Colored or uncolored soy candles?

For those of you who have sold both, which do your customers prefer, colored or uncolored? I love color but if the candle is in the right jar and has the right look I think uncolored is very classy. Thanks for any input. :)

I think just like anything else, it's a preference thing...as well as a regional thing. I know people here wouldn't buy an uncolored candle but I have seen them elsewhere and they sell really good...I know that's not any kind of definitive answer for you, but when it comes to personal preference there really isn't any. HTH

I think just like anything else, it's a preference thing...as well as a regional thing. I know people here wouldn't buy an uncolored candle but I have seen them elsewhere and they sell really good...I know that's not any kind of definitive answer for you, but when it comes to personal preference there really isn't any. HTH

Thanks Country Gal for your input. :) I am in a dilemma. Now that I work out in the shop (not in my kitchen anymore) there is going to be a lot more problem with frosting. I do not mind frost but not if it is overkill. It has been cool the last couple of days and the last couple of nights got down to 40. I made a Caramel Cin. Latte candle last evening in my frosted jar and woke up this morning to bad frost -- way more than I like. Even if I make them earlier in the day, it will still be a problem because I do not want to sufficate myself in the winter with FO fumes with the heater constantly running and no circulating air. I do not want to leave it on all night either. It would cost a fortune even though it is a economical one. So, I thought since I was making some changes anyway with the jars I am using for my soy and style of label/tag, etc., I thought it might be ok to go colorless. I am just afraid that people will rather have color. I will be offering another line with a soy/paraffin blend which I will still color. However, I will not be offering all the same scents in each line. I would not want people to be discouraged to buy the soy candles over the soy/para blend just because they are not colored.

I will ask around and see what people around here think. I tend to like color unless I am looking at those higher end candles in the stores. I will see. Thanks again. :)

I've never colored my soy candles and I've had more people tell me they like them better not colored b/c they can put the candle in any room in their house and not have to worry about the color of the candle not matching their room. HTH Cindy/WI

I've never colored my soy candles and I've had more people tell me they like them better not colored b/c they can put the candle in any room in their house and not have to worry about the color of the candle not matching their room. HTH Cindy/WI

Thanks Cindy for your input. :) I have noticed that it is quite common that people want to coordinate the color of candles with their house decor color. I have a friend that even gets picky about the shade of a candle color -- likes a lighter shade than the darker one, etc.

~Holly~, they are two different products. Why should they not be different? Just go for it. Trust me, the world will not end. :wink2:

Hi Eugenia, yes, this is what I tell myself. I guess I just needed a little encouragement before I made my decision to change it. There are just so many colors that are so beautiful in the pure soy that it is hard to part with....like the soft lavender color in a lavender candle. You are right, the world will not end. :grin2: I will make it work. :)

Hi Holly.

I don't sell candles. However, last time I purchased candles, I chose colorless. I liked that I had a choice "to color or not to color". And, as has been mentioned, I didn't have to worry about the color clashing with the room.

Just a little perspective from a buyers point of view.

:grin2:

I'm using colorless parasoy blend in the libbey's status jar. It looks very classy and have only sold to family and they didn't even question it being colorless. In all honestly I don't think they noticed it wasn't colored...smelled it and said how pretty it looked. My reasoning for colorless was to cut the cost of the candle. If anyone asks I'll say so it'll go with any decor.

I prefer color but if a request I will do candles without color.I agree about frosting.It does happen in my basement but I am going to bring candles up tonight or put in box and cover.It is maybe 60 tonight.Lower than that I would worry.

I see I have a candle that is pretty and am proud of it.Then my friends also say it really does look good.So it is preference.I just never look at it whether candle matches my decor.I guess some would but never has bothered anyone so far I have sold candles to.:undecided

My experience has been my customers smell my candles first and foremost, they really don't care about the color...their most important factor is scent. But I do tend to like colorless in an elegant jar...it's minimalistic. Which is a look I personally like.

I have always done my soy uncolored. I can tell you that I have fell in love with uncolored candles. Of course when trying new waxes I always want to color them for some reason? Old habits I guess are hard to break but the color doesn't do anything for me now. I personally prefer the uncolored container candles and think it looks more elegant. I do all the rest in colors, tarts, votives, pillars. Also, I think the containers throw/burn better without the color in them. Good luck in whatever you decide :)

I was at a friend's house last night watching the Carolina - Miss. State footabll game and he had decorated his mantel and a table with a total of about 22 - 3 inch round pillars of different heights and two ball candles (same size) and they were all colorless paraffins. The way that he had done it looked really good. :wink2:

I mix my color and noncolored candles up a bit:

I color my votives, tarts, and pillars, and make my jars with no color. I, too, got tired of fighting the frosting with the soy waxes, so I decided about a year ago to eliminate it from my jar candles. My customers did not care one way or the other. I have had comments pertaining to my jar candles on how great it is to be able to put any fragrance in a room without having to worry about color coordination. It is a toss up, when it comes to the customer base you deal with in your area, but having color in some candles and not in my jars has worked out great for me. HTH

I am going to experiment with a new jar and leave the soy uncolored (I've always colored mine). Just think this new jar would look great without color. Anyway, I've seen some uncolored soy candles that look pretty yellow (certain FOs). Is this a problem that some of you have?

Thanks!

Liz D.

Thanks Country Gal for your input. :) I am in a dilemma. Now that I work out in the shop (not in my kitchen anymore) there is going to be a lot more problem with frosting. I do not mind frost but not if it is overkill. It has been cool the last couple of days and the last couple of nights got down to 40. I made a Caramel Cin. Latte candle last evening in my frosted jar and woke up this morning to bad frost -- way more than I like. Even if I make them earlier in the day, it will still be a problem because I do not want to sufficate myself in the winter with FO fumes with the heater constantly running and no circulating air. I do not want to leave it on all night either. It would cost a fortune even though it is a economical one. So, I thought since I was making some changes anyway with the jars I am using for my soy and style of label/tag, etc., I thought it might be ok to go colorless. I am just afraid that people will rather have color. I will be offering another line with a soy/paraffin blend which I will still color. However, I will not be offering all the same scents in each line. I would not want people to be discouraged to buy the soy candles over the soy/para blend just because they are not colored.

I will ask around and see what people around here think. I tend to like color unless I am looking at those higher end candles in the stores. I will see. Thanks again. :)

Holli, are you still using the Frostop? Would like an update...

Holli, are you still using the Frostop? Would like an update...

Hi Sharon. :) I was gone all day today and most of yesterday. I am so pooped. :tongue2: I will try to give some info on Frostop, etc. tomorrow. I do have company coming, but I am sure I will have some time tomorrow.

Thanks everyone for your responses regarding colorless candles. I will try to respond more tomorrow.

~Holly

I was watching this thread because I was just thinking of doing the same thing - making mine w/o color.

When I looked at the high-end lines at Illuminations long ago - before I ever made candles, believe it or not, it never even entered my mind that they weren't colored. Sorry to say, like most of the public, it was the packaging and FO that got me to buy the candle (Er'go).

Now that I make them, it is HOW they burn that I'm most interested in. If I would guess, for the public, it would be how they smell.

The ONLY time that I would say that dye would be a glaring omission would be in containers that really scream out for a color - for instance, those pumpkin jars everyone makes this time of year - I just couldn't see them done in white soy wax.