Not as easy as they think...

How many of you find that when you start talking to people about your candles and/or bath and body products they think it's SO easy and think they can just jump in without doing research or TESTING?!?!?!? (Is that a run-on sentence?!) I have a good friend that makes greeting cards. She called me today saying she was going to start making massage oil and lotion. BUT, she thinks that she can just buy the ingredients, make it and distribute it ASAP. I asked her about testing and she said, "testing what??". I think she might need to stick with greeting cards!!! LOL

That's like many of the new people who come here. Not ALL of them, by any means. But some of them ask questions about what kind of wax and wicks to use, then a month or two later, with a couple dozen candles under their belt and 2 or 3 that they actually burned and seemed ok, they think it time to start selling them yikes.gif

Besides testing, you must be aware of all the laws and regs that pertain to B&B items. Has your friend even considered any of this too? It sound like your friend really needs to educate herself or she could be in for a world of hurt. She is definately due for a talk about some simple truths.

That's why I don't do B&B, just barely starting with soap :D

Same here. I actually make sugar scrubs, body creams, M&P soaps, etc. but I don't sell them. I give them away to friends, family and I use them myself. I absolutely love them and think it'd be great to sell, but the headaches of listing all the ingredients and such is too much for me.

DanaE

Oh I've run into a few people who make comments about candlemaking being so easy. it's just stick a wick in wax and light. Anyone can do it. Buy a kit at wherever and that any candles you see are made from kits except for like Yankee and HI and PL and those bigger companies. These are the people who crack me up.

Okay - I'll confess......:rolleyes2

When I started making candles a month or two back, that was exactly my impression of candlemaking - melt wax, stick a wick into a mold, pour wax.... The past few weeks have been a wonderful journey, and a journey at that. There is so much to learn, and I still constantly find things in this forum that I don't know about. Today it was fingernailing....... I admire all of you that do this for a living. It's a long process to find what works and what doesn't.

I think it's kind of a normal beginning reaction to any kind of craft. Jewelry making seems easy to me - all you have to do is buy your gemstone beads and thread them on a wire, right? :D But I suppose if you got into it, you'd learn all the special techniques and gauges and qualities and finishes and....

Luckily most people run into experienced people and learn the truth. Well, usually they do ;)

Unfortunately, with people buying more and more "inexpensive" things from China (I'm trying to find a polite way of saying this), I think it's harder for the masses to figure out what's quality and what's crap when they buy. Though they learn pretty quick and won't be back. That's when our staying power will win :)

Thought that was Taiwan ;)

I never said it wasn't a common misperception. Actually had someone ask me over the weekend if candlemaking was hard. All I said was anything is hard if you have a mindset against it, but like anything, if researched and tested it's actually more interesting.

Adding: See I knew there was more types of research to do with all the B&B stuff lol! Here I keep getting told this stuff is easy. If it were easy it should make itself, if that makes sense.

My father is the BEST at this. He thinks that it is brainless and mindless. He buys gel at auctions and makes candles with it. They just dump it in a pan, put it in the stove, melt it, and put a wick in it that they buy from walmart. Sometimes he plops in some fragrance from Walmart too. They always yank the wick straight after it's cooled a bunch. It's hideous.

I get a mixed reaction when people find out I make candles. Some do think it is easy and simple, they quickly change thier mind when I explain a little about pouring temp, addatives, etc. While others are wowed and completely in awe, saying stuff like 'OMG you made that !?!?!?!'

Well, my sister is having this issue. lol. I have made candles for about the last 5 years, but didnt do alot of testing at first. And they were all paraffin, which in my opinion seems alot easier than soy. I know you have to test even when making paraffin candles, it just seems in soy, less scents throw then in paraffin, so more work to figure it all out it seems. But I do be sure to document everything and test everything now =) Anyway, my sister just makes the candles, and sells them in gift baskets to people at her church and doesnt test them, doesnt document anything about how she made them. She couldnt make the same one again because she doesnt keep track of anything. I love her...but i have some tealights, that i use because i know to watch them now...but she made them in the clear plastic cups, and super soft container wax, they liquify completely, but the wick is big, and it falls over to the side a little when the wax liquifies and then it melts the side of the tealight cup!! Then there are a few soy container that melted right down the middle. I have mentioned to her that you have to document everything so you know how to make it again, and that she should always make an extra to test. She hasnt done it though. :undecided Not sure what else to say to her lol I love her but shes selling these candles like this! So not sure what to tell her lol

Not sure what else to say to her lol I love her but shes selling these candles like this! So not sure what to tell her lol

I'm sure she's an awesome person apart from this tendency to distribute randomly designed and untested candles, LOL. I suppose telling her that she's making the rest of us look bad isn't gonna go over very well. However, I can envision that pointing out how a liability claim would ruin her life if a little tealight sets a house on fire and kills the family cat (or worse) could make her think about it. Maybe she would understand that you're telling her because you care about her (and potential innocent victims).

Unfortunately, with people buying more and more "inexpensive" things from China (I'm trying to find a polite way of saying this), I think it's harder for the masses to figure out what's quality and what's crap when they buy. Though they learn pretty quick and won't be back. That's when our staying power will win :)

I know tons of people who will buy the "inexpensive" candles. You know, the ones w/ little or no hot or cold throw, that aren't colored all the way through, etc, etc. When I see those in someones house, I'll QUICKLY find a reason to give them one of mine as a "GIFT"!!! So they can see what QUALITY is!! ;)

Maybe she would understand that you're telling her because you care about her (and potential innocent victims).

Yeah I am trying to find nice ways of saying things. I am going to make a folder up for her like I use that has all the fill in the blank type stuff so she can just fill it in...like date, Fo used, where it was purchased from...etc etc...all the needed details, maybe that will help :rolleyes2

Yeah I am trying to find nice ways of saying things. I am going to make a folder up for her like I use that has all the fill in the blank type stuff so she can just fill it in...like date, Fo used, where it was purchased from...etc etc...all the needed details, maybe that will help :rolleyes2

It's a nice thought, but... if she doesn't understand or even care about the whys and the big picture, it's not likely that she'll take the time to fill it in :(

Making candles and bath and body products is something that you need to love or you just simply can't do a good job at it. That's my story and I'm stickin to it! The folks who think it's simple, and a great way to make some quick cash will be in and out of the business fast enough to make a lot of heads spin. They will learn the quick and easy way that it's not what they thought it was, we don't have to tell them anything.

Let me make an analogy if you will. An artist paints, draws, writes, plays music, etc. as a form of expression. I have never met an artist who decided one day(before ever having put a pencil to paper, or hands to a piano) that they were going to learn how to do it, and make it a little "side business" out of it. HELL NO. An artist takes a form of expression, and one day someone tells them...hey, you're really good, you should think about selling your beautiful work so that others might enjoy it" And that is how these businesses are born. I am not ridiculous enough to call myself an artist because i make candles, soap and lotion. However, I know that I am pretty good at what I do. I started my craft as an creative outlet, a form of expression if you will..although not a beautiful one LOL, but a way to use my hands to create nevertheless. So...maybe this analagy was way off base..but I have this idea in my head, that when you love what you do FIRST, sometimes it CAN make money for you. And IMO, when it comes to any kind of craft it should be something you love if it's gonna be good. That's all.

My favorite is "I can get that same size jar at **INSERT DISCOUNT/DOLLAR STORE CHAIN HERE** for $2 bucks. :rolleyes2

If ya want a Made in China dollar store candle, then ya know where Family Dollar is. :rolleyes2 :rolleyes2

AMEN! :highfive: SO true!