Disaster Make-Over

Brenda

Today I soaped SW Winter Solstice - looking forward to 32 nice big bars. Soaped at room temperature; had everything ready to go for the swirling and then.... The soap moved fast from creamy trace to a chunky mess as I poured the main part into my mold.

Well, I stirred in the mold trying to incorporate my colors but it was like stirring beef stew. Chunks everywhere! So back in the stainless pot it all went. :tongue2: I was depressed. I put the pot in the oven to cook and got it to the point I could at least get it into the mold. But the top was so wrinkled and nasty I just had to think of an alternative.

So I remembered I had some neat little acrylic boxes and some great co-op 24 Karat gold mica... So here's a pic of one of my little stocking stuffers! About 2.5 oz. each.

golden_soap_ball.jpg

Once I figure out a name I'll put a little hang tag on it! My husband had a "suggestion".....But I had to pass on it! :shocked2:

wow thats going to take alot of gold mica to cover 32 of them. they look adorable though. great idea.

Would you believe it, Carrie, covering 36 soap balls took only one tenth of an ounce of mica! I had a full ounce bag to compare against the one I used mica from so I weighed it. That's some powerful stuff. Of course they are small - only 2.5 ounces - made from half bars.

Saved out 15 bars and trimmed them up since my hands hurt so bad after forming the others.

Thanks for your comments everyone! :cheesy2:

You could practically call it a gold nugget couldn't you?

Thanks! I was thinking of that, Scented. I wondered if they needed to be a little "lumpier"? Making them spherical was the only way I could fit them in the boxes nicely. I suppose there are round nuggets, right? I just can't use the word ball for it after my husbands ongoing comments about the word. Said I needed to sell them in sets of two. :o He was mightily pleased with his jokes. My students and their parents sometimes visit my soap site!

I can just imagine the fun your DH was having with these "balls". :laugh2:

I love the name that you decided on though, much classier!! ;)

The presentation on those is absolutely gorgeous, definitely stand out, should have no problem getting rid of those.

:thumbsup:

Thanks for your nice remarks!

I think they're lovely.

You might do some more but instead of gold, cover them in black to look like coal.

Then package them similarly but with rough fabric- black burlap ?

Then label them as "naughty" and label the gold ones "nice"

That's a great idea! :cheesy2: Thank you!