamon scent..I mean it actually enveloped me...when I moved further down the aisle I no longer smelled the apple and cinnamon..I edged back to the placemats and the scent was there again...a couple aisles down I got hit with the apple cinnamon again..listen I was either going crazy or something was up with the store...I asked for the manager (now believe me when I tell you I have shoes older than this guy) I dragged him by the elbow of his shirt to the place mats and down the other aisle I was smelling the apples and cinnamon..he pointed overheard and showed me where the scents were coming from..I've always heard that groceries pipe scents into stores to get people to buy more...when he showed me how it was done it honestly looked like one of those febreeze boom boxes.

We are our own worse critics and yet if we were to take one of our candles and hold it up to a commercialized one. We don't really realize how good ours are? People will buy the Glades and the Yankee's because its in front of them. Its all name recognition.

I agree. No one will buy your stuff if they don't know it exists.

Being a smaller candlemaker does open you up to the niche market that really wants the type of customer service that comes from good smaller candlemakers. There's a good portion of the candle market that wants the "Hallmark" feel with their candles, and being catered to on an individual basis as only small businesses can makes them feel that they have a friend in the industry that makes the product just for them.

Of course I think that extends to other products as well. We have a local dairy in our town that can't keep milk on the shelves it flies off so fast. But they like that "local, family feel" about their product so they decided not to expand.

I think that is a good part of their appeal.

I bought a glade candle to study. It was cream and apples or something layered. Well it has a nice cold throw but nothing to write home about but when I light it, nothing. Since you smell them in the store unlit, they really want that cold throw good I guess. They used big labels to cover almost the whole glass, I peeled them off, discovered the wetspots and realized that's why they use the large labels. Actually kind of made me want to use larger labels.