Question: what attracts people to your candles?

lpoitras

I have masons, holiday mugs, tureens, emamelware soup mugs. I can't figure out what makes some people buy some and not others. I have 3 holiday shows scheduled and don't know where to put my efforts, I thought the enamelware would sell like hotcakes but at the last 2 shows I didn't sell that many. I have holiday mugs that I didn't even like that much and they sold. Do you think people are attracted to your candles because of scent or container? I say scent first, then container. Anyone have an opinion? I make 100% soy containers only so far. Just trying to figure out how many to make of what??? Hopefully I will sell out of all of it.

This is a really good question and I hope that people will respong to it. My opinion is that people are attracted to the container first. I had the pumpkin jars at my last show and people immediately approach the table because of those and then started looking and sniffing everything else. I think that you should have something that is going to pull people to your table and then I think the smell will make them stay. Now saying this, I have had people just glance at my table while walking by and then they would come back and say that there was a smell that drew them back and would try to locate that scent.

Good question

Dawn

If you find out write a book and you'll make tons of money :)

Customers are a puzzle - one show one thing will fly off the shelf, next show something else will.

I'll agree with Dawn - it's the eye candy that will grab their interest as they walk by. Or a catchy sign or slogan. After all, it's not other chandlers that are your competition, it's everyone else! Something intriguing, a bit different, some kind of pattern in color or shape. Then they smell.

It's a great product that will keep them coming back and not be one-time customers.

Packaging. Packaging, and packaging. That goes from everything from your container to your booth to your business cards to, well, everything. Of course this is my opinion and just what I have heard from my customers. At shows, so many people comment on the "look" before the candles. Of course once they smelled the candles they were hooked....lol. :D (Yes, I am modest) Bottom line, if it's not eye catching...they are going to walk on by.

The eye buys! Something very important to remember. Packaging, displays, the whole shebang.. you have to make people want to come and take a look, unless they are there specifically to buy candles. Your booth needs to suck them in with lots of charisma!

Now, all that being said.. there is one other thing that has worked so well for me... if you make room spray, use it!! My sprays stay in the air a super long time.. 2 quick bursts of some kind of homey scent accomplishes 3 things. 1) It makes people stop and ask "What smells so divine?" 2) It sells a LOT of room spray, and 3) It gets them in the booth where they can't resist checking out the rest of the things that smell so good!

I only have to use the room spray when things are slow , and when I do a boutique type show, I spray it close to the door :D When people come in and immediately ask what smells so good, everyone directs them right to my stuff.. it's a beautiful thing! I should also add.. after trying several different scents, around here, Butterscotch or Applescotch spray works the best lol. Something about bakery scents is irresistable, and those two seem to have the most lingering power as well.

In my experience it is the jar or the colors of the candles. How your candles are presented and the packaging that they are in. I know when I'm looking at candles in the store the color of a pillar or the shape of the jar will attract me then I pick it up to smell. But thats me. When I had my store the most important thing to some customers was the scent and they didn't care what color or jar it was in they just had to have that scent.

HTH

Packaging and everything is very important. The more creative you get, the more people will stop by. Also, if they can follow the smell, you will get more customers that way :)

Another thing that some people overlook that works really great for me is risers. When I first started doing craft shows, I didn't have those little cardboard gems. So basically, everything laid on the flat table, and my display really didn't have any dimension to it. Once I started using those risers with some pretty covering, sales doubled and tripled at shows. It made my products a lot more visible, not only because my tables looked more full, but it also brought the products closer to eye level, rather than people having to look down to see my goods.

Just my input! :) HTH

well I admit I am thrown. I thought it was the scent first, then container. I do have risers and a nice table display and just recently started using my own printed hang tags to make the display more professional. My last show was a church bazaar and hardly anyone showed but I sold quite a few for having absolutely no customers. So I was encouraged. I think I know just what to use for Xmas and to dress up my table. Thanks guys.

By the way I used a double wick for mini loaf pans I found for $1 at the Christmas Tree Shop for fall, now they have Christmas ones. I sold 7 of them at the last show. They did turn out adorable so if anyone has that store near them go take a peek.

Looking at it as a customer.

It would have to be:

Customer Service, I hate going to shows and walking up to someones booth and all they are doing is sitting there. I like someone that greets and is nice. Dressed nicely, tells me what the sells are if there is any. But isn't to pushy.

I like to be able to see prices, easily. If it doesn't have a tag on it or if there isn't a display on how much each product cost, I walk away.

