Recipe for Lotion Candle?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You won't find a recipe for any 'lotion' candle from a reputable chandler on this or any other candle board, because most of us just won't subject our customers to this kind of danger!! All lotion candles are law suits waiting to happen IMHO, as a customer could burn themselves on hot wax or have a bad allergic reaction to the scents and/or coloring. Plus straight soy wax is not meant to be used as a lotion, as it could clog your pores. :shocked2: If you decide to pursue this type of candle you'd better make damn sure you have a GOOD liablity insurance in place first!!

When I first heard of these I started testing to duplicate anticipating these would be big sellers. I came up with a pretty cool trendy candle that will never see market. My insurer won't cover it read I'm not risking it.

Although these buggers seem trendy cool - you better have a LOT of insurance to cya. Good luck finding an insurer that will take that risk!

To quote my insurer " the concept is novel but this product is seriously lacking in common sense, places the consumer at high risk for injury"

edited to add: I agree with my insurer

Just send them my way. These are a BIG seller for me. I guess its just ignorance of people that dont follow directions. And yes I am insured for them as well. You just need to know how to make and lable them correctly. Also I just had carpul tunnel surgery two months ago and they had me do paraffin hand dips.And that wax was much hotter then the wax from my lotion candles. Does that mean its a lawsuit waiting to happen? I guess I better call my attorney.

awickedscent, You got someone to cover this? DISH! My insurer burned the candle, liked it & were aware of the purpose. The reason for denial wasn't the actual product (or ingredients) as the liability in assuming the general public could reasonably follow instructions other than caution on a product with a flame. The insurer also brought up skin care FDA approval. Seems like another hoop to jump thru. What was the cost/process in obtaining that seal ?

& If you don't mind my asking, whats your LC? Did you have to take out a separate policy? I have 3M for the bz & still they wouldn't allow this product. As sure as I'm typing this I'm certain if I added this to my line my insurer would cancel my policy lol (btw They know me I know them, 5 years now, no claims, it's not faceless nameless situation)

I'm testing a workaround product but even if it were a go seems like I would still need the seal to market it. imho marketing lotion as a candle is an accident waiting to happen. I was told even if the product is labeled correctly when a consumer is injured it doesn't diminish product liability or claim.

everything in my product is b&b safe and labled according to FDA. As for the insurance I have 1mil coverage. I guess it helps that my best friend owns the company and my other best friend who is my lawyer is partner for the largest law firm in the country and he has never sent me a bill for all the work he has done.

Almost all mall owners and some craft show promoters need you to have 2 million in insurance for you to even set up. One million is what we had way back in the 70's selling candles at shows. What ever you do make sure you call your product a lotion product not a lotion candle. If its a candle and it has enough scent to throw well it wont be skin safe. If its marketed as lotion you only need enough scent to make your hands smell nice. I think it becomes a cosmetic when you call it lotion and have to label it different. I would look into at least 2 million on the insurance if you start making/selling them.

What turned me off on them is seeing regular soy candle makers holding peoples hands and rubbing their candle wax all over them. It was tacky and according to the FDA (i think that's who regulates) against the law because you cant use your bare skin to rub something on someone else. Well, unless you are a licenced massage therapist.

There are many things that would be much better for your skin than soy wax so I dont see any use for the things myself.

Bruce

I don't agree with making them either. I really thought about it at one time....had people over the summer asking me at shows if I make them....but thinking about it...I just don't think its something good to have around kids.

I did see that some are made of

"botanical ingredients, Pure shea butter. Rich avocado, olive, and coconut oils. Soothing aloe, Exotic jojoba, mild soy and beeswax round out the base ingredients. To this blend we add pure essential oils and fragrances"

http://www.lotioncandles.com/home.html

So how they are made seems like to much work for me..lol

• 3 years later...

They are only unsafe if you are allergic to any of the ingredients, therefore, read directions thoroughly. I think that everyone should read the directions and ingredients on anything if they don't know what they're doing. If you feel that I am wrong that's cool for you, dude...diff strokes for diff folks...but what I don't understand is how a person can sue someone in good conscience for their own ignorance...that's the equivalent of that goofy person who sued McDonald's because they got fat from eating it every day. Wow. Big duhh there.

They are also unsafe if you're dumb enough to stick your hand in anything while it's burning. You are supposed to COMPLETELY extinguish the candle first and let the wax cool very slightly. It's not just soy wax either- they're usually made of pure diluted essential oils (SAFE) and Skin SAFE (& skin loving) butters such as shea or almond etc.

