Beeswax Fern Pillar (Updated - Final Pic)

Henryk

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just wanted to post back and say all you guys are too kind - really - and to thank you so very much for all of your compliments.

They are absolutely gorgeous. With all the testing results you have shared, I have to say that you are the one that is so very kind. Any time I want to do something w/BW, I just search out your threads. 2 1/2" candles are my favorite size and will just have to buy one for myself for Xmas (I know DH will ask what I want :grin2: )

I saw some BW candles at a local candle factory that had been heat-gunned on the top causing the wax to drip down the sides of the candle and they were beautiful and very expensive..so much so that I wouldn't have the heart to lite one.

Your candle is beautiful, Henry. I bet they are a hit for Christmas. Also would love to see the other ones. Was it hard to wick?

Rolled beeswax candles are very popular here. I know lots of people who love beeswax candles but the wax is extremely expensive here. The people who make pillars mostly have their own bee hives or access to a farmer's. Would also love to know where to get molds like yours. We have a local supplier of similar german molds, but the pillar molds start around $65. and up.

I think you guys need to give more credit to the mold - from Mann Lake Bee Supply - and less to me.

Thanks Pam also - I'm wondering if the ones you saw where from a certain company that makes REALLY expensive beeswax candles - I've read posts from people who buy them and talk about them - IMO they sound like cult members. I mean, Candlewic has a sale on beeswax right now at 3 bucks a pound.

Dee and Pam - I just pour them, wick them with either a one or two size larger square braid than the diameter of the pillar and thats it. If you want the drips, just save some wax in the pot and wait until it starts to cool in the pot and drip it over - its just like dripping "frosting" over a cake candle. (Beeswax does drip really well for this type of effect). For this 2.5" one I use a #3 square braid - sometimes a thicker "fern" part doesn't want to fold in as fast as the other parts so I may just push it in a bit (cheat - there, I said it) when I extinguish the candle instead of waiting - if I put a larger wick in it just for this reason I would have to trim it too often - I like lighting them for an evening and just letting it go.

Dee - I think I have that Canadian supplier bookmarked - with the German molds - I think they are all displayed in a gold color ? If so I've always like them - but I can't afford to pay that much.