candles and soap poll

candlenose

most money-soap or candles  

49 members have voted

1. 1. most money-soap or candles

I have a retail store, and as of right now no wholesale, so my answer will be all retail.

I make both, more candles than B&B. I find it is very seasonal I sell candles most of the year but when it gets hot candles sales go down and I try to make up for it with B&B.

I also have added balloons, Balloon Decorating, and silk flower arrangements to help with the seasonal sales of candles.

This should get good. A full bath line can do great. A full candle line will typically outsell the BB unless a spring and summer show and they usually suck anyway. Novelty stupid crap do very well at craft shows, like the fancier gel candles etc. (they are cool looking) The best is to have both but that would need a clever plan and some money.

I do both, but I started with candles and added soaps some time later. So my candle clientele has had a longer period of time in which to get established with me, know what I mean? So my candle sales outstrip B&B. However, soap sales are steadily increasing. I've just been selling it for less time, so I still consider myself to be still getting established with soap lovers, whereas I'm much better established as a candle seller. Make sense? Hope so! :)

Just starting MP bar soap so cannot answer which is best.I will say I make candles and did try the antibacterial base soap and lotion and not good in this area but I am still going for bar soap.My husband sold the anti-soap at work and a couple guys really liked it and my friend got that and lotion for a auctioneer and his staff and also for a wedding party group.So that was my selling for the antibacterial soap and lotion.Not at craft shows but friends/people we know.

I am thinking about some kids soap and also guest soap for my website and for shows kids soap.It is so small after a few baths it will be gone.Still kids will like it and have fun.Want to try fish in a bag.Have wanted to for 2 years now.I think kids would really love that.

LynnS

I started making only candles and then added some lotion/butter bases and some mp soap. As far as retail goes, the b&b far outsell the candles. But for wholesale I do much better with candles. I've recently started trying to make my own b&b products since they're doing so much better than the candles. Between the wholesale and the retail though, it pretty much evens out for me.

I do both, but I started with candles and added soaps some time later. So my candle clientele has had a longer period of time in which to get established with me, know what I mean? So my candle sales outstrip B&B. However, soap sales are steadily increasing. I've just been selling it for less time, so I still consider myself to be still getting established with soap lovers, whereas I'm much better established as a candle seller. Make sense? Hope so! :)

Ditto!

I have more room for profit on soap/b&b, so per item I make more, but I still sell more candles, so in volume I make more there!

Yup, that was me. Started out with candles, sold them exclusively for 2 years. Did pretty good during the holidays, and with local work people. Looked for a product to fill the dead summer months, stumbled on soap. For the last 2 years I've just about stopped candles and gone exclusively to soaps. The only candles I do now match my best seller scents.

It's been difficult to make the full switch. The B&B income had to climb while the candle income dropped. So I had a slowish year last year.

For me it's much easier. Candles I made to order - I didn't ever stock any except for some votives. So if I got an order, I had to rush around to make it. Now when I get orders, I pull most of it off the shelf. I'm more in control, so for my situation (full time day job) it works better.

B&B is still kind of a niche market. You can tell at fairs - there are soap customers, and there are customers who don't even think about soap. Was the same deal with candles.

Couldn`t remember who said it Sara, tried to go back thur post :undecided . Dont want to use names and misquote anyone.

No worries at all. :)

So much of how you do, too, I think, is dependant on marketing/business end of your venture and what your goals are. At this point in time I rely on Google, past orders and simple word of mouth because I don't really want to be too terribly busy. And I do not want to push the candles at all.

So much seems to depends on how much you're willing to work in marketing your products, demographics in addition to what products you offer.