Definitly how you set up your booth, Display, display, display. I don't like cluttred booths, or booths that look like they were thrown together in a second. That tells me they don't care, and that there products were made the same way.

Products, definitly have to have something appealing. Something for everyone. I totally agree about colors, that is what catches my eye. I also think packaging is a plus to. I like a variety but to much of one thing, throws me off. Example to many types of containers, in all of the same scents.

I also like stuff that goes along with the season that is going on, I just went to a show and the jewelry lady had christmas jewelry and barely had any Halloween. Me personally, I don't want to think about Christmas yet, when Halloween is in.

I don't look for them, but freebies are always a plus. Even if it's something little. The jewelry lady gives out beaded keychains. Something small, always does the trick.

I always loved going to craft shows, there was one this weekend. I was going to sign up but the lady told me that there were already 4 chandlers there.

Yeah right, there was a Partylite lady, HGP lady, Mia Bella man, and there was one person there that actually made candles but they were gel ones.

I bought myself a pumpkin gel candle, it smells awesome.

Mindy :)

I have to agree with a lot of the other posters. I am initially attracted to presentation/packaging. If it looks good/nice/interesting/pretty, etc...I'll come over to look then I start smelling. If it smells as good as it looks, I'm in consumer heaven.

I also like to see prices and any specials cleary posted by the products.

HTH!

I have to agree with a lot of the other posters. I am initially attracted to presentation/packaging. If it looks good/nice/interesting/pretty, etc...I'll come over to look then I start smelling. If it smells as good as it looks, I'm in consumer heaven.

I also like to see prices and any specials cleary posted by the products.

HTH!

Well I first started not putting out prices so people would ask and get involved. But I decided that was not what people wanted to do. But I think I need to definitely make bigger price lists next time. And I started giving out wick dippers (really how little do they cost me?) and people LOVE these. Still looking for a very very cheap wick clipper instead but don't think they exist.

At craft shows it would have to be display, packaging and color to draw their attention. If this is your first show there, then they don't know the quality of your products, so just because of smell or that it's a candle will not draw them.

Another thing with the spray...

You can print up half sheet discount fliers then fill a fine mist spray bottle with 100% FO. Have someone walk around the show and hand out the fliers and spray each flier with the scent. Tell the potential customer what the scent is and where to find it, this has worked for me. You can also do the same thing if a customer does not buy, just spray a business card and hand it to them as they leave. I have had many people that did not buy right then return because the scent enticed them to.

About containers attracting sells...

Yes a nice attractive or different container may draw people and may make them buy but I don't sell any container that will not burn completely or that causes soot, no matter how unique the container is. I sell only round and straight sided containers and not over 16oz's (anything deeper will soot real bad after half way because the candle can not get the proper oxygen to com-bust properly) Flames burn round not square, oval or triangle so round containers burn the best. I push the quality of my candles not the container it is in. Sure I offer many Colors & Styles (layers, both straight & slant, chunk, rustic & mottle). This is where they get verity but with great quality, complete burn and very little to no soot when burned properly.

If you have electricity in your booth you can do many things to draw attention, flashing lights, flashing message sign, misty fountains, water fountains, fans that blow metallic streamers etc.

Just think of something different and unique to add to your booth to draw attention.

I definitely agree with the others. Presentation first to draw them in. Looking at it from a customer's standpoint instead of a vendor you have to ask yourself, what would draw me into my booth. Color is important and I have been told you want to use colors that make your product "pop". On one of my tables I use red/white/blue. The dark blue cover goes to the floor and then the really bright red topper over that. I have blue shelves that my husband made and over that I use a white lace tablecloth put on in what I call a messy fashion, more draped over the shelves and not stretched out the whole way. The colored candles go on those shelves and when I take a potty break at a show and come back I can spot my booth from quite a distance. My other table has a red cover that goes to the floor with one oak bookshelf for my bath and body items and another oak bookshelf for tins and what I would say are my better jar styles. In between I use a few crates to display Mason jars with pewter lids decorated in more of the country look.

If I am a customer at a show and not a vendor one thing that I look at is how much product is displayed. If I attend a show before lunch I like to see a lot of product displayed. If a table has very little on it early then I won't even look. Now if I attend a show late in the day and tables look bare then I think that they had a great day and are selling out so their product/work must be very good. If I walk in a craft shop/store and there are a zillion things to look at then I'm in heaven. If I walk into a store with very little to look at I turn around and leave. Maybe I'm just strange that way.