P.s. not sure on measurements but play around, but they're pretty much butters as i said before, essential oils/fragrance oils that are SKIN SAFE, soy wax (not paraffin) and a fixed/carrier oil (Jojoba, Olive, Sweet almond, etc.) and vitamin E as a preservative.

ALMOST FORGOT!! the ingredients are meant to be added to a double boiler and heated until melted, then poured into a container with some sort of lid (such as a thick glass jar i.e. a mason jar-type container) with a wick (obviously) in the container. I've also recently discovered candle adhesive which is awesome for sticking the wick to the bottom of the container before pouring the stuff in. :)

Like i said as well, sorry for lack of detail on the measurements...when i made mine i just played around 'till i came up with the right consistency. I also found that if you add more oils than wax, you can make salves and do not need to make the candle version, but the candle version is just so much fun!

And just for extra clarification, they sell these candles at Rite Aid's and Walgreen's and many other drug stores...i haven't heard of anyone getting "sued" over these, but eh. Be careful, find out/be aware of what you're allergic to, and use the candles safely and i promise you the world of lotion candles is NOT out to destroy humankind!! ;)

Blessings,

Sarah

Edited by CandleMagick)o(
forgot to add a detail

Unfortunately, people sue others because of their own stupidity every day. Even if they didn't follow instructions, or didn't use the product (anything, not just a lotion candle) as described. It's always someone else's fault when things go wrong.

As an avid candle and lotion consumer only (new to candle making and obviously not a seller), I'm confused by this product and don't think I would ever buy one as I don't see the purpose. It's a lot quicker to squeeze out some lotion from a dispenser when I need it. Why wait for my candle to burn long enough to use the hot wax? It's just a little weird, IMO...

I like the IDEA but the execution - not so much

why would it be nice? warmth is very pleasant, and seems to help the "lotion" absorb into the skin. have you never had a manicure or pedicure with a hot paraffin dip? if not, you should. really.

AND it could be a very sensual thing, I think. room lit with candles, a warm massage from your lover...

Edited by CareBear

These candles are pretty popular arround here. Actually almost every candleshop here will have on stock "massage soy" which is nothing more than ecosoya advanced. I think its a novel idea also but it depends on where ya are. I mean here you don't need any insurance to sell candles as it is concidered to be made by artisans. But stupidly enough you need a license from the state to sell at artisan fairs.

Dan

Wow, I've never seen or heard of these before. I think they sound wonderful. I'm sure they would be a liability but I personally don't see where they would be any worse than candles. The caution would be to extnguish before using as a lotion just like you have to extinguish before going to bed or leaving the house. I would think that the liability of a regular candle would be worse. It's easy to forget to blow out candles before leaving or going to bed (I'm guilty of this from time to time) but it would be a litttle harder to forget to blow it out before sticking my hand or finger in it!!! Just my opinion. Not something I would want to make but I'd love to try one!

Unfortunately, people sue others because of their own stupidity every day. Even if they didn't follow instructions, or didn't use the product (anything, not just a lotion candle) as described. It's always someone else's fault when things go wrong.

And it makes me sick that we've gotten to this point. If somebody does something stupid, they ought to be held accountable for it. Mollycoddling is BS. The ones who were well-intended will learn and be smarter, and the criminally minded will no longer be allowed to be.

I've been testing them for a few weeks, I'm loving the results but still conflicted as to whether or not I would sell them, even WITH 2mil in coverage.

Mine have cocoa, shea, sweet almond, and skin safe FO in them. The wax has not ONCE been too hot to pour directly on the skin.. I tested them at 5-10-15-20-25-30-45 minute intervals.. even after 45 minutes the wax was still safe, even immediately after blowing out the wick, to pour onto bare skin. BUT, who's to say someone who didnt read the instructions wouldnt burn it for 3 hours and then dump it on their hubby's bare back, you know? In my testing, it never got hotter than parrafin dip would... but things can go wrong.

My interest in these came from massage therapy. I went to school for it, and was (is) licensed in Washington state.. but not in Utah where we moved to, and I never made enough money to bother retesting and renewing here. BUT, I still have alot of friends who do it, and they asked me about them when they heard I make candles.

Most of us warm our oils/lotion before a massage anyways, have you ever had cold oils or lotion put on your back during a massage? Nooooooooooot fun. So this would eliminate that step, and clients find it really cool and fun. They are very nice... like a thick body butter, and the heat helps the ingredients sink in. Carebear hit the nail on the head... its a sensual, calming, relaxing thing to have a massage with a nice warmed oil or lotion. With a cold one.. yikes, not so much.

So like I said.. I love the results I've gotten, but I am still VERY conflicted on selling them and likely wont start any time soon. I'd need to consult my lawyer again before I considered it fully.