Not as easy as they think...

I was one of those that thought you just buy wax, FO, color wicks and containers and a perfect candle was born.......yeah right. Little did I know that I had to test every FO, wicks and wax and for the first months I did more testing than I did anything (and still testing.) I was already doing that when I found this board, but it's a never ending testing thing, you buy new FO gotta test , you buy a different kind of container/jar you gotta test, same with wax and everything. I started out with a few FO, tested everything and now am selling the containers, but only the ones that have passed mine and a few more peoples testing. I won't sell a candle that has not been tested. I want my customers to come back and first and foremost I want a SAFE candle and if I make something that my name is on, it's gotta be good and I won't sell anything that I wouldn't buy myself. I am now into pillars, don't have many of them in my inventory and won't until I test everyone I make. You gotta love this or you won't stay with it because there is more work than people think.this board is a blessing to me, so many great chandlers with a wealth of knowledge on here. Well here I have rambled on again. :cheesy2:

Hehe the kits they sell at craft stores are awful. They have no name wax with scent blocks instead of oil. Dont think we have to worry about them out selling a great candlemaker:smiley2: I been making candles on and off for 6 months and still dont have my wicking right. I couldnt imagine selling one to someone. I havent been able to make candles for while, early pregnancy smell issue. But gonna get back to it got some candy corn oil I want to try.

It is so funny that you bring up this subject, I was just thinking today, people have no idea how much work this is. I have like 6 new scents I am testing plus pouring like crazy for the fall and holiday season and the orders keep rolling in, if I hear the word votive again I am going to scream LOL I have been trying to get a batch of soap made for a week but I just keep pouring and pouring. LOL

I havent been able to make candles for while, early pregnancy smell issue.

LOL - I'm sorry Jill, I don't mean to make light of your "smell" problems, but I was just talking to my daughter about this very thing today. When I was pregnant with her, I couldn't go anywhere near the kitchen as everything had a weird smell, heck, even made my hubby sleep in the spare bedroom for a week or two because he smelled funny!!! Anyway... He insisted on eating those frozen burritos that you buy in the grocery store, and to this day (my daughter is 12) I cannot smell those things without feeling a wave of nausea!!!! My smell issues passed at 11 weeks, hope you get over yours soon.....

When my DH decided to help me with my hobby of candle making he thought it was just melt, pour, stick a wick in it,,,when the old board was up he kept asking me why I wouldnt just jump in and why I read so much,,,I had to explain to him that its not that easy!!! the first thing I learned was to READ, take notes on what you READ. After I would say about 4 months of lurking on the old board did I finally start asking questions. I was scared to death!!:shocked2: Now he realizes why I take notes and why I come here to this board and talk with you all,,,I test, test and test some more,,I have found a good recipe for pillars but I tested it a long time,,,I have sold some votives but NOT until I tested them. But I am not in this to sell,,,if I ever do thats fine but for now I am still learning to grow. I love my hobby and you all too:highfive: I love making candles, but most of all I want to make SAFE candles,,,JMO

There are so many people that don't know how much work candlemaking really is. My moher in law asked me what is involved in making a candle- I started to explain and she stopped me and said that is was way too much work for her and it was much easier to just buy them from me. Not to mention all the work that went into preparing. I know, personally, that it took me a year to research everything I could get my hands on, continuous emails to the chamber of commerce, SSA and keeping in contact with the county administrator in my county for the business aspect. I took notes on everything I read- my hubby had to build me a shelf above my computer desk to put everything and I still am running out of room. I have spiral notebook and 3 ring notebooks everywhere. After about a year and a half of research and testing and the with the support of my hubby and kids, I finally got my business license in 2004. And I am still learning- thank God for this board. I love what I do- it gives me a chance to show off my creativity. IMO you need to have passion for candlemaking to be successful, if you don't have the love of the craft, you will never last.

Unfortunately the public only knows these big name companies like Yankme, and settle for off centered wicks and little or no scent throw because that's what they are use too. That's how they think all candles are.

Yankme, made in where ever and other big name companies has the monetary resources to market their products. The irony is that a lot of us here make GREAT products, we do everything correct, read, learn, test, we put our 100% effort into what we do. Buttttt, we don't have the marketing skills, resources and funds to out muscle a Yankme. If you have a Yankee me candle and a Valerie candle side by side, the average shopper will take the Yankmem because it's a known brand. It may not be the better candle, but who is Valerie? (:yay: me) lol

The only way people know that the small companies have better products are if they try them. Then they can compare and usually the consumers that thought they were so smart about candles etc; find that they knew jack.

I have only sold a few to regulars not on the open market. I don't feel that I"m ready, but I know that I make good quality, safe candles. Like mostof us here, I have done my research and I'm still learning every day. I make sure my wicks are centered, I'm as accurate as I can be as far as measuring, pouring temp and maximizing fos without over doing it. I take pride in what I do, something that a mass production company tends to over look, because volume not quality is there 1st priority.

Everyone that I have given a candle to, to test or as a gift has come back and raved about it. The strong throw, the clean burns, and have asked to buy cause they want more. Some say they never thought candles could smell so good :shocked2:

And I am still learning. Those of you that put in your time mastering your products, my hat goes off to you. All I can say is we won't stop the big boys or the cheapies, but if we can put out our best work, more people will take notice and more of us little people will get a share of the market.

OMG I can't believe I wrote a novel sorry hope it made sense :P

I had a friends sister decide that she could make candles (soy) and set out to prove it because she was under the delution that I was making money hand over fist!:shocked2:

On her third attemp, she set her kitchen on fire and did over $4,000 in damage! She's lucky she lives close to the fire department! I don't!

She quickly gave it up but buys candles from Wal-Mart because she figured, if she couldn't make candles that were safe, I couldn't either! :shocked2:

What she failed to understand was to do the research and test. She was melt soy wax directly on her stovetop instead of a double boiler! YIKES

Her SIL is one of my testers and Just shakes her head!:P