And IF you can burn one of your candles that will draw them in. If not, like praireannie said, use room spray. I spray my table covers first thing and then several more times during a show. And you will always hear people say how good your booth smells.

One last thing, IF you smoke do not smoke in your booth at outdoor shows. I smoke and when I get a chance for a break I go far away from the vendors. I just did a show last week where a man and his daughter beside me smoked constantly plus they would approach people with a cigarette hanging out of their mouth. I watched customers step back away from their table when they were talking to them, and then just walked away.

Maggie

always loved going to craft shows, there was one this weekend. I was going to sign up but the lady told me that there were already 4 chandlers there.

Yeah right, there was a Partylite lady, HGP lady, Mia Bella man, and there was one person there that actually made candles but they were gel ones.

These are the shows I LOVE to be in! I Love the challenge of selleing against the big guys and winning the war. I've done shows against both Mia Bells and Party Lite at the same show and They always go home early due to lack of sales against me!:D

Fire:cool2:

One last thing, IF you smoke do not smoke in your booth at outdoor shows. I smoke and when I get a chance for a break I go far away from the vendors. I just did a show last week where a man and his daughter beside me smoked constantly plus they would approach people with a cigarette hanging out of their mouth. I watched customers step back away from their table when they were talking to them, and then just walked away.

Boy do I ever agree with you on this point! I fired a helper because ever two minutes, she was stepping out the back of the tent to chain smoke!:angry2: I paid her for 1 hour and told her to leave because I couldn't leave the booth to go to the bathroom because she was outside smoking and the smoke was drifting back into my booth! I was very angry!:lipsrseal

I smoke too but I totally leave the area when I lite up! I also wait at least an hour before another cigarette!

The scent draws them to my booth.Some just walk by and say candles smell good.Others stop and say it smells good in here.Would say that even with the lids.Decided this last show to burn candles.This also let's people see how they burn since that is a question I get asked alot.

For the person who said the pumpkin drew them to her booth but no one was interested it is the opposite for me.They come to my booth for scent, start looking around and see the pumpkin jar.I cannot keep those jars.Sell them within a couple hours and wish I had more. Also was asked by a several people if I will have Christmas containers.Didn't last year but sure will this year. Starting in November(Halloween over) people think Christmas. Holiday crocks people like for decoration BUT also it is that certain holiday scent. Just last night at Wal Mart a cashier asked me about a pine scented candle.Her boyfriend said he cannot find one.Well I have them so will give her one.A couple years ago I would not make a pine candle(had bad smelling one from Dollar Store) but people want them so I will make them.

Maggie.I have 2 oak bookcases and people love them.Put them out front and people compliment.Also have a riser with some candles.Bath and body I have a small riser that displays those good. Just got a rotating display for car air fresheners but did not use it this show as I need to make more frehseners for a display.I will like that when I set that up.

LynnS

I burned a lavender tart to attract customers and it worked. I also make a display as attractive as I possibly can. People seem to like variety, color, fragrance, things that attract them through their senses. I also give them a freebie when they buy something. Just for fun. I try to remember that they came to have a good time and looking at my booth should be a fun experience for them so I try to make it that way.

I have to admit it. I'm first drawn to the container. If it isn't going to look good sitting in my house then I'm not going to buy it. I suppose that goes along with color. Second would be scent. Third would be price.

What's looks if it ain't gonna burn good? So all of those, you listed, would out weigh quality, throw & burn?

If I was still a candle customer I would buy them for quality, I'm going to burn them not just look at a pretty container.

I think alot of you are forgeting that what you look like might help seal the deal on selling a candle. Even if your products do catch a buyers eye, they look at you next. If you look like a slob or your help does, nobody is going to buy from you.

In August I went to a craft show, there was a lady there. Her display looked like she had practiced setting it up for weeks. Products, looked really nice. Her candles were really bright colored. Very noticeable. Her prices were decent. But she looked dirty.

She had a tank top on that looked dirty, she didn't have a bra on, she had her hair pulled up half assed. You know she only sold 10 tarts the whole craft show. And I believe it was because of her appearance.

Candleman, you should know by now that some people could careless about the quality of a candle like we do. All they care about is the container and the scent.

Mindy :)

Quality is what keeps them coming back. For the initial purchase, it will probably be made on looks and smell, since they won't know the quality until they get it home. And you can't get them to take it home unless their first impression on the looks grabs their attention first.

That's why you see chandlers throw things out there without testing, to get that first sale and roll in the $. But they don't stay in business long, because they haven't learned that they gain more on return customers than always finding new ones.