How important are bags?

KristinesShower

Do the style of bags REALLY matter?  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Do the style of bags REALLY matter?

• Yes, I buy what looks the BEST
    • No, I just use whatever is the cheapest
    • Other - please explain

I have been really battling this lately. Although I love the way my bags look - especially when I get compliments on the bag itself, but the price (the price!), it's always the price isn't it?

Long story short, I am really trying to cut costs here and there because of the new baby. I would like to give myself a raise :D

I am trying to think of new ways to cut costs, but not anything having to do with product itself. That is one place I never compromise - NEVER. So...on we go with the bag debate.

I would like to see what we all think about bags :undecided

I think a nice bag and a plastic bag is a total different in class of a business. I can't see me being happy spending 100 bucks on candles or whatever to have them put it into a plastic bag. (Not sure how cheap you're talking about here.)

Now, not knowing what you are currently using, I would suggest using a white bag with handles and slapping some company labels on them. Cheap cheap cheap!

I use paper bags with handles, there are many choices to choose from Gloss colored, Matt colored & printed designs. I cut scrap cardboard up to fit the bottom so the bag will hold heavy candles. I use my own printed labels on them, not ready to spend the money to have them printed.

Standard White or Kraft are the least expensive.

I went for those Nashville Wraps cub plastic bags. I had my company name stamped on them in gold foil. The compliments never end every time I whip one out. I wanted somthing sturdy enough so I never had to worry about a heavy candle falling through the bottom of it.

They were quite expensive with the foil stamp, and frankly, I don't think it was worth it, but they do make quite an impression. If I were to do it over I would simply get a plain frosted cub, or maybe even a kraft bag with the twisted handles (whatever theh officially called). I hate those cheap plastic t-shirt bags. When I ran out of my cubs I had to substitute those, and I swear, no one left here without everything being double bagged. Those things are flimsy!

Me as a customer I expect to see a nice bag in specialty gift shops.

Mine you, I use plain brown bags for the most part but if the customer spends $16 or more with me I use the paper handle bags. To me it just shows how much I care when a customer spends more.

I also wrap everything in the handle bags, I use plain news print paper or bubble wrap.

Are you including your costs into your pricing? This is part of your packaging expense. I include all those considerations in my pricing whether they get a bag or not. I generally include .05 for extra packaging, per candle! Now times that by retail x 3= 15 cents (10 cents profit) x 4= 20 cents (15 cents profit) per candle. If they just buy one candle or votives or something you really don't need a real expensive bag, I would go with a dark plastic that is still appealing but cheap. Now if they are buying multiple candles and one bag cost you .31 cents you should have no problem covering the cost of the bag and still making profit. If they buy 5 candles and you included .05 per candle for packing cost x your retail. .15 cents x 5 candles=.75 cents minus your expected costs .25= 50 cents profit and they walked away with a nice looking bag. I hoped this made sense, I'm not real good with math but I try :laugh2:

I love different style bags, but I haven't settled on anything yet. I started with white handled, then I went to dark green, now I'm on a sand/oatmeal type color, and I might eventually go with a preprinted kraft.. And I wrap each item in tissue.

I love fairs that are slow but people are walking around only with my bag :) aren't I mean :)

At market they just get paper bags, but that fits there.

Funny story - from one of my last fairs, "little ole lady" was aghast at soap that cost $5. But she bought a bar, and when she saw my bag "oh, well, at least the *bag* is worth something"

I think that you can use something nice without being expensive.

At farmer's market I just use kraft brown bags that you buy as lunch bags. (100 for around $2.00, sometimes less) I stamp all of the bags. It is very inexpensive, has a nice flat bottom on it for stacks of soap and goes with the whole market theme.

For fancy Christmas and craft shows I use kraft bags with handles. I had a roll of my logo stickers printed and use those for each bag. It really makes it more up scale. I use the stickers because they are 4" ovals and are perfect to put on my metal wash tubs that I display some of my products in.

You bags are very cute by the way....

I'm a total packaging whore. The bags are very important to me, but I hear ya on the cost. I bought the same bags along with the black and pink polka dots to use at shows. It helps a little bit to live close to them, since they give free local shipping for orders of $150 or more, but I can still feel the pocketbook pain.

Not really - I emailed them when they first started and explained that I was basing my whole line (as well as a bajillion labels) on that design. They were very nice and told me that even if they got rid of them, they would special order them for me :)

But the colored bags are pretty expensive too - Yeah, I hear ya about the thank you bag...I really don't want to go with it either lol

What do you guys think about this bag:

SG0TE.jpg

It isn't like the cheapy bags, it is actually a heavier duty bag and only 3¢ each!

Not really - I emailed them when they first started and explained that I was basing my whole line (as well as a bajillion labels) on that design. They were very nice and told me that even if they got rid of them, they would special order them for me :)

But the colored bags are pretty expensive too - Yeah, I hear ya about the thank you bag...I really don't want to go with it either lol

What do you guys think about this bag:

SG0TE.jpg

It isn't like the cheapy bags, it is actually a heavier duty bag and only 3¢ each!

I personally carry bags simular to that for small items(1 soap, lotion bar, 1 butter etc.) I carry very nice bags that have a cardboard bottom to them for heavier items(candles or multiple items). Sorry not much help on saving you money:undecided

I have to agree... the bag you listed is fine for small purchases.. print your own labels and put them on it. I like U-line prices for all other bags. I have my white bags stamped with my logo. I looks great and you can use gold, or whatever color you like.. and change it up when you want a new look.. some inexpensive stamp makers on ebay.. you can use a nice teal stamp on white bags or a rainbow stamp ... would match great with your smaller bags..

I like nice bags if I am spending a lot on bath/body stuff because usually it is for a gift. I would rather pay a little more for a product to have it in a nice bag. I would keep the bags with the dots. So Nashville Wraps doesn't mind you using that dot pattern in your logo? I am using one of their lines of bags/boxes for some of my candles and it would be nice to incorporate the colors/patterns into the labels of mine.