Snowball Bath Bombs!

kangarooblue

Hey all,

As requested, here's my tried & true recipe that I've used for years now, this is also the same recipe I used at the Chicago Conference demo ;)

If you are like me that can't tell what 'wet sand' consistency is, then this is definitely for you! so far, this has worked out for me beautifully.

I don't color this bath bomb they look just like a snowball after I'm done with them lol.

Dry Phase

2 cups baking soda

1 cup citric acid

1 cup cornstarch

Wet Phase

1/3 cup Safflower oil

1-1/4 T. Peppermint E/O

2 T. water

Directions

Combine dry phase in mixing bowl. Combine wet phase in small jar and shake well. SLOWLY add wet phase to dry phase, whipping with a whisk as you go. If the mixture starts to fizz you are adding the liquid too fast and or not stirring fast enough. Once all incorporated, use bath bomb press to scoop mixture up and pack it in tight through the two holes. Gently tap on hard surface and release top half slowly by pushing your finger through the top hole, turn upside down and repeat. If mixture gets dry at the end of batch, add a little more oil and mix well this will stop fizzing or cracking! Lay bath bombs on paper bag over night and package! These bombs are packaged in 3" x 8" poly bags fits 2 bombs perfectly! Each bomb weighs approx. 2.2 oz.

Let me know if you are interested in making this in a virtual class setting here on candletech.

Go on, try it and post your results and picture here! I would love to see them all. :wink2:

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks!

I would LOVE a virtual class!

I am a hobbyist and try to do bath bombs with my kids. We have yet to do a successful batch of rounds..the mix is either too dry or wet (setting off the reaction) and yesterday we tried a tip about puttin moist stuff into baking soda before adding cytric acid, it was terrible, we had to throw away the whole batch because when we added the CA it started the reaction.

So we will make these today! *crosses fingers*

Also what is the press you use? A meatballer?

best,

ilona

Question Kitty. I've seen borax used in a myriad of different recipies, from liquid soaps to regular soaps, sugar scrubs, and now bath bombs. My question is, what does it really add to the final product, what is the reason for using it? To me, looking at that big green box, it's just laundry soap, and I can't imagine rubbing it on me or soaking in it. Now, I make some mean "super slime" with it.. lol

Would you straighten me out please??

Some people have cited studies where borax was deemed to slow brain development in children. That was large amounts, though

Look at the amount of borax in this recipe. it's a very small amount. divided among at least 8 BB and then diluted in about 35 gallons of water, it would be barely a trace.

If you're leery about it, you could probably omit it completely

Sorry that I haven't been around...

Bunny and all: he purpose of the borax is to emulsify the water and oil, the amount used in here isn't significant enough to harm (I haven't seen the study tho), if you can skip it and add more baking soda.

Ilona: The press that I mentioned is the bath bomb press aka meatballer, or you can use the xmas ornament or even cooking measurement cups :) How did your batch come out??

Ann: you can sub out 1 cup of baking soda with SLSa, I have tried that as well and it bubbles like mad hehee.

I remember the big debate about borax on the old forum, so I called the company at that time and they NO, not to use it in bath products as its not healthy/safe. So I questioned her as to why it was ok for baby clothing but not the skin directly and she said that soaking in it is alot different than wearing things that's been washed in it!

So I used the box I bought for one batch of bombs and stopped. I made a personal decision not to use it if I was selling it to the public, as I didn't want any adverse reactions that could have been traced back to this ingredient that the manufacturer said not to use to bath'n body products. :smiley2:

Thanks Maryann for sharing your insights, I just removed it from my recipe.. Better safe than sorry lol.

Kitty

I remember the big debate about borax on the old forum, so I called the company at that time and they NO, not to use it in bath products as its not healthy/safe. So I questioned her as to why it was ok for baby clothing but not the skin directly and she said that soaking in it is alot different than wearing things that's been washed in it!

So I used the box I bought for one batch of bombs and stopped. I made a personal decision not to use it if I was selling it to the public, as I didn't want any adverse reactions that could have been traced back to this ingredient that the manufacturer said not to use to bath'n body products. :smiley2:

I tried these and I don't know what I was doing wrong, went directly by the recipe, even had to add more oil to get them to pack tight. Let them set for 3 days and they crumble so bad. You can't hardly pick one up w/o it crumbling to pieces. I did use a scrap one and it of course with the added oil made the bath water really oily, but dang, I didn't even have to use lotion afterwards. Not sure why they crumbled so bad.:undecided Portia

• 3 months later...

I used this recipie right before Christmas and added very large LOVELY looking snowballs to my gift baskets for family. :yay: They were scented in peppermint vanilla. Yummy. I used the big clear plastic ornament ball that the oh so sweet and smart Raggedy Dani gave me in my Secret Santa package.:yay: The only thing I did differently is to not add the water. I did have to 'wet' my hands with additional oil throughout the process though. But that's how I do things, I stir with my entire hands- it's quicker and more precise. The water scared me so I just didn't add it! I did do some witch hazel spritzing by the time I got to the bottom of the bowl though - just remembered that part. Thank you so much for sharing. It felt good to make some solid and pretty bombs for once!

I made these on Saturday night, my first try at bath bombs. This recipe is very easy to follow and my bath bombs came out perfectly! Thank you for sharing this recipe!! I was so nervous about getting them into the molds without things drying out but I honestly didn't have any problems at all. I haven't tested them yet. I have a horribly small bathtub so my daughter and my sister are my testers since they have nice big tubs.

One thing I wanted to know, would it be possible to at SLSa to this recipe to get a bubble bath bomb?

I made these on Saturday night, my first try at bath bombs. This recipe is very easy to follow and my bath bombs came out perfectly! Thank you for sharing this recipe!! I was so nervous about getting them into the molds without things drying out but I honestly didn't have any problems at all. I haven't tested them yet. I have a horribly small bathtub so my daughter and my sister are my testers since they have nice big tubs.

One thing I wanted to know, would it be possible to at SLSa to this recipe to get a bubble bath bomb?

Glad you had success with your bombs on the first try. My first try was a complete mess. I mean a real complete mess. I just kept trying now I think I am a pro. Just kidding. :D

I have never tried to make bubble bombs. From what I have read.......it won't work. The bombs don't keep their shape because of the SLS added.

• 4 weeks later...